New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default looking for ideas on character creation.

I have an idea for a character, that i wish to play in a friendīs campaign, the character is basically was in the past a extremely powerfull dragonlike creature (a race created for my friendīs setting), that got too conceited; and challenged a powerfull god, and obviously lost.
    The god as a punishment for being so self-centered, transformed him into a Kobold what is (believed to be) the weakest creature of all, to teach him some humility.

My problem is, i have the story, and i know is going to be a kobold, but no class feats, or anything; i want to play something fun (not pun pun-like).

Im using almost every book of D&D 3.5 so i have plenty of options.

I thought of wizard, psychic warrior, and maybe dragonborn, to show what is left of his previous draconic self.

Any ideas?

(sorry if my english is bad, im from a spanish speaking country)
    Last edited by Ramza1987; 2010-06-19 at 11:30 AM.
    I would smile if i could (told by a warforged fighter, to a gnome, that made a joke about his name)

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    nice ramza i have never thought of that!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: looking for ideas on character creation.

Dragonwrought for all your dragon-related needs. Why choose between a dragon and a kobold when you can be both of them?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3

AssassinGuy

I thought of using dragonwrought, but it leads to a lot of cheese, and the rest of the party is role-play heavy, so i canīt be to cheesy (but a little cheese is not bad though), so they donīt start annoying me with powergaming rant.
    I would smile if i could (told by a warforged fighter, to a gnome, that made a joke about his name)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you might consider the Desert Kobold, rather than the standard Kobold, to avoid the Con penalty... unless, of course, you're taking a Wisdom-based class.

Dragonwrought is a decent choice - gives you a number of useful immunities, and lets you start picking up some feats for permanent flying later on... which, you know, you could pretty much get as spells by playing a Sorcerer or Wizard (Overland Flight), or a Cleric (Air Walk), or a Druid (Wildshape into something with a fly speed).

If you don't have any particular ideas, perhaps you could let us know what the other players are choosing - that way, you can pick the remaining role.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-06-19 at 01:02 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza1987 View Post
    I thought of using dragonwrought, but it leads to a lot of cheese
    It doesn't have to. You can actually choose not to take sovereign archetypes or epic feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Well, you might consider the Desert Kobold, rather than the standard Kobold, to avoid the Con penalty... unless, of course, you're taking a Wisdom-based class.
    Jungle kobold gets Int penalty instead of Con one.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would Ur-Priest make sense, as he decided to challenge a god? Or is the idea that he lost his powers when transformed to a kobold?
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by playswithfire View Post
    Would Ur-Priest make sense, as he decided to challenge a god? Or is the idea that he lost his powers when transformed to a kobold?
    As far as class goes, it's literally up to whatever he wants to...Ur-Priest would not make fluff-sense before the koboldification (he didn't hate gods, he just thought he was better than one), but would afterwards (lets see if they enjoy being punched in their faces with their own hands).

Sir, bring us the kobold's drive and style and we can mechanize it. Bring us a mechanic and we can paint it in fluff.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

He lost the mayority of what made him powerful when koboldified, and he had to start from scratch again, Ur priest is a nice idea, but the character was very faithfull until the time he was humbled; so maybe he could see it as a just punishment for his arrogance, and still be a believer (but an resented one).

The party has a paladin, a bard, and an arcane gish (or something close to that concept). My character probably will try to follow the same path he followed before being koboldified ( i like how koboldification sounds ), so it has to be something that could lead (if wanted) to a great amount of power.
    Also the campaign starts at lvl 1.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you said that he's faithful and also would take a class that leads to a lot of powers, I suggest a cleric. You don't have to be CoDZilla to be powerful as a cleric either. However, cleric as a class may not fit his backstory, since a cleric would never challenge his own deity. Perhaps he challenged a deity who was apposed to his patron in some way? If cleric dose not work for your fluff, then wizard works fine as well. While you have an arcanist in the party already, you said he/she was a gish, so a truly dedicated, controlling, batman wizard would be would be a welcome addition to the party, A wizard will eventually gain great power as well, being a tier 1 class like the cleric. Also a wizard fits the fluff since arrogant arcanists with great powers who want to become gods is such a cliche(thanks to final fantasy, at least in my mind.) that one of the D&D gods has this as his origin story. You of course know who I mean...the guy missing his hand and eye, Vecna. He started out as a mage and eventually wanted to become a god but instead of failing like most who try this he actually succeeded. So wizard fits the fluff well.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2010-06-19 at 06:11 PM.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maho-Tsukai View Post
    A wizard will eventually gain great power as well, being a tier 1 class like the cleric. Also a wizard fits the fluff since arrogant arcanists with great powers who want to become gods is such a cliche(thanks to final fantasy, at least in my mind.) that one of the D&D gods has this as his origin story.
    You are right, and im starting to want to play a conjuration heavy wizard, to make things easier for my party members.

It also fits the character concept quite well actually as the character, spended most of his life secluded to train, and improve his abilities, and wizard tend to spend a lot of time studying, and searching for powerful spells.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Edit: im still open for ideas.
    Last edited by Ramza1987; 2010-06-22 at 06:12 PM.