New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (4e) Living Forgotten Realms Loot Question

So, I have story awards which I was unable to claim at the end of two sessions due to some scheduling issues, so I need to work out whether I'm taking anything from either of them or just going with the gold.

I was level 2 for them, btw. I'm a level 3 fighter now. Heavy Blade(scimitar) and Shield, onehanded weapon talent fighter.

1st
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield of Protection
    Cloak of Resistance+1
    boots of spider climbing
    bracers of defence
    shield of defiance

or the 75 extra gold

2nd
    Spoiler
    Show
    gauntlets of ogre power
    magic weapon+2
    magic orb+2

or the 75 extra gp.

This adventure leveled me up to 3rd level.

I can't really decide. I'm probably only going to play one more session with this guy and then retire him to be a backup character.

A bit of rationale would be good too, as I'd say I'm mostly actually asking for future reference and any food for thought that can be offered here.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-21 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (4e) Living Forgotten Realms Loot Question

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm probably only going to play one more session with this guy and then retire him to be a backup character.
    In that case, why bother?

As a rule of thumb, take an armor or cloak/amulet only if it is two plusses better than you have now OR if it has a very good property. So yeah, go for the +2 weapon; since it's vanilla, you can still upgrade it later.

As another rule of thumb, the overwhelming majority of 4E items have some kind of ability that either triggers too rarely (e.g. "when an enemy crits you") or does too little (e.g. "+1 to some skill") to be worth keeping track of. I'm afraid this rules out all of your picks, with the possible exception of Spider Climbing (which isn't powerful, but kind of cool).

The extra gold isn't really relevant at this level, but saving your item slots for later is.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: (4e) Living Forgotten Realms Loot Question

Well, as long as it's not just me who gets the reaction "why did they create so many crap and trap items if they were so dead set against them for this edition?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide