New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Psionic Only World

Well, once again, title says it all.
    I'm interested in playing in a world like this, and I thought I should ask.
    GITP, what is your experience playing in only psionic worlds, no Vancian Magic?
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Only World

In my mind Psionics = Jedi.

So reflavor everything by adding laser to preexisting equipment and cheddar monk it up.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I once ran a short campaign with no vancian magic. Psionics, ToB, incarnum, warlocks, etc were fine, but no bards wizards sorcererers clerics paladins rangers etc.

Ended up with a totemist, a rogue, and a warlock. I threw them a plot hook to get a healing spirit so they didn't have to UMD a wand of lesser vigor (the warlock was pretty new). They took over a town and ended up all getting killed by a dinosaur/storm elemental. Good times.

So, in answer to your query, it's a fine idea but warn the PC's to avoid dinosaurs.

4. - Top - End - #4

Not really different, given psionics pretty much represents how magic works in alot of fantasy settings. No fancy hand gestures (unless you want to, for dramatic effect!), but the power looks like whatever you want it to, and is as strong as however much effort you put into it.

That is to say, it's an effective replacement. The only things you'll probably miss are Illusions, and Necromancy (I think), compared to the Arcane and Divine counterparts.

5. - Top - End - #5

No magic whatsoever outside of Psionics? The biggest difficulty will be finding effective ways to heal. Being able to reliably identify magic items will also be a bit of a chore; there's a psionic equivalent of Identify for both psions and wilders, but you can only identify one magic item per day. Those are the only two things I can think of right now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Write Psionic equivalent for Vigor-line along with maybe Cures and Heal (toss them to e.g. Ardent in some Mantle; say "Healing") to enable Dorjes of Lesser Vigor, Dorjes of CLW and Scrolls of Heal; voila, you're fine. Resurrection would need to be added somehow too, but hey, that's all pretty trivial.

Beyond that, it'd be more balanced, that's for sure. It should also be somewhat more interesting since Psionics are more modular and offer more choices and so on. In short, it would be friggin' awesome.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post

So reflavor everything by adding laser to preexisting equipment and cheddar monk it up.
    ...No.

It's magic. It just doesn't require bat crap and homemade television sets.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-07-03 at 11:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    ...No.

Yeah, a lot of people are turned off at first glance by the world "Psi" and the tentacled alien looking monsters, it gives off a Science Fiction feel (at just first glance, nothing more) that isn't really what Psionics is about.
    Last edited by Erts; 2010-07-04 at 12:00 AM.

-Voltaire

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you want some comic/ manga inspiration about all psionics then check out Psyren.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    I once ran a short campaign with no vancian magic. Psionics, ToB, incarnum, warlocks, etc were fine, but no bards wizards sorcererers clerics paladins rangers etc.

Ended up with a totemist, a rogue, and a warlock. I threw them a plot hook to get a healing spirit so they didn't have to UMD a wand of lesser vigor (the warlock was pretty new). They took over a town and ended up all getting killed by a dinosaur/storm elemental. Good times.

So, in answer to your query, it's a fine idea but warn the PC's to avoid dinosaurs.
    I ran a campaign like this. Vancian magic wasn't gone (though PCs were forbidden to use it), though... it's just that using it caused really bad things to happen to the world around you (really bad. A 6th level spell ended up rewriting the map and creating mountains and stuff out of nowhere.), so it was heavily illegal. The PCs were a band of special forces who basically went around cleaning up the horrific backlash that lawbreaking mages caused.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I ran a campaign like this. Vancian magic wasn't gone (though PCs were forbidden to use it), though... it's just that using it caused really bad things to happen to the world around you (really bad. A 6th level spell ended up rewriting the map and creating mountains and stuff out of nowhere.), so it was heavily illegal. The PCs were a band of special forces who basically went around cleaning up the horrific backlash that lawbreaking mages caused.
    Oh? How did it go?

-Voltaire

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    Oh? How did it go?
    I suppose you could say the campaign was somewhat moving. Perhaps even earth-shattering.

That was almost too much for me to utter.

More seriously, I'm quite interested about how it turned out as well. I'm pondering running a game such as that when I get back to college this fall.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    ...No.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleKing View Post
    If you want some comic/ manga inspiration about all psionics then check out Psyren.
    These +25.

Also, you'll really want 3rd-party to pull this off, because WotC did a terrible job of supporting psionics (though still better than some of their other systems, e.g. Incarnum.) I would start with the Dreamscarred Press material (they have an SRD!) and also nab Hyperconscious by Bruce Cordell.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

psionics is regarded as much more balanced then core magic (which is broken as hell). (although psionics still has a few broken things).
    it is a smoother easier system.

As others have said:
    It is plain magic, none of that sci-fa(ntasy) stuff
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-07-05 at 01:14 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"A rose by another name would smell the same."
    Psionics is just a differently named magic. Crunch is solid, fluff is good as well - if it isn't, that's the easiest thing to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post

And end up with ten foot laser poles?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.