New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Flying and Hiding

As a GM, would you allow someone to claim concealment for "attacking out of the sun" (i.e. having the sun at your back, so people trying to target you have to look into the sun)?

Just something that came to me out of the "Eldritch Spear" discussion. Fly + Eldritch Spear + Using the Sun to blind people trying to look at you.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Flying and Hiding

sound reasonable to me. Its basically trying to "hide" and snipe from in front of the sun? The character would, upon successful hide, be un-targetable by anyone between him and the sun, though when they move laterally they would be able to see him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As a DM, if my players are creative enough to use smart tactics that would work in real life, then I allow it. (As long as they don't use them too often.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    As a GM, would you allow someone to claim concealment for "attacking out of the sun" (i.e. having the sun at your back, so people trying to target you have to look into the sun)?

Just something that came to me out of the "Eldritch Spear" discussion. Fly + Eldritch Spear + Using the Sun to blind people trying to look at you.
    It's not RAW, but I'd definitely allow it as a GM. Just make the standard hide check. Though I'm not sure if that would work with creatures with darkvision. They don't care about light, right ?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    It's not RAW, but I'd definitely allow it as a GM. Just make the standard hide check. Though I'm not sure if that would work with creatures with darkvision. They don't care about light, right ?
    Darkvision is seeing with the absence of light. The creatures with the best darkvision usually have Light Blindness when broad daylight (like Drow). So, I wouldn't consider creatures with darkvision better off when looking into the sun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Darkvision is seeing with the absence of light. The creatures with the best darkvision usually have Light Blindness when broad daylight (like Drow). So, I wouldn't consider creatures with darkvision better off when looking into the sun.
    Slightly off topic, but can you hide in shadows from creatures with Darkvision. I mean, Shadows are a primary way for rogues and the like toe sneak around (For good reason), but considering WoTC felt like they should give every other monster in the manual Darkvision, it seems that hiding in shadows is useless against pretty much everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Slightly off topic, but can you hide in shadows from creatures with Darkvision. I mean, Shadows are a primary way for rogues and the like toe sneak around (For good reason), but considering WoTC felt like they should give every other monster in the manual Darkvision, it seems that hiding in shadows is useless against pretty much everybody.
    This is why they created the Darkstalker feat. IIRC, it is from Lords of Madness. It forces anyone looking for you to make spot checks like normal, even if they have nonstandard senses. I think you are still screwed against mindsight though...
    "This house is invisible to the ignorant."

8. - Top - End - #8

It's not in the Core rules, and it has to be the right time of day, but I would allow it.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, Darkvision (from my understanding) only works in absolute darkness. So, if there are any light sources in a room, darkvision won't work at all. If the room was pitch black, then a rogue would still have to use a hide check to use something in the room to hide behind to avoid being spotted by a creature with darkvision.

Low-light vision might make it harder to avoid detection in a dark room with a single light.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Well, Darkvision (from my understanding) only works in absolute darkness.
    Not according to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Darkvision
    Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature. Darkvision is black and white only (colors cannot be discerned). It does not allow characters to see anything that they could not see otherwise—invisible objects are still invisible, and illusions are still visible as what they seem to be. Likewise, darkvision subjects a creature to gaze attacks normally. The presence of light does not spoil darkvision.
    Bolded for emphasis.
    Last edited by drengnikrafe; 2010-06-29 at 08:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Why, if they can't even see the sun out in this distance?! [/BadJoke]

In all seriousness, it would only work in specific times and places, on a very clear sky. Like midday and just before sundown. Other times, the sun normally isn't as bright and might be behind clouds and all.
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

There's no specifics about staring at the sun, so it's really up to your discretion. Personally I'd grant concealment, but not allow the hide check.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Concealment is about low contrast. In very dim light everything is dim. In the direction of the sun everything is bright unless you've got some way of cutting out the glare. An attack from the direction of the sun would normally have concealment, but not against someone with Sundark goggles (Races of the Dragon).

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Isn't all vision with darkvision considered shadowy illumination and thus allowing hide checks?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Concealment is about low contrast. In very dim light everything is dim. In the direction of the sun everything is bright unless you've got some way of cutting out the glare. An attack from the direction of the sun would normally have concealment, but not against someone with Sundark goggles (Races of the Dragon).

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
    I thought about concealment because normally you can't stare at the sun without going blind, so your vision is impaired. Try looking at something exactly between you and the sun and see if you'll see it well.

The only nonblindness effect linked to bright light i recall off my had is the Flare cantrip.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

No concealment, but since creative tactics rock... Reflex save or blinded for 1 round, dazzled on a successful save. After the first round, if the character manages to keep the sun at their back, the dazzled condition applies for 1 round following any attack on the character. It's not terribly powerful, and is easy to counter by moving around the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    Isn't all vision with darkvision considered shadowy illumination and thus allowing hide checks?
    Nope.

From the SRD:

"Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature. Darkvision is black and white only (colors cannot be discerned). It does not allow characters to see anything that they could not see otherwise — invisible objects are still invisible, and illusions are still visible as what they seem to be. Likewise, darkvision subjects a creature to gaze attacks normally. The presence of light does not spoil darkvision."

"Characters with darkvision (dwarves and half-orcs) can see lit areas normally as well as dark areas within 60 feet. A creature can’t hide within 60 feet of a character with darkvision unless it is invisible or has cover."
    Last edited by Aroka; 2010-06-30 at 06:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'd most likely do something like give enemies a penalty to defense for trying to hit you, and a penalty to attacks when trying to hit you. Simple, straightforward, easy to do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    I'd most likely do something like give enemies a penalty to defense for trying to hit you, and a penalty to attacks when trying to hit you. Simple, straightforward, easy to do.
    Great. Now I just need to figure out how to fly, get someplace with a sun, and attack from a distance... then I'm SET!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.