New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Multiclassing and Skill Points

If you multiclass, when you level up can you only buy ranks in your class skills on a 1:1 ratio in the skills that the class you're levelling in have granted you?

eg. Rogue 5/Barbarian 2 gains a level and decides to go up in Barbarian, does that mean that he can't put the skill points he gained from Barbarian into say, Use Magic Device (since that's a rogue class skill.)?

DM[F]R
    Pelor's White Flame, where the sun has been extinguished, arcana is disappearing, and the undead are taking the world for their own.

Espisito, NG Elf Ranger 9/ Skylord 4
    Mandar, CG Half-Vampire Human Archivist 9/Tainted Scholar 3
    Maximillian, LG Human Knight 8/Annointed Knight 3/ Legendary Leader 3
    Melahen, CG Human Sorcerer 4/Mage of the Arcane Order 9/Archmage 1

RIP Masm, Goodbye Castiel

More Truenamer utterances Here

Epic Dwarf Binder avatar by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Multiclassing and Skill Points

He can put the points into UMD, but it costs 2 points per rank, same as a cross-class skill. However, since it was a class skill for at least one of his classes, the maximum is the same as a class skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I believe that the barbarian skills are you class skills for that level, yes. Buying a rank in use magic device would cost you 2 skill points as per the normal cross class skill penalty. Thats just how I interpreted it, you should wait for someone more experienced to chime in. I just hate to see honest questions go unanswered.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-06-25 at 04:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpions__ View Post
    If you multiclass, when you level up can you only buy ranks in your class skills on a 1:1 ratio in the skills that the class you're levelling in have granted you?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpions__ View Post
    eg. Rogue 5/Barbarian 2 gains a level and decides to go up in Barbarian, does that mean that he can't put the skill points he gained from Barbarian into say, Use Magic Device (since that's a rogue class skill.)?
    Technically he CAN put the Barbarian gained skill points into UMD, he just needs to spend them at 2:1 so it's not worth it unless you are desperate for a higher UMD and/or aren't planning to take anymore Rogue levels.

But his maximum ranks in UMD is total HD + 3 ranks regardless of where the HD come from since he has at least one level that UMD is a class skill for. So he CAN spend the skill points if he really wants to.

Edit: Double Ninja'd
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2010-06-25 at 04:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Aye, max ranks are level+3 if it's a class skill for ANY of your classes. (Level+3)/2 if it's cross-class for all.

Skill points to gain a rank are based on the class you currently took a level in, and whether the skill is cross-class or not for that particular class.

Kinda kludgy, but if you go level by level it works.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can I get a rules quote on that? I though max ranks was the same as what you would get if you put 4 points in the skill at lv1 and 1 in it there after and the character sheet slot was just convenience for single last characters and for universally matching skills for all your classes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    Can I get a rules quote on that? I though max ranks was the same as what you would get if you put 4 points in the skill at lv1 and 1 in it there after and the character sheet slot was just convenience for single last characters and for universally matching skills for all your classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.
    Found here.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rouge 3/Barb 2. On lvl up, +1Barb level...
    I thought you could put max 6 points into UMD as class skill, then invest 3 more points as Cross Class, regardless where the skillpoints came from.

Or am I wrong?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You are wrong. Only when you take a given class are the skills considered class skills. It doesn't matter what has come before as far as buying ranks goes. Only for max ranks available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You're not wrong for Rogue 3/Barbarian 3 for being able to make that investment, but you'll end up with 7½ skill ranks total. You would need to spend 6 skill points as a Barbarian to get 3 more skill ranks in Use Magic Device.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2010-06-26 at 01:33 AM.