New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (3.5) Is there a power spiral?

I recently read a book on the history of dnd. It said that in the old AD&D, each supplement offering options more powerful than the earlier ones, to the point where a supplement-using character was way more powerful than a core character. In your opinion, is this problem presnt in dnd 3.5?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Is there a power spiral?

For most classes? Yes.

For Wizards, Clerics and (arguably) Druids? The best material is almost all in the PHB.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Are the strongest characters stronger? Not appreciably. Wizard, Cleric, Druid are not appreciably stronger with 10 books than they are in core. They can break the game either way.

Do the weakest characters have more options? Yes. A fighter with ToB is way better than one without. A paladin with complete champion is way better than one without. The new classes that perform the melee role are much better balanced (meaning stronger, more able to live in a party with a moderately optimized caster without feeling like a hireling) than their core counterparts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Is it there? Obviously. One might argue that increasing the number of options inherently increases the power level.

Is this a problem? In my opinion, not really.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to agree with Gnaeus' assessment of the situation. While the supplements can have the effect of turning the whole game into "rocket tag", without the supplements, it's still a game of rocket tag but only the full-casters are armed.

Also remember that every new option for the player is a new option for a canny DM.

If you really want to mess things up, try some third-party books. I have one with a 1st-level spell that attracts all mindless undead within miles/level to a point determined by the caster for days.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    If you really want to mess things up, try some third-party books. I have one with a 1st-level spell that attracts all mindless undead within miles/level to a point determined by the caster for days.
    I quite like Tome of Horrors, myself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a power spiral in 3.5? Absolutely!

Allow me to demonstrate.

Core fighter:
    Spoiler
    Show

ToB warblade:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    It's broken-ness like this that gives third-party a bad name. Then again, it's broken-ness like the Sarrukh, the Incantatrix, & celerity that gives first-party a bad name. And it's broken-ness like Natural Spell, disjunction, & Diplomacy-as-RAW that gives Core a bad name.

Also, as Greenish cleverly illustrated, the power spiral is not always a bad thing. It can make a goofy thing awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, that hairy muscle-man looks like a more fun character to play than the anime weirdo in the cape.

Anyhow, I think yes, there's an obvious power spiral, which varies from class to class (and character to character). Sometimes this can have a negative effect, like giving wizard even more broken spells like celerity and metamagic reducers that makes piling 3 or more metamagics on a spell do-able, or giving clerics divine metamagic.

But a lot of other times I think the power spiral is actually a good thing. Bards are quite a bit more interesting and fun with all the non-core feats and abilities, ditto for rangers and rogue-types. Non-core also makes some options like theurge-type classes and gishes much more viable than core only.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Honestly, that hairy muscle-man looks like a more fun character to play than the anime weirdo in the cape.
    The point is that the guy in the cape has more spiral power.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Please do not add to the misconception that ToB = Anime, whatever the hell that means.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Please do not add to the misconception that ToB = Anime, whatever the hell that means.
    But… but spiral power!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

if you don't believe Greenish, believe in me, who believes in him!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What?

It's a pun.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

MYSTIK SPIRAL!

Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-06-20 at 04:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

OrcBarbarianGuy

But… but spiral power!
    If it helps, I saw what you did there.

And I'm disappointed I got to this thread too late to make the joke myself.

At any rate, a character with access to all books can be built more powerfully than a character with access to only Core books. For full casters, the increase in power is most definitely appreciable, although not as radical as for the classes that can't rewrite reality in under 6 seconds several times a day.

Having access to Celerity, Craft Contingent Spell, Superior Invisibility, Mindsight, and a few other choice selections does make a wizard harder to deal with than he would have been otherwise, and Divine Metamagic takes the cleric from "better than a fighter in every meaningful way" to "better than every fighting class in every way ever."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    I quite like Tome of Horrors, myself.
    Tomb of Horrors perhaps?

Using 3rd party stuff as the DM is okay, so long as you tell the party at character creation that certain 3rd party books are good.
    I did it for circle and ritual magic from Arcana Unearthed (not Unearthed Arcana), and told the party that I was going to use some 3rd party stuff, but specified which ones.
    I also specified which first party stuff I wasn't going to allow, like Murky Eyed flaw, or Feral Template, the sarrukh did not exist (when I said that, one guy shifted from playing kobold to goblin)
    And which ones I was going to houserule, like a form of halfogre that's LA+1 becomes +2.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

John "Earthquake" Tenta was awesome... even if he did squash Jake "The Snake" Robert's snake, though his feud with Hogan was made of win. for WWF 80's professional wrestling anyway.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That is awesome.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmryn View Post
    I recently read a book on the history of dnd. It said that in the old AD&D, each supplement offering options more powerful than the earlier ones, to the point where a supplement-using character was way more powerful than a core character. In your opinion, is this problem presnt in dnd 3.5?
    Welcome to Marketing.
    Yes it's the same problem and no it will never go away. However some good things have come it too (ToB). Just shows you, keep an open mind, but don't be afraid to slam that 'disallowed' hammer.

"It's only a problem if it's a problem."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say that while, yeah, a lot of the most powerful options are in the PHB, there are a fair few 'combine X with Y with Z' outside of it, and for people who aren't top notch optimisers, but are optimising, more books does equal more powerful characters.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So basically, while the maximum went up by, say, two points, the average went up by fifty?

Sounds about right.

23. - Top - End - #23

I played a diamond-mind focused mongrelfolk warblade with a Charisma of 6. He was very much the hairy muscle-man.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Yes in a good sense, as the splatbooks help in bridging the gap between melee and casters.

25. - Top - End - #25

Is there a power spiral in 3.5? Absolutely!

Allow me to demonstrate.

Core fighter:
    Spoiler
    Show

ToB warblade:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You leave earthquake alone greenish!!!

Where is tugboat by the way?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

There's no possible way to release supplements without increasing the potential power of the classes, unless everything in the supplements is exactly like something in core, but worse.

27. - Top - End - #27

Every book will give people more options should they feel the need, and every book will have a couple that somebody really wasn't paying attention to. So in an absolute sense, more splat does equal more power.

What I think you're talking about is power creep, where the company deliberately makes stuff in new releases more powerful to entice buyers. (At which point the next book needs even more powerful stuff, and so on.) 3.x was actually very good about keeping tabs on this. Sure, they did release stuff like Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, but stuff in the next book didn't assume that everybody was playing one and using that as the new baseline.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Every book will give people more options should they feel the need, and every book will have a couple that somebody really wasn't paying attention to. So in an absolute sense, more splat does equal more power.

What I think you're talking about is power creep, where the company deliberately makes stuff in new releases more powerful to entice buyers. (At which point the next book needs even more powerful stuff, and so on.) 3.x was actually very good about keeping tabs on this. Sure, they did release stuff like Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, but stuff in the next book didn't assume that everybody was playing one and using that as the new baseline.
    Very true, but only for PCs really. I've noticed a definite power creep in monsters though. Later monsters are usually rather more dangerous for their CR than MM1 ones are, even ignoring the occasional That Damn Crab or similar unbalanced one. It's subtle, but I think there's definitely been a pattern there towards more and more powerful monsters in later books, for the same CR levels.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Very true, but only for PCs really. I've noticed a definite power creep in monsters though. Later monsters are usually rather more dangerous for their CR than MM1 ones are, even ignoring the occasional That Damn Crab or similar unbalanced one. It's subtle, but I think there's definitely been a pattern there towards more and more powerful monsters in later books, for the same CR levels.
    I think that's probably due to the expectation of optimization going up as the game progresses. MM1 creatures tend to be not much of a challenge for optimized parties, with a few specific exceptions (*cough*Allip*cough*, *cough*Planetar*cough*). Later books have monsters that are more appropriate for optimized parties and are actually a challenge.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

30. - Top - End - #30

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Which is sometimes understandable (the later Monster Manuals demonstrate an improved grasp on design principles) and sometimes perplexing. I seem to recall one monster from Libris Mortis who had spent all its feats on Toughness, despite that being a book whose very purpose was to give undead more options in the form of things like feats.

How more balanced monsters ever came about in the face of such design, I have no idea, but they managed it eventually.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)