A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Challenge] Level 1 Commoner as a God!

Just as the title says: I intend to have a level 1 Commoner gain so many followers/worshippers he effectively is turned into a god. How did this come to be? Even he doesn't really know, it was just pure luck (this will therefore certainly be one of his granted domains).

The baseline of this idea would be that he (she? could work for either sex) is a level 1 Commoner with everything that a level 1 Commoner could possibly have.

To put limitations on this though, let's say COMMONER (as he'll be called from now on, in all caps, because he's a GOD):
    • has no Divine Rank (this is for the sake of this challenge; he still grants 2 domains to Clerics),
    • has 4 ranks in every skill ever (in 3.5),
    • is proficient with all simple weapons (COMMONER may take feats for more),
    • isn't proficient with any armour or shields (unless he takes feats),
    • can have up to 21 feats: 1 for level 1, 20 for being a god. These 20 extra feats cannot have each other as a prerequisite, but may have the level 1 feat as a prerequisite or things gained from race (including the Human bonus feat), as well as other stuff COMMONER has as per the rules above.
    • can be of any LA+0, racial HD-less WotC-published race is available. (Of course, COMMONER may not change races.)
    • may have an unlimited amount of grafts as long as each graft doesn't cost more than 9000 gp each. These grafts may be of any kind and don't impose penalties either. (COMMONER either had a very disturbing life as the son of a fan of Victor Frankenstein or had a fascination for mad science.)
    • may not have any magic items unless these are gained from feats,
    • isn't Pun-Pun or something similar.

So, basically, the most of the challenge comes down to "get me 21 feats that a level 1 Commoner could take that, combined, make that level 1 Commoner the most awesome and overpowered Commoner ever, but still within the RAI". And then some added stuff (grafts) that makes it mesh nicely and gives it even more of a push.

All WotC books are available. Pathfinder, 3rd-party and Dragon/Dungeon articles are out, as well as 4E material, obviously. 3.0 books disallowed, save for "borderline edition" ones, like Savage Species, BoED and BoVD, which came out late and near the release of 3.5.

Show me your COMMONERs! Pimp my GOD!

P.S. Feel free to pitch ideas for fluff or backstory, that is always appreciated.

EDIT: For the purposes of going with the fluff, anything chicken-related is totally acceptable in this thread, including creature stats, spells (mainly for COMMONER's Clerics) and for the daring ones, a PrC for followers of COMMONER. Perhaps anyone has ideas for organizations relating to this, or the Church of COMMONER, if it officially exists at all?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-06-20 at 04:20 PM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Challenge] Level 1 Commoner as a God!

Maybe COMMONER is worshipped by nests of Awakened Ants?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

COMMONER and his bard friend go out drinking and COMMONER does something hilarious. I dunno, draws a moustache on the statue of the king or something. Shenannigans ensue and COMMONER and the bard are forced to flee from the guards and get away by hiding in a cart-load of horse manure.

The bard writes an epic poem after this, that details their hijinx and shenannigans. It's a catchy tune and everyone likes it. The story gets overblown in its retelling until eventually it becomes about how this COMMONER stole the king's moustache, disguised himself as a manure salesman and managed to cover the king and all his guards in horse turds.

The laughter, revellry and joviality that spring from this eventually becomes so widespread that COMMONER apotheosises to become the much-loved god of thieves and pranksters.

The bard, who never got copyright on his song, continues to toil in obscurity as his work is stolen by everyone. He eventually becomes an outspoken public-speaker on how word-of-mouth harms the music industry. He is dismissed as an idiot.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

See, no that's the kind of backstory ideas I'd love to see. Whether they'd be funny, awesome, dramatic or sexy, even though this thread was moreso created for mechanical ideas, crunch without fluff is like a construct that should have been a humanoid with the same amount of HD stuffed into class levels gained through in-game play.
    YouTube channel:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't really understand what you're asking for. Do you want us to take the limitations you've placed and use them to make a pun-pun-style commoner, or create a level 1 commoner that meets those criteria?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    I don't really understand what you're asking for. Do you want us to take the limitations you've placed and use them to make a pun-pun-style commoner, or create a level 1 commoner that meets those criteria?
    I don't really understand the difference between those options there, so I guess we both weren't clear enough?

What I am wanting to do is to make a level 1 Commoner into a god, and to justify that, he needs as much OOMPH a Commoner could possibly get. So, basically, the idea is to "create the most powerful level 1 Commoner you can imagine that meets these criteria, yet still isn't a complete rulebreaker".

Minor rule-breakage may be condoned, but Pun-Pun-style stuff with loopholes and the like won't be, even though Kobolds are allowed.

The 20 extra feats thing came from the idea of E6. COMMONER will basically be E1, and power-effectively kind-of like a fifth level character, which is assumed the highest level one could reach in real life. Basically? COMMONER is an ordinary guy who ended up being the plainest and yet most awesome person you have ever met.

So, basically, the most of the challenge comes down to "get me 21 feats that a level 1 Commoner could take that, combined, make that level 1 Commoner the most awesome and overpowered Commoner ever, but still within the RAI". And then some added stuff (grafts) that makes it mesh nicely and gives it even more of a push.

Perhaps I should add assumed starting ability scores or score arrays? All 10s, all 11s, all 18s or 13/12/11/10/9/8 and the like?
    YouTube channel:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wouldn't the commoner gain the extra 20 feats after ascending to COMMONERhood? Thus, shouldn't there be 2 layers of the optimization: the first for the commoner's original form, and the second for the COMMONER?

Or are you assuming that the COMMONER ascended due to sheer happenstance and thus the pre-ascension form is irrelevant?
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I would say that COMMONER should take skill focus: profession(being shot out of a cannon), skill focus: profession(cannon-making), and skill focus: craft (alchemy)

COMMONER launches himself out of the cannon, with a GIANT bag of alchemist's fire, goes over the enemy army, and carpet bombs them. (You may want skill focus: profession (physicist) too.)

See also, COMMONER is a raptoran, and glides down safely.

EDIT: The awe and fear that come from the carpet bombings make him a god. The aerial acrobatics help too.
    Last edited by Stompy; 2010-06-20 at 12:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

YES.
    Stompy gets an cookie.
    That is made of pure win.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Take chicken infested and somehow get animal empathy. Get the infinite chickens to worship him as their creator.

Alternatively, end world hunger with the chickens, the praise and gratitude of a thankful nation turns him into a deity of feasting, bountiful harvests and chickens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

hmm.

I'd go for plain ol' Human.
    Feat choices
    -Domain feats: healing devotion could get him started as the front man for a small cult of personality somewhere in the sticks.
    -bind vestige and related feats from Tome of Magic could grant him a good range of abilities and impress the yokels.
    -martial study/stance to pick up some refreshable "magic" possibly from shadow hand or desert wind for more supernatural fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Shape Soulmeld for something like Astral Vambraces (DR 2/magic even without essentia, plus he could be Azurin to get a point, so 4/magic) would make the Commoner a god among men, able to shrug off blows from even the mightiest house cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Now that you write it that way, and if you read it out loud several times, COMMONER starts sounding like a band name.

Bang Your Heads For COMMONER! \m/

But yeah, I'd suggest a guy who gets all feats and traits that boost Animal Empathy, Gather Information and Diplomacy (Force of Personality atop that for fluffz) and Perform (instrument / oratory + stage pyrotechnics), completely dump Sense Motive, no Intimidate or Bluff. What you get is a rock'n'roll star. Or someone...

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Take chicken infested and somehow get animal empathy. Get the infinite chickens to worship him as their creator.

Alternatively, end world hunger with the chickens, the praise and gratitude of a thankful nation turns him into a deity of feasting, bountiful harvests and chickens.
    COMMONER
    Domains: Chicken

Chicken
    Domain Power: A cleric with the Chicken domain may take the Chicken Infested feat without meeting the prerequisites.
    Domain Spells
    1: Summon Nature's Ally I (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    2: Summon Nature's Ally II (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    3: Summon Nature's Ally III (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    4: Summon Nature's Ally IV (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    5: Summon Nature's Ally V (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    6: Summon Nature's Ally VI (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    7: Summon Nature's Ally VII (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    8: Summon Nature's Ally VIII (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    9: Summon Monster IX (May only be used to summon a celestial chicken.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... I think Cas was a commoner before he became a god...
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16

HalfOrcPirate

Commoner is a warforged that was reduced below zero HP. Possibly by a nuclear explosion or something. several billion years into the future, the remnants of mutated civilization unearth the commoner, postulating that he is some sort of super-being from space. millions worship him, he becomes a god.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    1: Summon Nature's Ally I (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    2: Summon Nature's Ally II (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    3: Summon Nature's Ally III (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    4: Summon Nature's Ally IV (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    5: Summon Nature's Ally V (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    6: Summon Nature's Ally VI (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    7: Summon Nature's Ally VII (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    8: Summon Nature's Ally VIII (May only be used to summon a chicken.)
    9: Summon Monster IX (May only be used to summon a celestial chicken.)
    What, you can't summon 1d3/1d4+1 chickens with higher levels?
    Last edited by balistafreak; 2010-06-20 at 03:16 PM.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh! Or all sorts of templated chickens! That'd be fun!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

19. - Top - End - #19

Pseudonatural Paragon Chicken of Legend.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Pseudonatural Paragon Chicken of Legend.
    Titanic Chicken.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    Wouldn't the commoner gain the extra 20 feats after ascending to COMMONERhood? Thus, shouldn't there be 2 layers of the optimization: the first for the commoner's original form, and the second for the COMMONER?

Or are you assuming that the COMMONER ascended due to sheer happenstance and thus the pre-ascension form is irrelevant?
    I would say COMMONER gained the other 20 after ascension, but I think the pre-ascension is irrelevant save for determining that single feat (barring racial bonus feats) that he had as well as his/her backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Oooh! Or all sorts of templated chickens! That'd be fun!
    Go ahead, it's fine by me. Perhaps I should edit the first post to make it more general like "lets make a 1st level Commoner god together and everything that should go with it"?
    YouTube channel:

22. - Top - End - #22

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    What, you can't summon 1d3/1d4+1 chickens with higher levels?
    I didn't take the time to look at the spells descriptions. lol

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    I didn't take the time to look at the spells descriptions. lol
    Perhaps moreso something like:

Summon Chicken I: May summon a chicken.
    Summon Chicken II: May summon an anarchic/axiomatic/celestial/fiendish/elemental chicken.
    Summon Chicken III: May summon a dire chicken.

And so on, with various variations through templates or simple buff-ups or such.

...are there even any stats for chickens? (And whats this Chicken Infested I keep hearing about? I get the chicken-Commoner connection and I've heard it mention often in combo with this most basic NPC class, but never found it in any books myself. Anyone got the source?)
    YouTube channel:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Regular human commoner with high constitution
    1) Fill him with high constitution and fortitude boosting feats
    2) He loses a bet so he has to challenge the first dwarf he sees to a drink off.
    3) He sees an epic level dwarven cleric, who accepts the challenge with a laugh.
    4) The already drunk dwarf gets a natural 1 compared to the commoner's natural 20 and is drunken under the table
    5) Everyones' jaws drop.
    6) Commoner loots a magic amulet that boosts fortitude off of the dwarf
    7) Dwarf rides home in shame
    8) Dwarf king is intrigued by the story, so he rides to the city, and has his servants challenge the commoner to a drink off.
    9) With fortitude bonus and lucky rolls, he out drinks them.
    10) King is outraged to lose so much money and challenges commoner to a drink off.
    11) King poisons commoner's cup, but commoner trips and accidentally switches the cups.
    12) King dies.
    13) Story of commoner drinking the king to death spread.
    14) ???
    15) Profit Godhood

Behold COMMONER god of drunks, drinking, alcohol, and wild parties.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    ...are there even any stats for chickens? (And whats this Chicken Infested I keep hearing about? I get the chicken-Commoner connection and I've heard it mention often in combo with this most basic NPC class, but never found it in any books myself. Anyone got the source?)
    Chicken Infested is in one of the Dragon mags. It's a Commoner flaw that gives you a 50% chance to draw a chicken whenever you draw any object (such as a weapon or spell component).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Chicken Infested is in one of the Dragon mags. It's a Commoner flaw that gives you a 50% chance to draw a chicken whenever you draw any object (such as a weapon or spell component).
    It's also, IIRC, a massive April Fool's Joke, but seeing as they never go out of their way to say that...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, that sounds pretty interesting.

Heh, makes me think a commoner with that flaw would be the greatest enemy Link could ever face. Easily summonable Cucco Storm.

Say, are there any feats (or chain of feats) that could perhaps give COMMONER spellcasting or psionic powers known? I know through feats you can learn to shape soulmelds, initiate martial maneuvers and bind vestiges (and use utterances but you need 6 ranks in Truespeak for that), and there is a feat that gives a character 2 power points even if they didn't have any before, but powers known or spellcasting capability... I haven't seen that so far.

If there are feats that give stuff like bardic music, invocations, sneak attack, rage or auras like the Marshal and Dragon Shaman, that'd be even more awesome.
    YouTube channel:

28. - Top - End - #28

Commoner meets his future self who has already ascended to godhood. Future Commoner helps his past self ascend.

No? Then I got nothing. I am somehow reminded of "The Life of Brian" though.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Minor rule-breakage may be condoned, but Pun-Pun-style stuff with loopholes and the like won't be, even though Kobolds are allowed.
    Okay, you're gonna have to be more specific there. Pun-pun involves no loopholes, the latest version is entirely rules legal. The level 5 version had some controversy, but there's nothing wrong with the level 1 version.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

30. - Top - End - #30

The Commoner is a gnome who just happens to look exactly like a statue of Garl Glittergold in the temple he's visiting on holiday. He is mistaken for an avatar and worshipped. The Real Garl thinks this is hilarious and raises him to divinity, making him a god of mistaken identities. However, no one ever finds out who he is, because everyone thinks he's someone else.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."