New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How much would an item that grants fast healing 1 cost?

I'm trying to make a modified version of the weapon "Soul Calibur" and I thought Fast healing 1 made sense for the weapon.

What would the bonus be for a weapon like this? Or what would you add to the cost for a weapon that had this ability? Being based off of soul Calibur I figured that as soon as you dropped to dying the fast healing no longer functions until the next encounter.

If this seems like it's too powerful or it would be prohibitively expensive then I'll give up on the idea. I just figured I should ask. The weapon is already going to cost at least 21,000 gold just to use.

Also, is there a weapon enchantment that makes it so you can dismiss and summon it?

Edit: does increasing the size of a weapon provide any benefit other than an increased damage die? Like a bonus to trip attempts?

Edit 2: I was informed that tripping an opponent allows you to immediately make an extra attack against them. However, I can't find this under "Trip" in the SRD. Can somebody confirm this?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-07-06 at 03:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How much would an item that grants fast healing 1 cost?

I dont know about the first two parts but on trip:

You have to have Improved trip to get that bonus attack on the person heres a link to the SRD for you

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTrip

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on magic item creation guidelines, the fast healing 1 would be an additional 12000 gp on top of whatever else the weapon costs (treating it as continuous lesser vigor). I can't help with the rest, unfortunately.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say Fast Healing 1 would be worth around ~8,000 gp, or maybe +1 or +2. It's effectively infinite out of combat healing, but it's not that great when limited to one person (it's a bit cheap for +1 if you allow it to be passed around though). It doesn't directly add to combat ability, and isn't even all that good at higher levels, so a static cost is better than a +X modifier. 8,000 sound right, but even something as low as 5,000 would work if it only affects one person or, in this case, it goes on something already as expensive as that.

Increasing weapon size only changes damage, weight, and ease of wielding (you take penalties if weapon size is off, and Monkey Grip sucks). It does not change reach, tripping ability, or anything else of that nature.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Edit: does increasing the size of a weapon provide any benefit other than an increased damage die? Like a bonus to trip attempts?
    Bonuses to trip attempts, don't include weapon size: the size that matter, is the combatants'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Edit 2: I was informed that tripping an opponent allows you to immediately make an extra attack against them. However, I can't find this under "Trip" in the SRD. Can somebody confirm this?
    What FelixG said. The bonus attack, comes with Improved Trip.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

If you want to get REALLY nutty. You can use the rules in the arms and equipment guide to have it give you the "trollblooded" feat. It would cost 15k since it has a requirement feat (toughness) but it grants you regeneration 1, overcome by fire and acid, and you're treated as fatigued in sunlight, but I'm sure you could find a way around that weakness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    If you want to get REALLY nutty. You can use the rules in the arms and equipment guide to have it give you the "trollblooded" feat. It would cost 15k since it has a requirement feat (toughness) but it grants you regeneration 1, overcome by fire and acid, and you're treated as fatigued in sunlight, but I'm sure you could find a way around that weakness.
    Well, I'm actually immune to fatigue. However, fast healing seems to work better for Soul calibur than regeneration since nothing stops the healing but it ends as soon as you're knocked out.

And the extra attack only works if I have improved trip? Dang.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, at what point does fast healing 1 become not very useful? How much HP do you have to have?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-07-06 at 01:53 PM.