New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default [3.5] My First Casting Class

Hello again, Giant in the Playground Forum-people. Quite a while ago I posted a topic about an RP Heavy Barbarian and received some great assistance in crafting the character. Sadly the game dwindled out before I got the chance to explore the build, but I'm coming back to you lot in the hopes of some further assistance.

My DM, same guy as last time, is running another campaign, this time at level 7. He's said we're free to play any classes we like. Normally I go for the hands-on warrior type, but I figured since I have the opportunity I'll try out a caster. The DM is open to most classes as long as I can cite a book.

I'm planning for a human (because I'm boring) but I don't have enough knowledge of casting classes and their Prestige's to make this interesting. Any recommendations for a newbie?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] My First Casting Class

Do you have any ideas on the character concept yet? Do you want your mage to be sneaky, blasty, diviner-y, or casts-spells-but-still-knows-how-to-use-a-sharp-stick-y?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd recommend one of those fixed list casters. As in, Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror), Beguiler (Player's Handbook 2), or Warmage (Complete Arcane). I have to warn though that the Warmage is one of the weakest casters printed (without counting stuff like the truenamer) if you don't use Rainbow Servant shenanigans (which you shouldn't). My personal favourite is the Beguiler, but all are in the tier 3-4 category and should work in most parties.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Geist View Post
    I'm planning for a human (because I'm boring) but I don't have enough knowledge of casting classes and their Prestige's to make this interesting. Any recommendations for a newbie?
    For a first-time caster, you probably want a Sorcerer. Simple yet effective. Make sure to poke around the 'net for a reasonable spell selection - don't want to get stuck with poor spells.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Am I allowed to link this? It should be okay, I don't see any ToS violations...
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Personally, I don't think Sorcerer is a good idea unless your DM agrees to allow you to retrain spells more often than you can by default (1 every 2 levels is incredibly harsh), just because for someone new to casting, selecting poor spells known sucks. Wizards are "harder" in that preparing spells is a difficult thing to do, but much more forgiving in that you get a new chance to do so every day.

I'm going to give my +1 to the Beguiler. The Warlock or Dragonfire Adept aren't bad choices (at all) either, but they're not really spellcasters and aren't going to teach you about spell use.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I would advise against anything that has to pick their spells known and has no way of getting more - no Sorcerers, Bards or Psionic classes that aren't Erudites.

So, pick a full-list spontaneous type, or a prepared divine caster. Maybe a Wizard but they take a lot of bookkeeping...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would, on the other hand, totally endorse a spontaneous spellcaster like a Sorcerer. It's a great way to transition from a warrior to a prepared caster - you have a fixed arsenal, but instead of an arsenal of weapons, it's an arsenal of spells. And you don't have to prepare them!

Plus, having a limited selection encourages creativity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    I'd recommend one of those fixed list casters. As in, Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror), Beguiler (Player's Handbook 2), or Warmage (Complete Arcane). I have to warn though that the Warmage is one of the weakest casters printed (without counting stuff like the truenamer) if you don't use Rainbow Servant shenanigans (which you shouldn't). My personal favourite is the Beguiler, but all are in the tier 3-4 category and should work in most parties.
    I second this. I'd probably recommend Beguiler specifically, but that's just because I really like their skills.

In general, one of these classes is going to be a lot better to try out at first as opposed to a Sorcerer or Wizard.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

+1 for Beguiler. High tier 3/low tier 2 depending on the cheese you pull. You can't mess it up, and there's no PrCing required at all to make one awesome. In fact, taking more than one PrC level for a beguiler is considered bad in most builds, and that one level dip is to get Telepathy and to delay advanced learning.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Ill put a vote in for Duskblades, That will still allow you to be somewhat effective in your love of smacking people around as well as having some arcane floating around there too. Check out the Duskblade Handbook for which spells to pick which honestly...there isn't a whole heck of a lot to choose from.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

If you really are always in for the warrior-types, I'd suggest starting with a gish(warrior-mage) and later on taking the role of arcanist.
    I am currently planning to bring to my game table a neraph Wizard /Knight Phantom (Eberron Five Nations)/Abjurant Champion (Complete Mage).
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Ok, spellcasting for newbies.

Spellcasting's true power isn't damage, but control and foresight.
    Spellcasting of top-notch power demands planning worth of that int 18 wizards like to start with.

If you don't want to jump straight to wizards and sorcerers (it's really a lot of micromanagement and some out of box thinking), then fixed list casters are good ideas. Beguilers and Warmagi are good starts. Warmagi are kinda paradoxal because their spells consist basically of exploding stuff and buffing stuff. But both classes are of relatively simple spellcasting and as such good to get started.

The Vancian system (spell slots, memorizing spells to shoot and forget them until the other day) is crunchy. My personal recommendation if you don't want Vancian is Psionic.Psionic spellcasting is simpler to keep track because all spells take from the same pool (think mana), and they scale in a connected manner.

A fair start would be a Psychic Warrior, whose spells are more focused on buffing and debuffing. A full psionic caster would be the Psion, analog to wizards.

14. - Top - End - #14

Cleric is pretty easy since, aside from Domains, you don't have to select any spells (as you have to with Wizard, Bard and Sorcerer), so you can experiment by preparing different spells each day until you find out which ones you're going to want to make the cornerstones of your repetoir.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I would go with a Shugenja - they have a lot of the advantages of the sorcerer, and more - plus, they are very newbie-friendly.

- d6 HD (instead of d4)
    - 4 + Int skills (instead of 2 + Int)
    - Cha-focused (SAD) like sorcs
    - Diplomacy instead of Bluff (be the party face)
    - Divine spells - no ASF
    - Smaller list, but well-rounded, so you won't be paralyzed with choice
    - Can blast, buff, and heal equally well even at low levels
    - Proficient with a martial weapon (short sword)
    - You get an extra spell known at each level (thanks to your domain order)
    - No ASF (they cast divine spells - you still lack armor proficiency though)

Their list gets significantly better if you follow Spell Compendium's recommendation of giving them every thematically appropriate spell to choose from as well; but even without that, they are quite playable.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-06-18 at 01:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

The Shugenja is very weak and has very little in the way of support; I don't agree with that choice at all. Plus I think being "like the Sorcerer" is bad for a new player.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I say go for a spellthief 1/duskblade 5/unseen seer 1. Prepare touch attacks, gain flanking, steal spells, hit things. With a second spellthief level you can also steal other peoples buffs
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The advantage that the OP has in the case of a sorcerer is that WE can help him plan his spell list. Having a fixed spell list isn't a bad thing when you have a whole forum full of people willing to help him pack that limited list as full of awesome as he can handle without spontaneously exploding from delight.

Lets see....a 7th level sorcerer trying to cover the bases

3rd
    Haste
    Stinking Cloud

2nd
    Glitterdust
    Web
    Invisibility

1st
    Mage Armor
    Grease
    Benign Transposition (SpC)
    Lesser Orb of Acid (SpC)
    Ray of Enfeeblement

I can't get to the SRD atm to check sorcerer's spells known, but that should be pretty decent for a 7th level caster. Got most of the bases covered. Fort save, Ref save, Will save, Touch w/ no save, and party buff, even a couple that are SR:No. Most of its even core!

There, a decent list for low thought required spontaneous arcane caster. If he ends up leveling up, he can always come back to us and ask for which 4th level spells he should be interested in (EBT and Enervation), etc.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-06-18 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Wow, Keld, you got a 7th level Sorcerer's Spells Known exactly right. You only didn't comment on the 8 Cantrips they're supposed to learn, but those aren't really important.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm, maybe its time to admit I have a problem...

0th
    Sonic Snap
    Mending
    Light
    Detect Magic
    Read Magic
    Caltrops
    Resistance
    Prestidigitation

Done and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    The Shugenja is very weak and has very little in the way of support; I don't agree with that choice at all. Plus I think being "like the Sorcerer" is bad for a new player.
    It is weak compared to other full casters. I'd still put it at about Tier 3, which is a fine place for a class to end up. Certainly it is ahead of Warmage.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGirl

Personally, I don't think Sorcerer is a good idea unless your DM agrees to allow you to retrain spells more often than you can by default (1 every 2 levels is incredibly harsh), just because for someone new to casting, selecting poor spells known sucks. Wizards are "harder" in that preparing spells is a difficult thing to do, but much more forgiving in that you get a new chance to do so every day.

Which is why I added the caveat of shopping for a good spell list on the net before finalizing the character. Keld Denar's list seems pretty solid.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

the 8 Cantrips they're supposed to learn, but those aren't really important.
    :*(

Cantrips need love too!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

24. - Top - End - #24

I vote for a sorcerer or cleric, but espcially the cleric. A sorcerer is a bit easier to play then a wizard but at the same time can be far more unforgiving if you chose the wrong spells. My first Arcanist was a sorcerer and I played him in a manner that was anything but optimal.(He was a "necro sorc" who specalized in blasting people with negative energy and save or die(and not enveration and such. More like finger of death or wail of the banshie kind of save or die.) spells while standing behind an army of undead. He had little battlefield control(Though I think he had evard's black tentacles) and actually had fireball on his spell list....yeah...fireball...I just laugh at myself when I look back at the 3.0 days, when I was just...yeah...I'm still not a great optimizer, though, but I know enough where I realize how bad I was back then.)

However, with the right spells a sorcerer can be a great way to learn spellcasting and my sorcerer, even though he sucked by optimization standards still taught me important lessons, and also how not to play an arcane class.

However, my personal feeling is that the cleric is a great starting caster. Yes, he's a preparitor caster. Yes, he requires a fair bit of thought depending on what sourcebooks you use. However, if you ever want to learn to be a caster, your going to have to learn how to prepair spells and how to micromannage, and sometimes it's best to learn these things sooner then later, and the best way to learn is with a cleric. Why? Simply because clerics are far more forgiving then wizards if you screw up. You have heavy armor and more hit dice then a squishy wizard dose. You have other class abilites that can aid you, and you can spontainously cast heal spells(if good or netural). All of this means that your a lot better off if you mess up or make a mistake then you would be if you where a squishy wizard with d4s for HD with nothing but robes(and spells) to protect him. Your still more fragile then a deidcated melee character would be, but you have heals and all the wonderful divine spells to make up for that. Thus, I really feel that if you want to learn how to be a dedicated caster the best way is as a cleric, since you get to try your hand with preporation but still don't auto die if you mess something up.

Oh, and the fact you prefer poking people with sharp objects means you may like a cleric better then an arcane caster since with the right buffs a cleric can be very, very, very good at smashing people in the face with maces or whatever other simple weapon you like. Thats ALMOST like poking them with a sword.

Also, please ignore any bads grammar or spelling in this post. I am using a computer that lacks word and has no spell check function. Thank you.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2010-06-18 at 03:42 PM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

My problem with clerics is that at lower levels, they feel more like a gish than a true caster. Yes, the d8 and armor are beefy, but if you don't feel like wading in and swinging a mace you probably won't get a lot out of them early on, unless you're fighting undead.

Now a Druid - there's a great mix of blasty and buffy at all levels. Armor isn't an issue since you start at level 6 (Natural Spell, woo) and they lean more towards offensive magic than clerics do at that point in their career. Like their Warcraft counterparts, they're able to fill a wide variety of roles easily.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The advantage that the OP has in the case of a sorcerer is that WE can help him plan his spell list. Having a fixed spell list isn't a bad thing when you have a whole forum full of people willing to help him pack that limited list as full of awesome as he can handle without spontaneously exploding from delight.
    I agree with sorcerer as well but honestly. Imo why not just have him play the scordian build? He is obviously comfortable with combat and hitting things and wants to try casting why not let him have this build and see what he thinks.

Here it is man and I personally enjoy it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=7
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

+1 to duskblade or beguiler. Both of these classes are easy to pick and play. Both give you the opportunity to experiment with different spells, and are forgiving if you make the wrong choices (just cast a different spell next time). Both have a strong and enjoyable class theme going on that makes it easy to develop a distinct style.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Druids, Wizards, and Clerics are awesome!

DRUIDS are optimized out of the box! You can melee, blast, control crowds, heal, and summon, AND you have a spiffy animal companion who acts as another party member.

Natural Spell is all you need. Improved Initiative, Augment Summoning, Greenbound Summoning (Lost Empires of Faerun), and other Druid Handbook abilities.

WIZARDS are your best bet for arcane magic! If you like the notion of turning people into toads, being invisible, teleporting, summoning, and being fragile yet awesome, snuggle up with Treantmonk and Batman/LogicNinja!

CLERICS are self-contained gishes. A Cleric is potent because he knows EVERY spell he can cast, like a Druid. Clerics are spiffy because they're casters who also melee OR do archery OR desecrate areas and make awesome necromancers.

Trying to be a pure caster as a Cleric will gimp you. I've already tried that. Instead, do something well besides casting. Look at the Cleric's Handbook for advice!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2010-06-18 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Personally, I like the Batman guide more than the GOD guide.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Personally, I like the Batman guide more than the GOD guide.
    I agree with TLN more often, though Treantmonk has very good points about single-target SoD's. Going through the spell list for both of them is very good, whether you're playing a wizard or a sorcerer. Also, a sorcerer handbook, should you choose to go that route. It's not as well-organized/formatted as the two wizard guides, but is good for a look-through as well.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2010-06-18 at 04:32 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.