New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Using legion devils effectively

After reading the Eberron RHoD thread, my interest in these little buggers has recently been rekindled. Though I have FC2, I never really paid them much attention. After skimming through their stats, their legion's strength ability also appear to be their greatest Achilles heel.

Their dr is negligible. I suppose being able to use the best of multiple die rolls can help make up for poor saves. Their AC isn't really stellar (I shudder at the thought of a barb ramming into one with shock trooper), though their other defenses are fairly good (wide array of resistances/immunities and evasion to boot).

Their attack increases dramatically with additional legion devils, so hitting the PCs shouldn't be an issue (I can probably even improve their damage via power attack). They also possess excellent mobility (able to teleport around the battlefield).

Thus, I would like to hear your experiences with them, as well as any tips on using them effectively or pitfalls to avoid. Also, up to what EL can I pit them against a party and still be useful?
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-06-20 at 08:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Using legion devils effectively

Flight allows more to attack the party with their massive attacks at once.
    Add Rogue 2 for Evasion and Pious Templar 1 for Mettle and they will be safe from partial/half effects.
    "The fool is marked by ignoring the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their eagerness to heed the wisdom of the fool."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that giving them two Rogue levels is a good way of improving them. Their individual CR should only go up by one, since they're frontliners and not dex-based.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Legion devils are pretty good monsters already, no need to improve them, just increase their numbers. Legon devils are mooks; a shocktrooper barbarian is supposed to plow through mooks, don't deny him his fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Does Legion's Battle Skill mean that a group of 6 legion devils each gain a +20 bonus on their attack rolls?

If so, having all the legion devils use power attack and/or fight defensively or something of that nature would be a good idea as they will still remain likely to hit while also improving their defenses and damage.
    Last edited by Ravingdork; 2010-06-20 at 11:20 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The right way to use them is by the dozen.

Boosting them? How about giving them a leader with Dragonfire Inspiration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravingdork View Post
    Does Legion's Battle Skill mean that a group of 6 legion devils each gain a +20 bonus on their attack rolls?
    Uh-huh.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.