Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default [3.5] Random Race (and Class!) Tables...

A while back, I started a "game" on RPoL. My goal for it was to turn it into a hub where people could organize quick, random D&D sessions. Not much came of it, because I didn't put much work into it (and thus, didn't really want to advertise it). It's still there, and I came back to do some work on it--I built my own random tables.

So far, I think I've gotten every LA+0(/0 or 1HD) race that isn't Dragon Magazine material. If you want to check it out or look over it, feel free to do so.

This is a link to the thread containing my tables. They are the second post. (Subraces have their own tables, I didn't want to clutter up the 'base table'. Any table lacking numbering is one that I'm afraid to number just yet because there may be more entries.)

Are there any other "template-races" like Dragonborn with a LA+0? Are there any other LA+1 races with no HD who have the Outsider type I could add to the lesser planetouched table?
    Last edited by Zovc; 2010-06-23 at 11:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] Random Race Tables...

I believe you have left out one of my favorite races, the Strongheart Halfling (from one of the FR books, I can't remember). Trades the +1 to saves for a bonus feat.

3. - Top - End - #3

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Bakkan View Post
    I believe you have left out one of my favorite races, the Strongheart Halfling (from one of the FR books, I can't remember). Trades the +1 to saves for a bonus feat.
    I had also left out the Psionic races! Curse you, Crystal Keep!

I'll look for Strongheart Halfling, thanks for catching that--there's a good race!

I also added a random class table. I believe I have every Wizzo base class. I left out Incarnum classes due to their vastly different mechanics.

(I realized I left out the Dragonfire Adept while typing this, so I probably have skipped over some classes! Check my work!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Awesome. I suspect it's much better than mine.

edit: Added it to the D&D folder of my Favourites.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-06-23 at 10:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Awesome. I suspect it's much better than mine.

edit: Added it to the D&D folder of my Favourites.
    X3!

It's still a work in progress, but you probably could get use out of it as-is, if you wanted to number the first table yourself. I'm also working on putting the 'random ramping' tables in.

Essentially, the last entry on LA+0 table will let you roll on a LA+1 table featuring both races and templates (which are then applied to LA+0 races, unless you manage to roll another LA+1 thingy). If I'm feeling crazy enough, I'll make that table end with 'roll on the LA+2 table.' If I'm feeling crazy enough. (Keep in mind, you can always say, "No, that's not what that entry says, it says 'roll again'.")

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: [3.5] Random Race (and Class!) Tables...

I just checked my version (for reincarnation), and yours is absolutely definitely much better than mine.

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

Just added Goblins (and many subraces for them) and Desert Kobolds. I didn't add any other kobold subraces because they were all light sensitive.

Giving Crystal Keep another sweep before I start working on LA+1, if I do that tonight.

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

I added a few more lesser planetouched to the list, I'll get on LA+1 in the near future.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about Neanderthals (Frostburn)? Possibly the best Barbarian race out there.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

10. - Top - End - #10

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    How about Neanderthals (Frostburn)? Possibly the best Barbarian race out there.
    They're listed as a human subrace in Crystal Keep--made enough sense to me. Same goes for Bhuka being goblin subraces.

Thanks for checking the table out, though! :3

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

What I'd (obviously) like to see is columns detailing what ability bonuses (or other notable things, like flight) the races give. It would make for efficient character creation ("Alright, I need a +2 Cha race for this sorcerer..."). Not sure if you can do that without violating copyrights or something though.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

12. - Top - End - #12

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    What I'd (obviously) like to see is columns detailing what ability bonuses (or other notable things, like flight) the races give. It would make for efficient character creation ("Alright, I need a +2 Cha race for this sorcerer..."). Not sure if you can do that without violating copyrights or something though.
    In all fairness, that's beyond the scope of what this is going for. Almost every race mentioned in those tables can be found in Crystal Keep's Races PDF. What's more, Crystal Keep actually has races organized by ability score bonuses at the end of its .PDF. :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

<nitpick>It's genasi, not gensai</nitpick>

Apart from that, brilliant!
    Do I remember a "grey orc" subrace in a supplement somewhere?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by rojomoke View Post
    <nitpick>It's genasi, not gensai</nitpick>

Apart from that, brilliant!
    Do I remember a "grey orc" subrace in a supplement somewhere?
    I believe it's from Forgotten Realms somewhere - +1 or +2 LA, favoured class Cleric, +2 STR and WIS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

What's so bad about Light Sensitivity that it merits disclusion from your lists? Eating a -1 penalty to attack, Search and Spot in bright light isn't the worst thing in the world. Sun lenses and Sundark Goggles cost 10 gp.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    What's so bad about Light Sensitivity that it merits disclusion from your lists? Eating a -1 penalty to attack, Search and Spot in bright light isn't the worst thing in the world. Sun lenses and Sundark Goggles cost 10 gp.
    It seems like a pretty big deal at level 1. If it can be avoided with 10gp, It's not that bad, though.

Does anyone else think I should include light sensitive races on the tables?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    It seems like a pretty big deal at level 1. If it can be avoided with 10gp, It's not that bad, though.

Does anyone else think I should include light sensitive races on the tables?
    Might as well. I guess you could make a side table but Id go for inclusion in the normal table.
    This statement is false.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

On the half-elf table you should consider adding half-drow.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Even at level 1 without the 10gp permanent solutions to Light Sensitivity/Light Blindness, I wouldn't consider a -1 penalty to attack to be especially horrible. I'd rather play a nearly-blind deep dwarf than a half-elf. Why disclude it in the first place for being slightly disadvantaged?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Uh, you forgot Aventi, from Stormwrack.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.