Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D3.5] The Doctor

I posted something similar before, but nobody responded...

In a nutshell, I need to create The Doctor, a la Doctor Who. Specifically, it will probably be 10.

Crunch-wise, it's a gestalt game, with following scores: 18, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 at ECL 12. Yes, aren't I lucky The Doctor, as we all know, is a pacifist, so I would like to retain that aspect of his personality, if at all possible, and possibly receive mechanical benefit for doing so. Additionally, the Time Lord race is in my signature, but in a nutshell: +4 cha, +4 int, +2 wis, bardic knowledge based on class level, immunity to time-based spells, time lord regeneration (as show), telepathy 10ft, Speak Language as class skill always, racial type is Outsider (native).

Currently, I'm tending toward Factotum // Bard / Exemplar, but I know there must be a better way to represent him. Any suggestions? And, if an arcane class is included, what sort of spells should I tend towards that won't seem too out of place?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [D&D3.5] The Doctor

Maybe some Artificer perhaps?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

weapon profficiency: sonic screwdriver. sure as heck canbt be the doctor without a sonic screwdriver!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Hehe, aye. I'll probably end up putting in the sonic screwdriver as some sort of item of legacy with large bonuses to disable device and pick lock... as a start

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    Maybe some Artificer perhaps?
    Factotum Artificer of Wizard Artificer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

favored enemy: Daleks perhaps? or would it be more of "least favored" ?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

D&D really isn't the system to handle the doctor. Guy's main power is being made of solid plotarmorium. You're gonna need some measure of narrative control to replicate that.
    Anyway, artificer is probably the closest you'll get. If you can, get yourself some items to boost your social skills through the roof. Also, use power crystals to replicate that psionic time travelling trick.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

In my opinion, the Doctor is a 30th-level Artificer/Factotum with a unique template/race that grants the Time Lord properties.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Factotum//artificer/chameleon/gatecrasher

10. - Top - End - #10

Artificer/Factotum.
    That is pretty much him.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hm. I'm only passingly familiar with the Artificer, but I'm unsure how an item-creation class ties into the concept of The Doctor

Can someone explain?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Holocron Coder View Post
    Hm. I'm only passingly familiar with the Artificer, but I'm unsure how an item-creation class ties into the concept of The Doctor

Can someone explain?
    You're not kidding? More than half the episodes are solved by the Doctor whipping up some device/machanical solution to the problem, be it a detector, a gun disabler, or a rewiring of an escape pod's circuits to allow it extradimensional flight in time to catch up to the enemy space ship and save the day by dropping a hastily made something into an exhaust port.

Note, the last example hasn't happened to me knowledge, yet, but it's something he'd do.

An Artificer, a class that makes magic items that he/she needs before they're needed, or when needed, is right up the Doctor's alley. You could even roleplay it as simple as the Doctor taking a pile of rubbish parts, taking five minutes with his Sonic Screwdriver, and coming out of it with exactly the device needed.
    The Silverclawshift Campaign Journals Two FANTASTIC campaigns detailed here. An absolute must read.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw