New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Does anybody draw their maps over glass?

What I mean is, I've been considering taking my gridded dry erase mat and placing it under the glass tabletop of a table and then drawing over it with wet erase marker.

For several reasons:

A) The table would look really good in my game room
    B) The map would never move and be perfectly flat
    C) It may or not be easier to erase, eliaviting the slight stains that sometimes appear on these dry erase maps.

The only downside I see so far is that I would have to be moving around the table quite a bit since we wouldn't be able to easily move the map.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Does anybody draw their maps over glass?

We have the grid that way, as actual maps are not handled enough to justify it. Adjusting the grid is just covering the wall areas and such

3. - Top - End - #3

We actually use a really nice chessex megamat, and to keep it nice we draw on a sheet of plexiglass over the top of it. It only cost us like $30 to get a sheet large enough to cover our whole table, and it works great.

~R~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of our group, one of the rotating GMs, has on his to-do list, a square table, i think 10X10, or maybe 8X8 total. 1-2 foot border in this, that is slightly sunken, to accomodate rolling, sheets, etc, etc. the centre 8X8 or 6X6 is going to be a sheet of frosted glass. under this table will be a projector, connected to a computer on the GM station. There is no shadows, and the GM can control what we see and what we cannot by using layers in photoshop. I cannot wait to help him build it, simply because it is such a cool idea and it will be soo much better than what are are doing now.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    One of our group, one of the rotating GMs, has on his to-do list, a square table, i think 10X10, or maybe 8X8 total. 1-2 foot border in this, that is slightly sunken, to accomodate rolling, sheets, etc, etc. the centre 8X8 or 6X6 is going to be a sheet of frosted glass. under this table will be a projector, connected to a computer on the GM station. There is no shadows, and the GM can control what we see and what we cannot by using layers in photoshop. I cannot wait to help him build it, simply because it is such a cool idea and it will be soo much better than what are are doing now.
    If this idea works, please give us specs and details. I would be interested in building a setup like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    If this idea works, please give us specs and details. I would be interested in building a setup like this...
    I'd love to see pictures of this working.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The best I've seen done, in a game I played once, was a GM who had a huge 'scroll' of maps. He would use cardboard to simulate 'fog of war', and would roll/unroll the map to wherever the party went to. The map itself was simply the terrain features, it would not have any other information on it, and on this map rested plexiglass which was marked on and had minifigures moved around on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't see it happening for a while, but when it does get built, there will definitely be pictures and specs, and prices posted.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRangerGuy

My DM use's plexiglass over our grid and use's dry erase markers to draw the battle grid and maps on the glass for our group.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

10. - Top - End - #10

awesome guys, glad to hear that others are doing it and that it works well. Thanks : )

As far as electronic tables go, this one is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fTkXQ1tY0
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    awesome guys, glad to hear that others are doing it and that it works well. Thanks : )

As far as electronic tables go, this one is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fTkXQ1tY0
    Okay, my geekness is so worked up after watching that. I want one!!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I laminated the grid with a type of soft plastic film. Don't know how it's called in english.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #13

We've been playing this way for 5 years.
    It's actually an A1 perspex 'picture frame', with a grid drawn on the backing.
    We probably need a new one... some of the previous scribblings have seeped into the various fine cracks in the plastic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

We did that when we played at a gaming store. It was kinda nice. These days we rarely play at the same place twice in a row, so it doesn't make sense to have a large, inflexible sheet of glass. We're all content with chessex for the time being. Maybe when someone buys a house with a basement for gaming we'll make that the permanent game spot, but until then a rollable battlemat is ideal.
    Last edited by valadil; 2010-06-21 at 08:29 AM.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.