New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Build Challenge. The X-men

Alright guys, after playing a little Marvel Ultimate Alliance I have decided to offer a challenge thread to everyone. Anyone and everyone can offer a build or an idea for a build. The plan here is to post builds or requests for others to make a build for your favourite X-man. Anything goes as far as sources, and we will do things at level 20 just to give the maximum opportunity to make the characters as close to the source material as possible. That being said, lets cut to the chase. I will start things off with an offer to build my favourite of all time Gambit. To define his powers I will copy and paste directly from Wikipedia.

"Gambit is a mutant whose primary ability is the manipulation of energy. He uses the bio-kinetic energy his body produces to convert the potential energy of non-living matter into kinetic energy. The conversion process, referred to as charging, often results in a violent and powerful explosion. The explosion is proportional to the size of the object. In his first appearance and first demonstration of his powers he charges an object via an aura emitted from his eyes, rather than through physical contact. Because energy charges his body, Gambit has greater strength, stamina and agility than any non-powered human, able to leap from rooftop to rooftop, run across ropes and powerlines and do a quintuple somersault. He also possesses a hypnotic charm that allows him to exert a subtle influence over sentient beings, leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions. This charm is so powerful that if given a chance, Gambit could charm the Shadow King.[1] However, the charm does not work on those who know about it. During combat, Gambit customarily wears a suit of highly articulated light body armor and uses a telescopic metal staff. He is extensively trained in martial arts, particularly French kick-boxing or savate and the staff style art Bojutsu. He is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, using street-fighting techniques and acrobatics. Gambit is a skilled card-thrower, and throws charged playing cards with great accuracy at opponents. He also excels in all aspects of thievery, as he was adopted by the patriarch of a Thieves' Guild.

Alright so there it is. For an initial idea the only thing off the top of my head that would fit his kinetic charging of objects would be explosive runes. However that would not fit his varying degree of damage based on the size of the object. But anywho I won't spoil the first challenge until I get some feedback from everyone. So alright thinkers lets see what you got.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Build Challenge. The X-men

gambit is a bard with 9th level sorc casting. he has the enchantment focus because he is more suave than everyone, high CHA, and has blastings because of his Sorc casting, but also uses his quartersstaff to good use.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Two levels of sword sage and Ascetic Mage feat for CHA to AC plus some melee umpf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Fire Seeds is closer to what he does than explosive runes. That way he can either just throw stuff and have it explode, or make it blow up on command, rather than requiring others to look at it.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strange.Rich himself already did this.

Cyclops had Scorching Ray. (eyes)
    Storm had Control Weather.
    Jean had Telekinesis.

It's been a while, and I leant my start of darkness to a friend so I don't know what else he did.

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Psion with Blasting Abilities maybe ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    Psion with Blasting Abilities maybe ?
    I was thinking Wilder. Charisma-based, better BAB, and he really doesn't need a huge number of powers to simulate the things he can do.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

I would've started with Rogue/Psion, but the others sound pretty good (and I don't know anything about Psionics, it just seems like they should be able to do something like that).

Wolverine obviously has fast healing and regeneration through the roof. I'd probably make him half-golem, or at least golem-grafted (whatever that's called), too.

Who's the girl noone likes with the sparkles? I presume she'd be a Bard or Sorcerer, focussing on Prestidigitation and Magic Missile.

Slightly different angle for you: The X-Men all have one or two intrinsic traits or abilities that they more or less have from birth, right? Not generally enough to constitute a whole class? What if these are more like inherited templates or unique "racial" abilities, but they were in the/a D&D universe and could take classes and acquired templates? What direction do you think they'd go in?
    So, for example, Wolverine would start out as Human Warrior 1 with Fast Healing 10/round and Regeneration. What would he do? Probably one of the easiest of the lot: Barbarian, though I hear you can do a lot with Tomb of Battle.
    I know a lot of the time it'll be pretty much the same thing (I reckon Gambit'd go for Rogue/Sorcerer), but, iunno, could be a different angle...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Gambit is a psiwar. The energize and explosive weapon powers and al...
    The professor is a psion.
    Jean Grey is a wilder.
    Cyclops is a warlock.
    Nightcrawler is a horizon walker.
    Magneto is a wizard.
    Beast is an anthropomorhic warblade
    Mystique is a doppelganger factotum
    Storm is a druid
    Psylocke is a master of the unseen hand

thats it for now...
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Seems to me like a warlock with refluffed invocations or homebrew invocations would be your best bet for most of these. Infinite uses and all that jazz. Most of the energy abilities could just be eldritch blast.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-06-17 at 02:52 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Nice ideas everyone. Ill have to look into some of them for good old gambit. I actually have made colossus and ghost rider for a Marvel universe module I ran. Colossus was a half Feral Half Iron Golem with levels of Warblade. And Ghost Rider was a Duskblade/Warlock into hellfire warlock and then Eldritch Theurge. He was awesome...not really xmen but sorta fitting. I was thinking wolverine would be well done with a shifter soul blade with the feral template
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Actually I have seen Wolverine be stated as a shifter totem rager, with sphinx claws binded to the hand chakra

Common look at the image and tell me they aren't wolverine
    Spoiler
    Show

Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Hahahaha, that is spot on sir. Spot on indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    Magneto is a wizard.
    Maybe a Wu Jen focused on metal-list spells?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I always thought that a metal oriented wu jen would make a good magneto. Something with transmutation on objects too. As he can manipulate metal to form other shapes. Perhaps that prestige from the dragon compendium from the metal wu jen. I can't remember the name of it. But they get an ability to turn things into other things. You could just say it only works on metal objects as flavour.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by G3N3R3L GHOST View Post
    I always thought that a metal oriented wu jen would make a good magneto. Something with transmutation on objects too. As he can manipulate metal to form other shapes. Perhaps that prestige from the dragon compendium from the metal wu jen. I can't remember the name of it. But they get an ability to turn things into other things. You could just say it only works on metal objects as flavour.
    To add flavor, you need to increase it's potency on what it does affect, while eliminating it from affecting other items.

See also: Goliath Druid variant in RoS.
    Gain: More powerful Earth Elemental.
    Lose: Other Elementals.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracons View Post
    Strange.Rich himself already did this.

Cyclops had Scorching Ray. (eyes)
    Storm had Control Weather.
    Jean had Telekinesis.

It's been a while, and I leant my start of darkness to a friend so I don't know what else he did.
    Jean had "Telekinesis. And sometimes Fireball"
    Colossus had "Iron Body, comrade!"
    Wolverine had "Wait, are sorcerers even proficient in these things?"
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Oh you know who else would be awesome...Banshee. Screaming for massive sonic damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know who banshee is but a Maenad seems right up that alley (at least the shattering shout)

Spoiler
    Show
    Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I don't know who banshee is but a Maenad seems right up that alley (at least the shattering shout)
    Maenad Kineticist.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I think a Wilder seems a better option surginng euphoria and all that
    Just call me Dusk

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I think a Wilder seems a better option surginng euphoria and all that
    Kineticist so you can have Sonic Missile, Sonic Cone, Sonic Ball, Sonic Current and so forth.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Oh wow that is perfect. I didn't even think about psionics for that. I was looking into seeker of the song haha. But that would work perfectly.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Oh wow that is perfect. I didn't even think about psionics for that. I was looking into seeker of the song haha. But that would work perfectly.
    Always try Psionics first. It usually works better.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sabertooth: Frenzied Beserker focussed on Unarmed.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Eh, just slap the feral template on for claw attacks and a pounce and bam, done, sabertooth.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Im with the Frenzied to be Sabertooth. Perhaps feral shifter into frenzied berserker and then weretouched master for a little extra bestial flavour.

@ Anyone who knows. There was before mentioned psy warrior powers called energize and explosive weapons however I cannot find these things. Anyone know where they are at?
    Last edited by G3N3R3L GHOST; 2010-06-17 at 02:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Don't forget that Cyclops is to be found on a random island in the ocean.

For some reason, I see Wolverine as a Half Troll Were Wolverine Monk 20 with as many fast healing feats as possible.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I did a metal wu jen PrC for the latest PrC contest, not sure if it's what you're looking for though.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Needs some Fist of the Forest.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show