New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Non-broken spells to persist

For a DMM-Cleric and a Incantatrix i am building i am looking for interesting spells to persist. Preferably spells that (when persisted) do not turn out to powerful, rather fun, flavorful or strange.

Example: Greater Dimension Door
    You can teleport short distances continiously, while this has it's uses, it is defenitely not that powerful for a 5th level persist spell. It can however create a strange character jumping from one place to the other during a conversation.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Non-broken spells to persist

Prestidigitation. Makes sure you're always clean, your food is always warm and spiced, and there'll alwats be an appropriately dramatic wind on your hair and cloak for dramatic entrances.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon Breath (SpC) - Gives you a dragon breath. Fun.

Gets even better if you combine it with modifying spells like Blinding Breath/Dispelling Breath, but those tend to be sor/wiz only.
    Last edited by PId6; 2010-06-21 at 05:28 AM.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll be the one to go out on a limb and say Divine Power. Is it high end? Very much so. But I don't feel it's in the realm of the over powered on its own, just the very very good.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-06-21 at 05:31 AM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaritas View Post
    For a DMM-Cleric and a Incantatrix i am building i am looking for interesting spells to persist. Preferably spells that (when persisted) do not turn out to powerful, rather fun, flavorful or strange.
    For the DMM cleric: Bless.
    It's definitely not powerful and very often will be surpassed by greater morale bonuses, but 24/day you can say: "The blessing of my God, is ALWAYS on me"
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How about Ethereal Jaunt? You'd be vulnerable only to force effects and abjurations, but wouldn't have much offensive capability. You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone. But you can move freely through material objects, and see (within 60') on the Material Plane. Great for snooping.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone.
    Uh, ghost touch works for incorporeal creatures. Not ethereal. Though they share some similarities from the perspective of a person on the Material Plane, they are not the same thing.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Prestidigitation. Makes sure you're always clean, your food is always warm and spiced, and there'll alwats be an appropriately dramatic wind on your hair and cloak for dramatic entrances.
    How did i miss this!

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Dragon Breath (SpC) - Gives you a dragon breath. Fun.

Gets even better if you combine it with modifying spells like Blinding Breath/Dispelling Breath, but those tend to be sor/wiz only.
    Nice, i like this one since i was considering a elemental theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    I'll be the one to go out on a limb and say Divine Power. Is it high end? Very much so. But I don't feel it's in the realm of the over powered on its own, just the very very good.
    This is one of the more obvious choices. I might take it, but i cant really get any fun out of it except being better.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    For the DMM cleric: Bless.
    It's definitely not powerful and very often will be surpassed by greater morale bonuses, but 24/day you can say: "The blessing of my God, is ALWAYS on me"
    only 24 times per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    How about Ethereal Jaunt? You'd be vulnerable only to force effects and abjurations, but wouldn't have much offensive capability. You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone. But you can move freely through material objects, and see (within 60') on the Material Plane. Great for snooping.
    That should make an interesting character, too high level for me now, but i will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the responses so far.
    Last edited by Gnaritas; 2010-06-21 at 08:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

24 hours per day.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ice axe gives you an axe. Made out of ice. Deals a preposterous amount of cold damage as a melee touch attack (2d12 + 1/2 casterlevel, IIRC). Best part? It disappears anytime you're holding onto somethig else/doing something else. You can cast a spell with a shield, having this disappear while you make somatic gestures in your weapon hand, only to have it reappear for an AoO.

Better yet, claim you're unarmed, then ice axe someone in the head the moment their back turns.

Cloud of knives lets you shoot a knife dealing 1d6 + 1/3 caster level (again, IIRC) at a target within 30 feet every round. As a free action.

Ring of blades surrounds you with swords that deal 1d6 + caster level at the beginning of your turn. Might make certain non-combat situations awkward though. (For that matter, same with cloud of knives.)

My personal favorite: channeled divine shield. Normally a 1 round/lvl duration, if you take two full-round actions to cast it, you get DR 10/evil. Normally this spell is fairly useless due to the idiocy of spending two full-round actions to cast a spell during/right before combat, especially one with so short a duration.

Persist it at the beginning of the day and laugh as (a great deal of) enemy attacks bounce off your skin.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaritas View Post
    This is one of the more obvious choices. I might take it, but i cant really get any fun out of it except being better.
    Can't get fun out of it??? It gives more attacks! You roll dice more!

12. - Top - End - #12

Produce Flame. Flower Power!
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Spell flower? So you can hold the charge of a spell in each hand.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a Cleric Archer with DMM Persist. I like Divine Agility. +10 enhancement to Dex, so no gloves/weak buffs needed.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Could you give examples on what to do once i have casted Spell Flower? I am kind of thinking on situations where this is usefull and maybe i am not understanding the spell correctly.
    Last edited by Gnaritas; 2010-06-22 at 02:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Cloud of knives lets you shoot a knife dealing 1d6 + 1/3 caster level (again, IIRC) at a target within 30 feet every round. As a free action.

Ring of blades surrounds you with swords that deal 1d6 + caster level at the beginning of your turn. Might make certain non-combat situations awkward though. (For that matter, same with cloud of knives.)
    Hey, being surrounded by flying bits of metal is a really cool image, and they're "may" effects, not "have to" effects. If I could find a way to do it, I'd definitely persist these two spells all the time, and then take a bunch of other 'flying bits of metal' spells (and maybe City Spell metamagic and Spell Thematics). Don't forget that you can use Smiting Spell and Chain Spell metamagics with cloud of knives: GMW knifecloud? That has on-hit spell effects? Sweet.

17. - Top - End - #17

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Ice axe gives you an axe. Made out of ice. Deals a preposterous amount of cold damage as a melee touch attack (2d12 + 1/2 casterlevel, IIRC). Best part? It disappears anytime you're holding onto somethig else/doing something else. You can cast a spell with a shield, having this disappear while you make somatic gestures in your weapon hand, only to have it reappear for an AoO.
    It doesn't add your strength to damage, though, which might influence what other spells you choose to Persist. Still a nice weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Detect Magic and Arcane Sight can be useful - locate magical traps and treasure without a roll. But it also makes you "sensitive to magic" and always able to tell when they're magic around (unless it is hidden of course).

See Invisibility is similar, but mostly just protects you against a few highly specific things.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If you feel like being a meleemonster, you could persist girallon's blessing, charge of the triceratops, and bite of the weretiger. Ridiculous stat bonuses, Power Attack for free, +4 Natural Armor, four claw attacks with attached rending, a gore attack that deals extra if you charge, and a bite attack. Om nom nom, predation.

20. - Top - End - #20

So, um, how did you get greater dimension door onto the Cleric's spell list =p?

I'd consider Divine Power to not be overpowered (as long as you don't go ahead and persist Righteous Might, Avatar, and everything else as well). Otherwise, I'm fond of the following:

Holy Star: Gives you an AC bonus, or just shoots out max 10d6 (maximize and heighten for 90, and apply other metamagicks as your capability allows) as a range touch attack anytime during its 24 hour duration. If you want to really get cheap, add energy sub and born of three thunders (if your DM allows it).

Infernal Transformation: Pretty much what it says on the tin, although don't go to town with it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

You can use spell flower to cast say, two Inflict Critical Wounds, and hold the charge of one in one hand, and the other in the other hand, walk up and bazam!
    So with any touch spells that let you hold the charge, this one lets you cast an additional spell while holding said charge. Useful if you need to keep a heal on hand- literally.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Thunderhead.
    1/round, a lightning bolt deals 1 point of damage to teh target. (SC) Reflex save each round to avoid getting zapped.
    There's 86400 seconds in a day, so that's 14400 rounds.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Thunderhead.
    1/round, a lightning bolt deals 1 point of damage to teh target. (SC) Reflex save each round to avoid getting zapped.
    Close range, so you'd need Ocular Spell to make that Persistable. Plus, rolling all those Ref saves will drive somebody insane.

Creeping Cold is so much better if you're going that route.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Thunderhead.
    No no. You only use this for emo or depressed characters. That's the entire idea.

Ask your DM to fluff it so that it randomly makes rainshowers on your head as well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thunderhead.
    That would be good if you were trying to torture somebody.

"Look, you'd better talk. I can keep this up all day."
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    That would be good if you were trying to torture somebody.

"Look, you'd better talk. I can keep this up all day."
    I imagine that will start backfiring when they realize you can't actually stop it from going all day.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Can you persist Divine Retaliation? (PHBII) Because that is some solid spell, having your deity's weapon constantly hovering next to you. I like it's using Wisdom for attack and damage too..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Persisted Ray Deflection isn't going to shatter the world, but it will protect you against other Incantatars when you do end up shattering the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Can you persist Divine Retaliation? (PHBII) Because that is some solid spell, having your deity's weapon constantly hovering next to you. I like it's using Wisdom for attack and damage too..
    Yes, in fact it's eminently Persistable. It's be extremely fun to Persist a bunch of these at a time. Works almost as well as Streamers for the "each time you hit me, I hit you eightfold" feel.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    I imagine that will start backfiring when they realize you can't actually stop it from going all day.
    But you don't have to keep zapping stuff, do you?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.