New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spell to Power Erudite: Anyone remember this trick?

Earlier I was fooling around with psionics mostly just to keep myself from forgetting the general tricks of it, specifically I was fooling around with the Spell to Power Erudite variant and I know that awhile back I saw someone explain a trick to enable the Erudite to learn 9th level spells as power. Any ideas from you more psionically skilled than myself? For those who recommend learning the 9ths off lists where they are not 9ths this was not the trick, that much I remember but that is where what I remember ends too
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-06-25 at 01:57 AM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spell to Power Erudite: Am I doing this right?

Can the DM your dealing with take that level of ghouda? Are your fellow companions of the table top comfortable with that level of cheese?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-06-25 at 01:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Can the DM your dealing with take that level of ghouda? Are your fellow companions of the table top comfortable with that level of cheese?
    This is a TO experiment I've been doing for myself. Other DMs and players are not a factor.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-06-25 at 01:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    This is a TO experiment I've been doing for myself. Other DMs and players are not a factor.
    *shrugs*
    OK then, I don't find that kind of thing terribly fun myself, but hey, I am not you.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-06-25 at 01:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *shrugs*
    OK then, I don't find that kind of thing terribly fun myself, but hey, I am not you.
    To each there own, though while you're in the thread I don't suppose you have any ideas?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Spell to Power Erudite: Anyone remember this trick?

Earth Power may or may not boost the effective power level by one, but I'm AFB, so I'm uncertain if that was the trick used or not.

EDIT: It's not Earth Power.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2010-06-25 at 02:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um...What's stopping you from learning 9th level spells exactly ? You can use them just fine. Not much of a TO, though it's still extreme cheese.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    Um...What's stopping you from learning 9th level spells exactly ? You can use them just fine. Not much of a TO, though it's still extreme cheese.
    The spells are treated as discipline powers. The maximum level of a discipline power an Erudite can learn is one below the highest level power he can manifest.

9. - Top - End - #9

The spells are treated as discipline powers. The maximum level of a discipline power an Erudite can learn is one below the highest level power he can manifest.
    Ah. Well, sanctum spell, Talfirian Song if you've got some bard levels, earth power (not ?), should all solve your problem.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-06-25 at 02:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ah. Well, sanctum spell, Talfirian Song if you've got some bard levels, earth power (not ?), should all solve your problem.
    Metamagic cannot be applied to a power so I am uncertain if the metamagic's effects would remain through the conversion process. I'm not the world's greatest rules lawyer so I don't know if that's the case or not.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-06-25 at 02:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

In fact, in general, feats are completely non-transparent, which of course is weird when you consider that powers are to be treated as spells. Tali song might work, but I'm leaning towards no.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-06-25 at 02:25 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

12. - Top - End - #12

Metamagic cannot be applied to a power so I am uncertain if the metamagic's effects would remain through the conversion process. I'm not the world's greatest rules lawyer so I don't know if that's the case or not.
    Ah, you're right. Only other way I could see is converting the epic feat Improved Spell Capacity. It's shaky though, even though raw says you should be able to convert any epic feat to psionics.

If you can find someone who's already done this, psychic chirurgery could transfer the power to you earlier.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-06-25 at 02:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I seem to recall that psionicists can learn powers off each other instead of a power stone.

If this applies to a erudite, learning a prepared metamagicked power (specifically sanctum spell to lower the spell level) directly from a spellcaster's prepared slot should be possible.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    I seem to recall that psionicists can learn powers off each other instead of a power stone.

If this applies to a erudite, learning a prepared metamagicked power (specifically sanctum spell to lower the spell level) directly from a spellcaster's prepared slot should be possible.
    Yeah, that should do it. You'd need a two-person team to accomplish that trick though. Or leadership.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, you're right. Only other way I could see is converting the epic feat Improved Spell Capacity. It's shaky though, even though raw says you should be able to convert any epic feat to psionics.

If you can find someone who's already done this, psychic chirurgery could transfer the power to you earlier.
    The problem with that is- metapsionics doesn't raise the power's level, but raises the number of power points it takes to cast it.

So psionicists effectively get Improved Spell Capacity for free.

Heighten Power (if there was such a feat) might qualify- turning the power's level (for effects that ask what level a power is)
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Yeah, that should do it. You'd need a two-person team to accomplish that trick though. Or leadership.
    Or Thrallherd (aka: Leadership on steroids), which Erudites can enter.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

You could try Psi Chigury for the powers.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    You could try Psi Chigury for the powers.
    Once one StP Erudite learns them, yes. The trouble is getting them into the head of the first one.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The problem with that is- metapsionics doesn't raise the power's level, but raises the number of power points it takes to cast it.

So psionicists effectively get Improved Spell Capacity for free.

Heighten Power (if there was such a feat) might qualify- turning the power's level (for effects that ask what level a power is)
    Actually, no. Your first level energy ray, augmented to cost 20pp ? Still first level on every other account (if you ever need to get past a globe of invulnerability for example, or if you add a DC through some means). Power level and pp cost are two different monsters.

That's not the case for spellcasters though, and spell to power erudites get to treat casters just like any other source of powers. So if I'm not wrong, they can very well take "sanctum spell'd wish" out of a caster's head. A 8th level spell, which they treat as a normal 8th level power.

20. - Top - End - #20

the point being that for all metamagic other than Heighten Spell, an epic psionicist's power point cap makes him a lot like a Wizard with free Improved Spell Capacity feats.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

So if I'm not wrong, they can very well take "sanctum spell'd wish" out of a caster's head. A 8th level spell, which they treat as a normal 8th level power.
    They can indeed, so long as their thrall stays in the sanctum while preparing it.

Assuming a Cha score of 10, the earliest an Erudite/Thrallherd can get a wizard thrall capable of 9th-level spells is 18.

22. - Top - End - #22

Given that epic magic "counts as" 10th level spells- and that there is supposed to be an Epic Manifestation feat- maybe if you take that feat, you can now access 9th level spells via StP?

23. - Top - End - #23

Given that epic magic "counts as" 10th level spells- and that there is supposed to be an Epic Manifestation feat- maybe if you take that feat, you can now access 9th level spells via StP?
    Epic spells have no fixed level. However, for purposes of Concentration checks, spell resistance, and other possible situations where spell level is important, epic spells are all treated as if they were 10th-level spells.
    It's a bit murky since it's not the spell's level that's important at that point but the maximum level of spell you can cast, but I think it works by most interpretations.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Once you hit epic, lvl 9 spells ain't that great anyway.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeah, but anything becomes accessible if epic is involved. Ideally this would be a lvl 20 build.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Once you hit epic, lvl 9 spells ain't that great anyway.
    If you disallow Epic Spellcasting (perfectly reasonable) and simply use Improved Spell Capacity + Metamagic to represent "epic spells" then they can actually become useful. (For example - metamagic a Miracle of a spell not on your list.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ardent's Magic Mantle (Complete Psionic 70) make psionics and magic fully transparent.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    The Ardent's Magic Mantle (Complete Psionic 70) make psionics and magic fully transparent.
    Problem is, it doesn't work by RAI ("Most campaign already treat them in this manner" implies that those are the usual transparency rules) and is way too vague to have any effect by RAW (you could interpret it in thousands of different ways).
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-06-25 at 05:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Does a Dragonwrought Kobold Psion 18 gain the benefit of Improved Spell Capacity when they take it, through psi-magic transparency?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-06-25 at 08:04 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.