New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    On advertising, I do find the majority of adverts get much worse once you find out what they're advertising.
    Watching them on mute and guessing what they're advertising is a fun way to pass the break, unless you're me, because I never sit through adverts.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Most products will try to sell you on the quality of the product above others...even when the quality is not actually that good at all. It's not so much a matter of convincing you that they have a better quality, but a matter of convincing you that you need what they have in a way that you cannot describe.

As for perfume and other products where you can tell before buying it if it is any good...well, there are those who don't even bother to test the product. <.<; Yes, they are playing to human error, and no, I don't condone it, but that's what happens sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's not so much a matter of convincing you that they have a better quality, but a matter of convincing you that you need what they have in a way that you cannot describe.
    "Listerine was invented in the 19th century as powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in a very distilled form, as both a floor cleaner and a cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't a runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as a solution to "chronic halitosis", the faux medical term that the Listerine advertising group created in 1921 to describe bad breath. By creating a "medical condition" for which consumers now felt they needed a cure, Listerine created the market for their mouthwash. Until that time, bad breath was not conventionally considered catastrophe, but Listerine's ad campaign changed that. As the advertising scholar James B. Twitchell writes, "Listerine did not make mouthwash as much as it made halitosis." Listerine's new ads featured forlorn young women and men, eager for marriage but turned off by their mate's rotten breath. "Can I be happy with him in spite of that?" one maiden asked herself. In just seven years, the company's revenues rose from $115,000 to more than $8 million." -- Freakonomics
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

My family doesn't own a TV (we do 100% of our watching on the internet) but my grandparents live about six blocks away and we sometimes watch stuff with them. They always, always mute the ads, so much so that when I go to someone else's house where they don't, I find it shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I thought it was new and snazzy. But I shall steal it anyway! Besides, it sounds better than Angleterre. I also like Escocia, but I prefer Cymru.
    ME TOO. Also apparently in the Middle Ages it was spelled Cymry (which, Welsh people correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while, is still how the name of the people is spelt), which I think is even prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Ugh, boys. What's up with this football thing anyway? Something big going on?
    Whenever this World Spoon goes on we should just beam all football supporters into space. It'd clear a lot of the air as well.
    I'm actually enjoying it. There are so few people who really understand the game or care at all about it in the US, that it's not in the least bit mainstream, and I like knowing what's going on in a sport that's apparently too 'squishy' for us Americans? BLEH. You put most major league baseball pitchers next to any soccer player, and the pitchers look like marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    Im not into the world cup thing soccer bleh.
    American Football is real football.
    I've spent enough time watching soccer/football/futbol that American Football seems really, really slow to me. What, you mean they're stopping the clock again? They've only been running for thirty seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    I don't know. They seem to be talking about one of those sports not to the American taste, which is to say that it has goals and only goals as a measure of progress. We prefer sports with sub-divisions of accomplishments.
    Americans, I think, like to see people WIN. I know a lot of people complaining about all the draws going on in this year's world cup, because they feel like it doesn't 'count' properly. Until a couple years ago, as a matter of fact, the MLS didn't allow draws - they had essentially a shootout at the end, which is ridiculous and babying. I love that they're allowed to tie. I love that the season's play is absolutely just as valued as the Big Tournament at the end, as opposed to sports like baseball, where the whole years is basically one big qualifying round for the "World Series".

So I'm on the pro-soccer side. My dad has never been more thrilled with me.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    On advertising, I do find the majority of adverts get much worse once you find out what they're advertising.
    I've found that shampoo adverts are the worst. They all follow this simple pattern:

-A woman (who might or might not be naked) "swings" her hair in some impossible way by slowly moving her head in a circle.
    -An animated picture of hair getting repared by glowing spheres/ribbons/water
    -A sensual female voice telling you that it contains aloe vera/nutrients/superawesome DNA technology that makes your hair stronger and more beautiful.

Some of them might divert just a little bit from this pattern, but it's still brain-damagingly common.

Then there are the "expert is talking" ads, which are brain-damagingly boring.

And then there are a few really good ones. SVT's (the state-owned brodcasting company here in Sweden) campaign to get people to pay their TV-licence, while not really being advertising, comes to my mind. They've filmed a small to large choir who seeks up some seemingly random person, asks if he/she really is [insert name here], and sings a "thank you"-song for him/her because he/she paid his/her TV-licence. It's 100% real - they didn't see it coming - and the campaign has actually been highly successful. I don't remember the numbers, but the idea that it was 400'000 newly registrated television owners pop up in my head. I'm not sure if this is true, though...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-06-20 at 06:32 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I wasn't playing. I was officiating.
    And it was American Football. In Scotland.

Deary: Yours is such a strange perspective to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

Wow. I just changed my avatar. For like, the second time. Wow.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

I heard the worst advert this morning on the radio. It went on about how a "typical" world cup watching-session turns out (not very well apparently). I thought 'Oh, maybe it's for a football game based on the world cup and it's all "you can be different though!" actually this is a kind of okay advert as far as they go.' Nope. It then said something about food, out of the blue. Apparently not talking about your product 'til the last word is the best way to advertise Heinz Ketchup.

Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 01:48 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Deary: Yours is such a strange perspective to me.
    American Football. Played in Scotland. Involving a Swedish official (alongside the English one and the Scottish one, of course).

Teddy: The swedish TV Licencing ads have generally been pretty decent. One of the more quoted ones from when I grew up was the "Vill du ha en snigel pĺ ögat" ads. For the English speakers, there were ads with a young kid walking around asking people if they'd paid their TV Licence, and if they said they hadn't, the kid put a snail on their eye, and you saw a shot of them with a disgusted grimace on their face and a snail on their eye.. Not really their eyeball or anything, but on their closed eye.
    And the tag-line was "Do you want a snail on your eye".
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting. Over the last 36.5 hours, I've been tired, hyper and insane. At the same time. I also haven't slept since I woke up at 1:16 Saturday afternoon.
    Sleep deprivation is fun. However, I'm gonna cut my time short to make sure I'm not tired during the 6-ish hours I get with my girlfriend tomorrow.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

11. - Top - End - #281

Interesting. Over the last 36.5 hours, I've been tired, hyper and insane. At the same time. I also haven't slept since I woke up at 1:16 Saturday afternoon.
    Sleep deprivation is fun. However, I'm gonna cut my time short to make sure I'm not tired during the 6-ish hours I get with my girlfriend tomorrow.
    What you need sir, is some hot coffee. I find that no problem (insomnia included) cannot be solved with the addition of a pint or so of coffee.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    What you need sir, is some hot coffee. I find that no problem (insomnia included) cannot be solved with the addition of a pint or so of coffee.
    How 'bout a lack of coffee compounded by a dislike for it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Global thermonuclear war?
    caffine addiction?
    heart palpitations?

couldn't resist!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    caffine addiction?
    heart palpitations?

couldn't resist!
    Immunize yourself.
    Last edited by absolmorph; 2010-06-21 at 04:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    caffine addiction?
    heart palpitations?

couldn't resist!
    Okay fine. Not Global Thermonuclear war. That's solved by making a computer play all possible games of tic-tac-toe.
    Does anyone get the reference?
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

16. - Top - End - #286

Does anyone get the reference?
    A better question to ask is "does anyone not get the reference?"
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

17. - Top - End - #287
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've found that shampoo adverts are the worst. They all follow this simple pattern:

-A woman (who might or might not be naked) "swings" her hair in some impossible way by slowly moving her head in a circle.
    -An animated picture of hair getting repared by glowing spheres/ribbons/water
    -A sensual female voice telling you that it contains aloe vera/nutrients/superawesome DNA technology that makes your hair stronger and more beautiful.

Some of them might divert just a little bit from this pattern, but it's still brain-damagingly common.
    It's not just shampoo, nearly every cosmetic advert follows this format. Bonus points if the superawesome technology is quite obviously made up (I refuse to believe something called "nutrilium" exists. You cannot simply add "ium" to the end of something and make it a real scientific protein").

More bonus points if the product hasn't actually been used in the advert. Mascara adverts where "styled with fake lashes" appears at the bottom of the screen are my favourite.

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    More bonus points if the product hasn't actually been used in the advert. Mascara adverts where "styled with fake lashes" appears at the bottom of the screen are my favourite.
    I like the ones where they claim 97% of women agree with whatever they're trying to sell, then the small print at the bottom says "Out of a surveyed 400".
    BANG → !

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

It's not just shampoo, nearly every cosmetic advert follows this format.
    Well, that format was the precice shampoo format, but most cosmetics come pretty close.

Bonus points if the superawesome technology is quite obviously made up (I refuse to believe something called "nutrilium" exists. You cannot simply add "ium" to the end of something and make it a real scientific protein").
    I don't think I've seen especially much of that. Probably because of some law that protects us from it. I have seen "superawesome patented DNA technology" in one ad, though.

Haven't seen that, probably because of aforementioned laws. I think the advertisers prefere computer animations here in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I like the ones where they claim 97% of women agree with whatever they're trying to sell, then the small print at the bottom says "Out of a surveyed 400".
    "Let 10'000 women test our product, and then ask the ones who seem most happy with it about what they think about it."
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-06-21 at 06:23 AM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Banned

Gandalf Goes to the World Cup

"Great. He spends skill points on Perform (Vuvuzela), and now I need to make a Knowledge (Limits of My Own Sanity) skill check."

Today's telescreen moment: Since when have I had a microphone pickup in this laptop?

21. - Top - End - #291

"Let 10'000 women test our product, and then ask the ones who seem most happy with it about what they think about it."
    See, I don't even think they should go this far. They could easily say "We asked 400 women to test our product, and 97% of them agreed that it's bitchin'."

That'd still sell it.
    BANG → !

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

See, I don't even think they should go this far. They could easily say "We asked 400 women to test our product, and 97% of them agreed that it's bitchin'."

That'd still sell it.
    This reminds me of a survey one of the political parties around here made (because it's election year this year, politics is everywhere over here). I won't go closer on the details, but they made a survey around a rather ambiguous question, so that (I think) three out of four answers would seem to support them. They then waved around their fresh results and bragged that a large majority of people supported them in one of their primary questions. Facepalm-moment ensued.

Show

23. - Top - End - #293

They then waved around their fresh results and bragged that a large majority of people supported them in one of their primary questions. Facepalm-moment ensued.
    Hey, I like this idea.

Quick poll everyone, choose one of the two options:
    Is Dogmantra the best?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    BANG → !

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, I like this idea.

Is Dogmantra the best?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    No, no, no, no.. You're doing it wrong.

Flip a coin. if it comes up Heads, I win. Tails, you lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    No, no, no, no.. You're doing it wrong.

Flip a coin. if it comes up Heads, I win. Tails, you lose.
    I wanted to be heads
    Okay that's a lie, I always choose tails anyway
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 06:48 AM.
    BANG → !

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Archonic's guide to marketing statistics:

1) ask 50 bias people if it is good.
    2) display as percentage.
    3) charge the company millions for the rights to the survey
    4) ???
    5) profit
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2010-06-21 at 06:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I like this idea.

Is Dogmantra the best?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    More like:

Do you think that Teddy has the right to think that he's really awesome?
    1. Absolutely
    2. Yes
    3. I wouldn't say no
    4. No, and he should be torn into bloody pieces and burn in hell

If you answer 1, 2 or 3, that means I'm the best in the world.

Show

28. - Top - End - #298

More like:

Do you think that Teddy has the right to think that he's really awesome?
    1. Absolutely
    2. Yes
    3. I wouldn't say no
    4. No, and he should be torn into bloody pieces and burn in hell

If you answer 1, 2 or 3, that means I'm the best in the world.
    But that actually decreases your chances of a clear majority. Okay, so maybe 10% say absolutely, 12% say yes and 29% say that they wouldn't say no, but then you get 49% who say that you should be torn into bloody pieces. That looks like a pretty clear majority to me.
    BANG → !

29. - Top - End - #299

This discussion makes me think of Yes, Prime Minister's take on surveys.

Also how the foreign office typically gets its way according to a different episode, but I can't find the clip on youtube.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

damn it!
    now i'm going to be watching "Yes Minister"/"Yes Prime Minister" all day!
    Spoiler
    Show