Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Help me decide my next Let's Play game!

With my Let's Play of Touhoumon now winding down, I've decided to get a head start on my next Let's Play project. This time, I won't be doing anything Touhou-related (GASP!). And it's not even a Pokemon game, either!

Instead, I have narrowed my selection down to three games. These games all have something in common with each other: they're each part of a different popular game series, but unfortunately, none of these games have been officially released outside of Japan. So the only way I can bring these games to you is with fan translation patches of varying completion.

But, I can't decide which one of these games to play! So, I'll decide the same way I make nearly every decision in my LPs: by asking for your feedback! I'll admit, I have a very slight preference of my own, but I'd love to hear what my potential readers want to see. Who knows? If I get enough positive feedback on the matter, I might even do the other games after completing the first!

So, here are the candidates I would like to submit for your consideration:

Choice A

Spoiler
    Show

Seiken Densetsu 3 is part of the Mana series of games, which includes titles such as Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, and Sword of Mana. In fact, it's also occassionally referred to as Secret of Mana 2, although it's technically a prequel to Secret of Mana. The game is an action RPG in much the same style as the other games in the series, but with a few unique points that make it good LP material. Perhaps most important is the fact that the game offers you six very different characters to pick from for building your team of three. The character you select as your leader will also change the beginning, middle, and especially the end of the game. In fact, there are three different endgame areas complete with their own unique final bosses, thus radically altering your quest based on who you chose as your main character. As if that weren't enough, each character will also get to class change twice, with the option of choosing Light or Dark each time, leading to 4 different final classes for each character (Light/Dark is distinct from Dark/Light). This offers a good deal of customization for your party.

My plan for this LP is to have my readers vote on which characters to use, as well as which options to pick at each class changing opportunity. I'll also let you guys decide the order in which I attempt the dungeons throughout the second half of the game. Other than that, though, there isn't much more I can have you guys vote on (um...maybe challenges like No Items and stuff?). Story-wise, I'll probably be narrating from the perspective of one of our three characters each chapter. I still haven't decided on a tone for the story yet, whether to be light-hearted or dark. Perhaps you guys can offer suggestions? Since this game is fully translated, I'll be sticking to the actual story for the most part. This'll be a screenshot LP, as opening up the menu for magic spam every 5 seconds during boss fights isn't particularly exciting.

Choice B

Spoiler
    Show

Fire Emblem 4 - Genealogy of the Holy War is considered by many older FE fans to be the best game in the series, and I can certainly see why. Many fan favorite aspects of the series appear here: a large cast of likeable characters, a suitably epic storyline (even moreso than the other FE games), multiple character and class abilities, staggeringly powerful legendary weapons, enormous campaign maps, and the fact that supports really matter. The game possesses quite a bit of depth with its bloodline mechanic and all sorts of nuiances that can drastically change how the later parts of the game plays out. But really, for me the story is the main draw here. If you haven't played or heard about this game yet, and wish to follow this LP, you may want to consider avoiding spoiling the story for yourself.

I cannot do this game justice if I treat it as flippant as I have my past LPs. Instead, I'll be narrating the story as a semi-omniscient narrator, doing my best to detail the plot as an epic tale between good and evil. I'll be sticking as close to the actual story as I can, although the translation patch I'm using is only about 90% complete. Since the game offers no arbitrary limit to the number of characters I'm allowed to use, I'll be using every character on each chapter (unless they're dead, of course). But that doesn't mean there's nothing to vote on! Oh no, of course I have to let my readers vote on the most important thing in the game: supports! Who should be paired up with who? I'll do my best to fulfill your whims (although some of those pre-destined couples can be a pain to break up). Aside from that, it might be nice to vote on who gets which weapons and other equipment as well. Unlike most other FE games, in this one weapons can be repaired as often as you want (for a price), but exchanging weapons between characters is very difficult and costly, so whoever gets a weapon will likely keep it, and by extension influence who I use the most. I'll also be taking suggestions for general strategy, as I'm sure there are a few FE veterans in the crowd here.

(*sigh* Yes...this is the one with the most incest suggestions. I just know someone's going to ask that.)

Choice C

Spoiler
    Show

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 is a little-known game from the Tales series by Namco. While the previous two games are self-contained within their respective franchises, Tales of the World revels in bringing all that you loved from past Tales games together into a delightfully fun romp.

Like the previous Tales of the World games, the main characters are a pair of teenage kids with the power to gain any abilities associated with the outfit they wear: for example, dressing up as a wizard lets them cast magic. However, what makes this game so different from its predecessors is that the cosplay duo are but a small fraction of your total fighting force. This time around, you'll be commanding up to four different parties of three characters each, moving them around on an overworld map in a typical strategy game fashion. When a party collides with an enemy, a standard Tales-esque action RPG battle results. But just who are the other playable characters that make up the majority of your fighting force? Why, how about practically every single playable character from Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny II, and Tales of Symphonia! How's that for a massively fun crossover? Dig deep enough, and you'll find even more surprises in store.

My plan for this LP is more light-hearted in tone than my plans for the other potential games. I mean, how serious can I get when I'm playing a game where the main characters defeat the forces of evil using the power of cosplay? Still, the game offers an enormous amount of customization regarding my party, not to mention the main characters themselves, who have several dozen outfits (i.e. classes) to choose from. All of this will be put up for vote, of course, so this will easily be the most reader-influenced game among the three I have here. It's also the only one that I'll probably be making boss fight videos to supplement the usual screenshot chapters, since I happen to like the Tales battle system. The narrative style will be written from the point of view of a different character each chapter; since there are a lot of characters to choose from, it's possible that I'll never write from the perspective of the same character twice, especially if you guys vote to switch up the parties often (and there's nothing wrong with that). If you've read my LP of Labyrinth of Touhou, you'll have a good idea of how I plan on writing for this LP. I should probably also note that the translation patch I'm using is only maybe 10-20% complete, so expect me to make up a lot of story stuff that I can't read! (Oh, all right, I'll stick to the general story...but I get free reign with skits!)

My LP of Touhoumon is still on-going, and may not be finished for another two weeks or so. In other words, my next LP won't start quite yet. However, I may choose to begin before I actually finish my Touhoumon LP, depending on various circumstances. First, though, I'd like to see what the Playgrounders think about all this.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-06-23 at 10:38 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help me decide my next Let's Play game!

Fire Emblem, all the way! I love the FE franchise, and that's the game I most regret not being released in the US, from all I've heard of it.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like choice C, Tales of the World. The art looks nicer and I read for light-hearted funny things. Also, I like it when the LP author makes up their own stuff; Freeman's mind, for example, has Freeman thinking/talking when that never happens in Half Life.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-06-23 at 10:57 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Fire emblem, send waves after waves of your own men at the enemy but the suggestion is serious
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Seiken Densetsu or Fire Emblem, I really can't decide. I love both games to bits.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

None of the Above.

I'd like to see Super Kaizo Brothers done. Or IWTBG.

In more srsns though, FE sounds good.
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Seiken Densetsu 3. Seriously. Yes.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Seiken Densetsu. I never got through the game, so I'd like to see how it works.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Option C all the way. That gameplay just sounds way too interesting, and I'm a fan of the Tales of Symphonia lore, so it'd be great to see some more story from that world.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be most interested in option C, that you have to come up with your own stuff I see as a plus.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

This is going to be tricky for me to vote on. Except for playing most of the first part of Radiant Dawn and around half of the intro chapter of FE7 i haven't really played anything in any of these three series. Also on one hand i'm definitely most interested in Fire Emblem, but on the other i get a distinct feeling that trying to do an LP in a serious voice would risk crashing and burning quite a bit. It just doesn't seem to suit the medium as it is usually presented. So not really sure what to vote for. Probably FE or Tales, i've never really liked the Seiken Densetsu art style and i would be looking at that a lot if you were to LP it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xp194 View Post
    . Or IWTBG. .
    im considering it myself... ive just got to get bothered enough to find a recorder to do it with. so its a possibility it might pop up in the next month.

by the way id go with A or C. they both look pretty decent.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

13. - Top - End - #13

Wow, the votes are actually fairly even thus far. Now you see why I have a hard time deciding.

(Maybe I will end up doing more than one.)
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote #1.

I'm also mildly interested in #2, but I think I'd rather play that than read an LP of it.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

someone else is doing a fire emblem lets play. dont know which though
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Option C sounds fun. Option B not so much.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Option C, please.

18. - Top - End - #18

Fire Emblem.

I vote for it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, go with C, that one sounds pretty interesting/fun.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

20. - Top - End - #20

I never really saw the appeal of the Tales series, and I liked the Mana series, but I like Fire Emblem more, which I''m voting for.
    Also known as Jarbis

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Something that doesn't net twice as many views as mine in a little over half the time. [/bitterness]

Joking aside, I suggest A. With a serious take on it if possible, since watching someone trying to spin a serious story out of that pile of goofiness would result in either awesomeplot or schadenfreude.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, it's a toss-up between A and C. As I would rather see the lesser-known game, I'm voting for Narikiri dungeon.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by littlebottom View Post
    someone else is doing a fire emblem lets play. dont know which though
    Quxelopqr is doing a LP of Fire Emblem 7: The Blazing Sword. My style will be pretty different from his. Not to mention that the games are pretty different themselves.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Okay, i'll take the chance. My vote is for Fire Emblem.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmmm....Well, I would be fine with either Fire Emblem or Narikiri but if I had to choose...I would be interested in seeing what you've got planned for the skits so...Narikiri Dungeon 3.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote for A.

27. - Top - End - #27

It looks like the final tally of votes appears to be:

Seiken Densetsu 3 - 7 votes
    Fire Emblem 4 - 7 votes
    Tales of the World - 9 votes

I'm really glad to see that all three received such support, and it really was close. I guess I'll be playing Tales of the World next. Maybe once I'm done, I'll do one of the others.

Thank you to all who voted! I hope to get this started soon, give or take whatever else is going on in my life.