New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ascension of BBEG

Ok so I have decided that the BBEG of my campaign will drink from the water of a tainted holy river of heaven and ascend to Godhood. So the players will not be able to kill him, but they can end the campaign by banishing him from the Prime material plane(s). So after the campaign his clerics and many wizards and sorcerors will chase the party, being his enemies.
    How would I handle his becoming a God? Is there a handbook or something that explains this? I couldn't find anything in Dieties and Demigods
    This is Pathfinder/3.5.
    Thanks for your help
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

My Improved Fighter Variant

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Ascension of BBEG

Becoming a deity is very strange in D&D - you need worshipers to be a god, yet there are instances of beings becoming deities first and then acquiring followers, e.g. Finder Wyvernspur.

Anyway, you're the DM - you don't need explicit rules on this, just say he becomes a god. Your players may need help actually getting him to leave the Prime though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Becoming a deity is very strange in D&D - you need worshipers to be a god, yet there are instances of beings becoming deities first and then acquiring followers, e.g. Finder Wyvernspur.

Anyway, you're the DM - you don't need explicit rules on this, just say he becomes a god. Your players may need help actually getting him to leave the Prime though.
    Ok sounds good, I'll probably just study other gods in Dieties and Demigods and figure out how they work for clerics and what not.
    He'll be a god of magic.

Well they'll figure out that they need to stab him in the heart with the primary artifact which is a dagger that allows travel between alternate prime material planes, along with other abilities.
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

How can they do that if he's a god?

I'd make it so that they can banish him during the ascension process. It doesn't make sense that you could stab a god in the heart, even if you somehow hit them, you'd probably not even scratch them.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-06-22 at 04:23 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

I'd make it so that they can banish him during the ascension process. It doesn't make sense that you could stab a god in the heart, even if you somehow hit them, you'd probably not even scratch them.
    Well Yeah that's pretty much what i meant
    but then again gods aren't all powerful, especially not new ones.
    And it is a very powerful magic item.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

On the SRD there’s something called "divine ranks." I'm not sure but I think rank 1 simply makes you immortal and the higher up you go the more "godly" you are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsAion View Post
    On the SRD there’s something called "divine ranks." I'm not sure but I think rank 1 simply makes you immortal and the higher up you go the more "godly" you are.
    Oh good, I had never heard of the SRD, thats a really useful tool thank you

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeromyre View Post
    Well then, here's two links to help.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isnt that like, the first 3.5 book?
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Fantasy literature and myth have shown this to be possible time and again depending on the weapon used and the relative power of the deity in question. In fact in Norse myth the god Balder was slain by an arrow made of the one substance that could hurt him, mistletoe. An artifact of sufficient power (such as the Gray Gem from Dragonlance) could banish, trap or at the least temporarily deny a deity access to a particular material plane.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Milky9 View Post
    Isnt that like, the first 3.5 book?
    1) Technically it's not a book at all

2) The first 3.5 book would be Miniatures Handbook, IIRC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jorda75 View Post
    Fantasy literature and myth have shown this to be possible time and again depending on the weapon used and the relative power of the deity in question. In fact in Norse myth the god Balder was slain by an arrow made of the one substance that could hurt him, mistletoe. An artifact of sufficient power (such as the Gray Gem from Dragonlance) could banish, trap or at the least temporarily deny a deity access to a particular material plane.
    Exactly :D *High 5s Jorda*
    No God is Achilles Healless, so to speak.
    I think I'll Banish him for 300 years but he'll always find ways to wreak havoc on the party and maybe even gain control of some other person's body, retaining a fraction of his power.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Exactly :D *High 5s Jorda*
    No God is Achilles Healless, so to speak.
    I think I'll Banish him for 300 years but he'll always find ways to wreak havoc on the party and maybe even gain control of some other person's body, retaining a fraction of his power.
    The banishing for 300 years is a good idea and a common theme in all sorts of fantasy games, movies, ect. "You haven't seen the last of meeeeee!" Gods learn to be patient and waiting 300 years to get revenge is nothing to an immortal being, when he comes back I bet he's gonna be piiiiiissed

I actually ran a game at one point where all the gods had made an agreement not to directly interfere with the Prime because such actions would eventually destroy it. They still exerted their influence through proxies, champions and avatars but I found it much more fun to have the gods play chess with the people and races of the world rather than dropping out of the sky and just crushing everything that displeased them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Anything in 3e can be killed, even gods. That's kinda the downside of having stats.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Anything in 3e can be killed, even gods. That's kinda the downside of having stats.
    I invoke the Law of Pu--imean, It-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries