New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sea Monster

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Sea Monster

My players have decide they wanna try and sail across the ocean to explore the world, therefore my DM brain instantly said SEA MONSTER FIGHT so playgrounders give me an idea for a good sea monster to use something scary and big and can eat a ship if it wanted to.

2. - Top - End - #2

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Sea Monster

Kraken?

If they're reasonably powered...

Advanced Kraken?

If they're super powered....

Awakened Druid Kraken with a Dire Shark Companion?
    I am a Cleric Druid Warlock Ranger Wizard Psion Bard.... and my DM is evil.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

well, as some others would tell you- you had better supply some more information such as number of PCs, their levels, what effect you'd like the encounter to have and so on. that said, here are a few ideas from the top of my head (there could easely be more):

- Sauhagin! in large numbers, with some as spell casters, keeping climbing on the sides of the ship and trying to throw enemies over board to the water.
    - Sea trolls (forgot their names, look under troll). don't heal on board, but when seriously hit they jump to the water and heal for a few rounds before coming back up. as to fire- do you really want to throw a fireball upon a wooden ship?
    - Sea dragon: simply one of the water breathing ones. either black (who decided to broaden it's usuall habitat), green (the same), or perhaps even a bronze dragon. this could either be an encounter with a dragon protecting his territory, or hunting them after they hunted some sea creatures. or you could just forget the dragon is supposed to be good and give him whatever alignement you want. be aware that their repulsion breath might be quite deadly aboard a ship.
    - but really, what comes to mind when talking about a sea monster is the one and only Kraken. terror from the deep, enough tentacles to occupy the party, and can easely crush ships.
    - another ship crusher that just came to mind is a dragon turtle. your players better be ready to dive overboard! better yet- combine it with either the sauhagin or the sea trolls.

i hope this helped,
    Kol Korran.

Edit: ninja'd about the kraken... (sigh) what could you expect.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2010-06-27 at 03:25 PM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The sea trolls are called Scrags.

Also, pick something scary on land. Apply Amphibious (Stormwrack). Enjoy.

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Sorry Kol.

Speaking from experience, Scrags (Sea Trolls) mixed with and controlled by Sea Hags are deadly.

As well as Sauhagins. Use one of the multiarmed ones leading a group of the others.

Hmmm....

Aren't Aboleths aquatic? They're more in underwater caves and the like, but it could work.

I still like my Awakened Druid Kraken though....
    Last edited by Dornath; 2010-06-27 at 03:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What system? If its something where home brew is easy, a massive sea serpent is all sorts of fun. If its something where ship combat is actually in the rules, a really massive kraken is even more fun. That said, the size of the boat they are on is even more important. If its relatively small and low to the ground, its time to combine concepts. Giant turtles, used as mounts for heavily armored (in coral) charging humanoid creatures with spears, along with a turtle or two as an archer platform, and one really big one with a ballista on it could work beautifully.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Leviathans, Megalodons, Ocean Striders, Dragon Turtles, Storm Elementals, Water Elementals, Scyllaians, etc.

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

There are 4 pcs and a npc cleric who there to heal and such, there all lvl 7

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

if your willing to home brew i find modified kraken like creatures where you treat the tentacles as separate creatures trying to grapple and drag pcs overboard is fun

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Giant Octopus seems perfect for their level. Grab things with tentacles, grapple a lot, and let them have fun sundering the tentacles one by one.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Half-dragon Giant-constrictor-snakes served my purposes when I wanted to pit my players against sea serpents. 2 and a large body of water are very dangerous. I'd switched their swim and fly speeds to better fit the theme.
    Last edited by Mann; 2010-06-27 at 05:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dornath View Post
    Awakened Druid Kraken with a Dire Shark Companion?
    Kraken are magical beasts with 21 Int and knowledge of both Common and Aquan. They can't be affected by Awaken.

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateCaptain

I was confusing them with the Giant Octopus.
    My mistake.