New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Items that give extra turn undead attempts?

Can anybody point a few of these out to me? I'm currently playing a Paladin who could make great use of these. I currently can't afford a better cloak of charisma unfortunately.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-17 at 06:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Items that give extra turn undead attempts?

Nightstick, Libris mortis.

EDIT: Paladin? Hope you're using them to fuel Divine feats, and not actually turning with them...
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-17 at 06:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Reliquary Holy Symbol, Magic Item Compendium.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Nightstick, Libris mortis.

EDIT: Paladin? Hope you're using them to fuel Divine feats, and not actually turning with them...
    Actually, this is a homebrew version of Paladin. A lot of the features of the class work off of turn undead attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Reliquary Holy Symbol, Magic Item Compendium.
    I'll look for this too.

EDIT: if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-17 at 06:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    EDIT: if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?
    You don't gain any extra turning attempts from Reliquary Holy Symbol with Extra Turning. It gives you one for 5 ranks in Know: Religion, one for Improved Turning, and one for a Divine feat. They're if-then statements, so you don't get extra if you have more Divine feats for example.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?
    The Nightstick and Reliquary Holy Symbol work in addition to your extra turning feat(s). Note that you can only use one Nightstick and one Reliquary Holy Symbol.

EDIT: For example Extra Turning (4) + Extra Turning (4) + Nightstick (4) + Reliquary Holy Symbol (2 - with Divine Feat & Religion Skills) = 14 turns. Just need to add in your base of 3 turns + charima bonus.
    Last edited by aeauseth; 2010-06-17 at 06:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Thank you. I just wanted to be sure.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aeauseth View Post
    Note that you can only use one Nightstick and one Reliquary Holy Symbol.
    The former tends to be a subject of dispute.

The usual conclusion is that by the Rules as Written, they stack, but that they should be houseruled to work the other way.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Note that you can only use one Nightstick
    That is a common house rule, but it is not RAW.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Considering my DM would kill me if I tried stacking on too many turn undead attempts I'll avoid using more than two nightsticks at most.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That is a common house rule, but it is not RAW.
    Are you sure? I'd like to hear thoughts on this. The nightstick has NO charges. It temporarily increases your turns by +4 to anyone who possesses the rod.

For example: You have 10 turns/day. Pickup (possess) a nightstick so now have 14 turns/day. Use up 12 turns (on whatever) so 2 left for the day. Drop nightstick so you have 12 used and none left (ok ,-2 left). Pick up a new nightstick and you have 14 turns/day but have already used 12, so only 2 left to use today.

By the FAQ turns are kept track of by how many you have used, not how many are left. The DMG states that bonuses from the same named source do not stack (except for Luck and some Cirsumstance's).

I just don't see how you can use RAW to justify using multiple nightsticks...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Are you sure? I'd like to hear thoughts on this. The nightstick has NO charges. It temporarily increases your turns by +4 to anyone who possesses the rod.

For example: You have 10 turns/day. Pickup (possess) a nightstick so now have 14 turns/day. Use up 12 turns (on whatever) so 2 left for the day. Drop nightstick so you have 12 used and none left (ok ,-2 left). Pick up a new nightstick and you have 14 turns/day but have already used 12, so only 2 left to use today.

By the FAQ turns are kept track of by how many you have used, not how many are left. The DMG states that bonuses from the same named source do not stack (except for Luck and some Cirsumstance's).

I just don't see how you can use RAW to justify using multiple nightsticks...
    Technically they would be classified as an "untyped" bonus, and thus would stack hypothetically.

Of course, RAW doesn't take into account creative interpretation, hence the commonly accepted RAI house rule.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The part I bolded is where you're wrong. There is no need to "drop" the first nightstick at any point, or even to pick up the next one. The bonus is applied to whoever possesses the item, and there's nothing beyond price and availability to stop you from possessing a million of them at once.

Heck, by RAW you don't even need to have the nightsticks on your person to gain their benefit. They just have to be clearly yours. You could have them tucked away in your private demiplane, encased in giant cement blocks buried miles underground, and you'd still get your bonus turn attempts.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-06-17 at 07:23 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    Technically they would be classified as an "untyped" bonus, and thus would stack hypothetically.

Of course, RAW doesn't take into account creative interpretation, hence the commonly accepted RAI house rule.
    It could be argued that it is a "bonus from the same source", in spite of being untyped. This is the same argument used to prevent one from pumping Caster Level via multiple of the same ioun stone (orange, iirc). Granted, I don't believe the nightstick text calls it a "bonus."
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-06-17 at 07:24 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The part I bolded is where you're wrong. There is no need to "drop" the first nightstick at any point, or even to pick up the next one. The bonus is applied to whoever possesses the item, and there's nothing beyond price and availability to stop you from possessing a million of them at once.

Heck, by RAW you don't even need to have the nightsticks on your person to gain their benefit. They just have to be clearly yours. You could have them tucked away in your private demiplane, encased in giant cement blocks buried miles underground, and you'd still get your bonus turn attempts.
    Hence the nickname "nightstacks"
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.