New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Help me pimp my spell list

So I'm creating a 15th level Wizard 4/Warblade 2/Abjurant Champ 4/ Eldritch Knight (Redux) 5 and I'm finding choosing my spell list a bit daunting. I've never played a wizard for exactly this reason so I'm turning to the playground for help. Using an abjuration domain wizard so I get shield, dispel and greater dispel as domain spells. I like the idea of being a self-buffer who uses spells to enhance melee with some debuffs as well (and one or two blasty spells for when I can't get into melee). As far as metamagic is concerned I have Fell Weaken (from Libris Mortis, adds -4 Str penalty to damaging spells, no save) and Empower (mostly so I can use it with Greater Insightful Strike and my concentration check that's in the 30s)

Here's what I've got so far as commonly prepared spells, omitting 0 level which is pretty much split up among mage hand and detect magic:

Spoiler
    Show
    1st:
    Persistent Blade
    Nerveskitter
    Expeditious Retreat, Swift
    Magic Missle
    Shield (x3) - this may seem excessive but the reason I'm not just buying a wand is that a wand doesn't give me the extra benefits from AbjChamp so I only get +4 to AC instead of +8 and its not quickened and extended

2nd:
    Mirror Image
    Resist energy (d) - quickened and extended
    Mindless Rage
    Bladeweave
    Glitterdust
    Wraithstrike
    Glitterdust
    Heroics - considering buying a wand for this since its probably the most versatile spell in my arsenal when you remember that martial stance and martial study are available through it and I have a pretty good IL so this spell can act as see invisibility (from Hearing the Air stance) or Scent (hunter's stance) or spider climb, etc. Pretty proud of this little trick actually

3rd:
    Haste
    Fly
    Empowered Scorching Ray
    Dragonskin
    Greater Magic Weapon
    Fell Weakening Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement (that's a lot of Str reduction)
    Dispell Magic (d)

4th:
    Bloodstar
    Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer (for metamagicking up some fell weaken magic missles)
    Luminous Armor, Greater
    Evard's Black Tentacles
    Remove Curse (d)
    Lesser Globe of Invulnerability

5th:
    Spell Matrix, Lesser (usually for dragonskin)
    Lucent Lance (I'll have luminous armor pretty much always on so I can get the 15d6)
    Feeblemind
    Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum (d)
    Unsure

6th:
    Dispel Magic, Greater (d)
    Heroism, Greater
    Mordenkainen's Lucubration

Any suggestions for the last 5th level slot? Any spells that are blatantly missing? Anything you think is a waste of space? Besides these, what are some of the more situational, batman-esque spells?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Help me pimp my spell list

I would dump your choice of direct damage spells - Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, and Ray of Enfeeblement. I'm also not a fan of minor buffs like Heroism. And situational spells like Remove Curse should be covered by a scroll, not a spell slot.

You may wish to take a look at Solid Fog, Battlemagic Perception, Benign Transposition, Defenestrating Sphere, Shivering Touch, and Wings of Flurry. There's a good/awesome/overlooked spell list thread like every week here.