New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Healing with Feats

I recently started my first character in the excellent Gestalt Dungeon Crawl. With my second death came the realization that I need some way to heal my character from the horrible wounds/acid/burns/broken bones the unforgiving environment keeps dishing out.

I'm quite content with my class build (Human Factotum//Warblade), and I'll become able to heal easily with spells and gear later on, so I'd like to hear a few ideas for early healing using only feats, cheap equipment and/or skills.
    Last edited by Darwin; 2010-06-29 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Healing with Feats

Equipment: Belt of Healing
    Skills: not so much
    Feats: Poison Healer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Wands of vigor. I think the price per charge is 15 gp for 11HP or something. just get a wand with 4 or 5 charges.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Reserve healing might be useful too.

5. - Top - End - #5

As a Warblade, pick Vital Recovery for 3+Your level Hp healing per encounter.

As a Crusader, Pick Stonepower for Pseudo-fast healing if you attack(Various amounts, depending on your BAB and Steely resolve pool, up to 10 at Crusader level 4 & BAB 5)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I also remember an alchemical item that heals a D6, but I think it was in a 3.0 book.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

There's a feat for shifters that allows you to heal a small number of fit points when you come out of a shift. There's also a feat in Complete Warrior called faster healing that allows you to recover hit point faster.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Oh! Tomb Tainted soul and a boot full of black sand will do it too.

Hmm... Just need to pay a caster to cast the spell (Sand domain 3rd I think) and a chicken (like 3cp I think.)
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-06-29 at 09:36 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

9. - Top - End - #9

Combat Vigor would work too.
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    I'd like to hear a few ideas for early healing using only feats, cheap equipment and/or skills.
    Draconic Aura from Dragon Magic might work, if you can get your DM to agree that you can use it to pick up the Vigor aura from PHBII (by RAW, it appears to only apply to those draconic auras in Dragon Magic).

Martial Study and Martial Stance can be used to pick up a Crusader strike and stance that offer some minor in-combat healing... I don't recall exactly which strike or stance off the top of my head. Out of combat, they're a little harder to use, although you might be able to work something out with a friendly spellcaster with some low-level summon monster spells.

Shape Soulmeld can be used to pick up Theraputic Mantle and Lifebond Vestments.

Other than that... optimize UMD + Wands of Vigor.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't there a Soulmeld for that?

Alternative, isn't there a Vestige for that?

Alternatively, Martial Study for Crusader Strike. Out of combat, punch someone, wait a couple minues, then punch them again when it refreshes. The non-lethal damage you deal should be healed instantly, as the healing restores equal amounts lethal and non-lethal. Awkward, but legal.

You can get all with feats.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-06-29 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

eek Re: Healing with Feats

The Tomb-Tainted Soul feat lets you heal from negative energy instead of positive. A dread necromancer has an at-will negative energy touch. Do the match.

(alternatively, necropolitan is an LA +0 template which changes your type to undead)

EDIT: Gear? Put some black sand in your clothes. It's an item from Sandstorm which is surrounded by magical darkness and deals continuous negative energy damage.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-29 at 09:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The Tomb-Tainted Soul feat lets you heal from negative energy instead of positive. A dread necromancer has an at-will negative energy touch. Do the match.
    Touch yourself to heal?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

keep in mind that if you get unlimited healing, the DM will just throw more stuff at you a day.

The safest bet is wands of lesser vigor.
    cost 750gp each, come with 50 charges, each cast cost 15gp and heals you of 11HP over 66 seconds.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

15. - Top - End - #15

Take Rapid Metabolism (at least I think that's what it's called) from Complete Warrior. Double natural healing rate FTW!
    -Xavez
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Don't you get some healing from level 5 in Factotum as well based on your wisdom?
    Please read and evaluate the changes I'm trying to smooth out in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154036

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrin View Post
    Don't you get some healing from level 5 in Factotum as well based on your wisdom?
    He wants healing at level 1 for the Neverending Dungeon
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    He wants healing at level 1 for the Neverending Dungeon
    Correct. Once I reach the end of floor 1 I'll be able to buy a wand with a few Lesser Vigor charges that'll keep me alive.

I like Vital Recovery and a low-charged Wand of Lesser Vigor. Both are viable at level 1, and I can easily replace Vital Recovery with retraining when it becomes redundant.
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

19. - Top - End - #19

There was an alchemical healing item. Healing Salve, the Tome and Blood version, that heals 1d8 hp, and works equally well on warforged and Modrons as it does humans! Give that one a shot.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

20. - Top - End - #20

On the subject of Soulmelds/Incarnum, be a Lesser Mechanatrix Incarnate from Fiend Folio. You'll have to shape the Lightning Gauntlets (bleh) but these can be used for infinite healing - buh?

Because Mechanatrix heal from electric damage. Oh yes.

Granted, they have few other perks (I want my human bonus feat, blargh) but that is quite nice.

This is simply for reference, as you've already said you're happy with being Human. (And to be frank, we are awesome.)
    Last edited by balistafreak; 2010-06-29 at 10:15 AM.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

the funny thing is, a truenamer can dish out the most healing per day :P (if you con't count things that give infinite free healing)
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

22. - Top - End - #22

The Devoted Spirit stance Martial Spirit might help.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand of the Nine Hells + Mark of Malbolge from Fiendish Codex II gives you nearly unlimited swift action healing, at the rate of 2d6 + your HD per round, though if your Con modifier is low you'll have to wait a bit between rounds that you heal in. Plus Mark of Malbolge gives you a bunch of other nice combat options. You need to be Lawful Evil, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

Now that is bitchin'! Why have I never heard of this before?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Obscure book. Also, you may need to have Outsider type to qualify, I need to double check.

EDIT: "Devil" is a prerequisite to take Brand of the Nine Hells. While you could evade that on the grounds that they don't actually define what that means and there is no Devil subtype, there's good odds your DM will insist you be a Lawful Evil outsider, probably of a monster race. Worth a try, though. In any case, Neraph + Alter Self could certainly do it.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2010-06-29 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Obscure book. Also, you may need to have Outsider type to qualify, I need to double check.

EDIT: "Devil" is a prerequisite to take Brand of the Nine Hells. While you could evade that on the grounds that they don't actually define what that means and there is no Devil subtype, there's good odds your DM will insist you be a Lawful Evil outsider, probably of a monster race. Worth a try, though. In any case, Neraph + Alter Self could certainly do it.
    I suppose a good Tiefling and a diplomacy check could possibly pull it off
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

No mentions of Trollblooded, is there a reason?
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Vec View Post
    No mentions of Trollblooded, is there a reason?
    I would have, but I figured people were avoiding it for some reason. Not sure why though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!