New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Incantatar's abilities and IOTSFV veils.

Looking at the Incantatar's Metamagic Effect ability and the wording of the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils' veils, do these work together?

For instance, if you bring up a veil with the IOTSFV, can you apply a metamagic feat to it by using the Incantatar's Metamagic Effect ability. Let's say you bring up the violet veil and it lasts for 1 minute per level. It is the "equivalent of an 8th level spell" but it is not truly a spell. Can you apply the Persistent Spell feat to the veil, in essence giving it a duration of 24 hours, by using the Metamagic Effect ability of an Incantatar.

My belief if that you cannot as the veil is not a spell, but rather is equivalent to a spell. My DM believes, and I agree with him, that the equivalency is for spell immunities and the like.

Any thougths? Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Incantatar's abilities and IOTSFV veils.

No, you can't apply metamagic affects to spell-like abilities. However, Complete Arcane includes such feats as Quicken Spell-Like Ability. There isn't a Persistent Spell-Like Ability (and honestly, thank god), but if your DM is amenable, I am sure you can work back from there.