New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default The Story of Ash, Chapter 3 - Let's Play Final Fantasy III

And here it is. The (not) long awaited third installment in my Let's Play series, The Story of Ash. This time I'm playing Final Fantasy III, while previously I played Pokemon Yellow and Monster Rancher Advance II. It's not strictly necessary to have read those to read this, although it'll make understanding things easier. So I'd recommend you do.

Oh, and this is a blind playthrough, so if I mess up, that'd be why. Should be fun, right?

...right?

This is turning out to be a bit more text-y than the other installments. If reading isn't your forte, I'm very sorry. Also, I'm not gonna promise an update schedule on this one. I said twice a week with MRAII and... yeah, look how that turned out. The schedule is officially "When I can". So yeah.

Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-09-26 at 04:59 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default The Third Beginning

"W-where am I? The last thing I remember is... I was engulfed by a light, that was it. And Holly and Doughnut... I was going home, and they were there. But..."

"Why is it so dark?"

"Ugh... I feel queasy... where am I? It looks like some sort of cave, but..." I looked around. It was pretty dim in the cave, and my eyes weren't adjusted yet. I didn't see much. "How did I get here?"
    "Ash?" I recognized that voice! It was coming from the dark in front of me, but I would know it anywhere!
    "Holly?!" I ran forward. I couldn't see where I was going and almost slammed into a wall, but somebody caught me. "Holly, is that you?"
    "Not quite..." I looked up. Even in the dark I could tell I didn't know who this was.
    "W-who is it?"
    "You wouldn't believe me if I told you... just... ask him yourself." I looked up at the stranger, right at his face. He had a simple look on it, which I could tell now that my eyes were growing accustomed to the dark.
    "Who are you?" My answer came quick, and the deep booming voice was so surprising, especially combined with the answer, that I jumped backwards when I heard it and fell flat on my butt.
    "Do!"
    "Doughnut, t-that can't be you, can it?!" He simply stood there and nodded, swinging his arms and swaying lightly back and forth to a steady beat. "I... how?"
    "Honestly, Ash? It's probably better if we don't ask..."
    "You've got a point there. So what gives? I thought that thing was supposed to take me home?"
    "To be fair we didn't really know that, it was only an assumption based on legends we heard second hand. From Karnab."
    "Oh, right..." Still, it wasn't all bad. I was stuck in unfamiliar lands again, but at least Holly and Doughnut were here for company.
    "So, Ash, are you going to introduce us to whoever that is behind you?"
    "Behind me?!" I scrambled to my feet and turned around quickly. Standing behind me was another person I didn't know, a knife at their side wearing simplistic but military looking clothes. "And who are you?"
    "Chris."
    "Chris... do I know you?" The person simply shrugged. "How did you get here?"
    "Was an earthquake. Fell through the hole." Chris motioned upwards, but to what I don't know. I didn't see anything up there. Must've been a long fall.
    "Do you know where we are?" No reply. Chris didn't seem to like to talk more than was needed. "Alright... I guess... if the whole Chris fell through is that high up, nobody's going to come rescue us. I think we should start moving."
    "Sounds good to me."

And like that, our small group of four had formed. We walked deeper into the cave, the dim light never seeming to vary despite there being no obvious source of light anywhere. After a half hour of walking, there was a noise around us.
    "What's that?"
    "Gra!"

Before I had any clue what was happening, we were approached by three strange humanoid figures. They were small and scraggly, and, I noticed a bit too late, wielding daggers. Chris charged at one and gave it a solid punch to the gut, before stabbing the dagger into its flank. I didn't see how grievous a wound it was, but the thing dropped so it must have been good. In my surprise, another goblin ran up to me. I only just barely avoided a knife in my neck, getting instead a large slash down my left arm.

"Argh!" I stumbled backwards in pain, grasping at my bleeding arm.
    "Don't just stand, fight!" I looked over to Holly. She seemed as lost as I was. Doughnut on the other hand, procured his own dagger from along his belt and charged at the thing that had attacked me.

Together, he and Chris took care of the last thing.
    "You did nothing. Never survive like that."
    I winced, my arm shooting a spasm of pain through my body. "I'm sorry, we... we're not used to this." I grasped along my belt, and just like Doughnut, I had a knife there. I pulled it out and held it in my good hand. I think I saw Holly do the same. "We should probably get moving, you never know when there will be more of those..."

"Treasure chests?"
    "I'm not complaining..." I ran up to the chests and pried open the lids. One of them had a vial inside containing a strange liquid.
    "Potions. Heals wounds."

The other had a shield inside.
    "Here, Holly. Take the shield."
    "You take it, Ash. You've already been wounded."
    I smiled my thanks to her and strapped the shield onto my left arm. We continued onwards.

"Is this a dead end?"
    "It can't be, it never is... check the rock."
    "What? That's ridiculous!" I thought for a few moments, and deciding that since I'd lose nothing by trying, I walked up to the rock and pressed it. Much to my surprise, it sank into the ground and the cave started shaking. A big hole opened up in the wall, allowing us to continue.

"Well I'll be damned..." We continued onwards, up a flight of stairs. When we got up there...

"What are those?!"
    "No time talk, just fight."
    The fight was difficult. The strange blue thing was no problem to take care of, but the strange flower things bit back, and bit hard. Chris got a nasty bite up his arm. It was bleeding when the battle ended, but he continued onwards.
    "Uh... shouldn't we stop a-"
    "I'm fine." I sighed, and the rest of us followed after.

"What's that?"
    "It looks like some sort of natural spring... deep in a cave. I don't think we should tru-" Before I could finish, Chris ran over to the spring and took a deep drink from it. "No, what are you doing? That could be full of diseases like..." I trailed off. It was hard not to when...

Chris started glowing. Right before our eyes, the bite wound faded away until it was gone completely. "Healing water. Drink."
    Didn't have to tell me twice, after that demonstration. We stayed and rested for a while; we'd been walking for three hours now, easy. Eventually though, we moved on...

"Do!"
    "You're right, Doughnut... it looks like this ominous door and staircase is the only way to advance..."
    "Doughn-"
    "Don't ask." We gathered our courage and stepped through the door. What we saw on the other side...

"Wow... it's... beautiful." Our attention was drawn completely to the large crystal jutting from the floor in the middle of the room. Almost as if we were being forced to, we all stepped forward. We didn't notice the dark clouds gathering around us until...

"GWAAH"
    Boss Battle - Land Turtle
    After the fierce battle, we stopped to check ourselves. Our wounds weren't fatal, but boy were they painful... we all shared a potion to ease the pain. While we sat there on the crystal floor, a voice resonated through the cavern.
    "You four... have been chosen... Do not fear, I am the spirit of the crystal... my power... is leaving me... the darkness is coming, and you... have been chosen to fight it... I will give you... my remaining power... my light... with it, you can receive more power from... the other crystals...

As the crystal spoke, a bright light filled the room. Bouncing off the various types of crystals, it reflected everywhere, growing brighter and brighter, enveloping us all. I could feel a power welling up inside... it... felt good.

"You can leave through the magic circle behind me... please, do not fail..." The crystal's brilliant light faded away, and by the time our eyes regained their ability to see, the crystal had disappeared. We were all shaking from the feeling of the power inside of us.
    "...so..."
    "Magic circle?" We all agreed silently, and stepped forward, stepping inside the intricate design. We all began spinning around, the sights in front of us blurring with the speed. As we spun, only one thought crossed my mind.

"Dammit, it's Silph Co. all over again!"
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-07-06 at 07:14 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Story of Ash, Chapter 3 - Let's Play Final Fantasy III

:D There is nothing I can say that cannot be said with this smilie.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Good use of the annotations.

I look forward to seeing this. After all it was my suggestion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Squee! Part three is here!

I rather liked the way you used the speech bubbles in the video. It's something I hadn't seen done before.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ash can fight pretty well, considering for all these times he's only ordering other creatures to fight for him. I don't know what to think on Holly and doughnut being here though. On one hand, it gives somewhat a happy note, but on the other hand, somehow I just felt that it'd be more thematically fit if they're left behind as Ash started his new adventure... and it gives a bittersweet tearjerking ending to your last LP...
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Ash can fight pretty well, considering for all these times he's only ordering other creatures to fight for him. I don't know what to think on Holly and doughnut being here though. On one hand, it gives somewhat a happy note, but on the other hand, somehow I just felt that it'd be more thematically fit if they're left behind as Ash started his new adventure... and it gives a bittersweet tearjerking ending to your last LP...
    I know what you mean. My only experience with the game so far was the DS remake, where you start only with Lunic (Ash) and get the other 3 after leaving the cave.

When I was planning this LP I did consider both of those, whether to keep it a strong, bittersweet ending or make it a bit happier. I eventually went with the second option, bringing Holly and Doughnut (I don't think anybody ever mentioned bringing Doughnut back, though. Just Holly.) back, but under the assumption the NES game still had the party members delayed. Oops.

But hey, next up is (probably) Pokemon Gold, and I'd love to see any ideas on how I could bring them into that. Granted, I could also do Mother/Earthbound, and I could bring them back for that, but that'd be silly. =P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve only ever played the DS remake, so this whole thing is new for me. though IIRC, you get the token girl, and the other boy fairly early on in the DS remake, so you probably could have managed with that, the introduction of Chris might have also been a little easier.

also: if possible, Ash should become a summoner or whatever class summons things. just as a way to play out on his monsters-fight-for-me past.

Dohnut could be a warrior (HEAD BUTT OF DOOOOM!)

and Holly, probably the white mage/healer, since she takes care of (heals) monsters in MR2
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

I was planning on having Ash and Holly being Black/White mages (not sure which would have been which yet though), and having Chris and Doughnut go into tough fighting classes (Doughnut as a monk is hilarious in my mind for some reason), but I'm open to suggestions. This is a Let's Play, after all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds good to me... Donut as a monk and Ash as a summoner. Having Holly turn out to be a tough fighter as well would be kind of funny as well.

(But then again, i don't know what classes are available. Maybe there's something better for her.)

Dunno who this Chris person is, though.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #11

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I'm sure Chris is a reference to something, but right now I'm nursing the theory that the crystal was specifically talking to him, the silent protagonist of the story, and the three wayward souls are his sidekicks.

And as for what classes to give the characters, from what I hear, the original FF3 is much, much harder and more or less requires specific class lineups to beat bosses. According to the hype, the final dungeon is all but impossible without using two characters of one specific class and two of another.

But that doesn't mean we can't offer suggestions on what classes to try out anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    (But then again, i don't know what classes are available. Maybe there's something better for her.)
    Right now, everybody is an Onion Knight. The bottom of the page, under the Final Fantasy III Jobs table has links to the other jobs.

Have fun!

Dunno who this Chris person is, though.
    There were four people, and I didn't want to bring in a third person from the last chapter. Figured it'd be less work to just have the last person be from the universe than edit out the character entirely. Anything more on Chris, though, depends on what theories people come up with for me to steal I decide on later.

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    I'm sure Chris is a reference to something, but right now I'm nursing the theory that the crystal was specifically talking to him, the silent protagonist of the story, and the three wayward souls are his sidekicks.
    That's entirely possible... *scribbles notes hastily in a notepad*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Have somebody stay Onion Knight all the way through to level 99. Because Onion Knight's are crazy good at level 99
    All thanks to Domochevsky for the epic avatar

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illic est haud affectus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud ignarus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud perturbatio, illic est hunger.
    There est haud chaos, illic est hunger.
    There est haud nex, illic est Hive.

Δεν υπάρχει συναίσθημα, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει άγνοια, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει πάθος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει χάος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει θάνατος, υπάρχει το Καταφύγιο.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I support that. Possibly for Chris (evolving into Sage if that's how it works >_> ).

Geomancer for Hollie, Monk or Blackbelt for Donut and Summoner or Evoker for Ash, since that what he does.

The downside of that is that there are no healers in the party. Hope you get enough potions.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by NecroticPunch View Post
    Have somebody stay Onion Knight all the way through to level 99. Because Onion Knight's are crazy good at level 99
    I support that. Possibly for Chris (evolving into Sage if that's how it works >_> ).
    God are you guys trying to kill me?

Starting the next update now. Gonna try to get an update out every Saturday and Sunday, but no promises.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroticPunch View Post
    Nonono. Have EVERYBODY stay Onion Knight all the way through.
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

There has to be at least a Sage and a Ninja. And an Onion Knight. All of those.

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm all for Ash finishing as a sage and Donut a ninja, with most of Donut's grinding done as a monk/black-belt. In the DS version at least, the latter two are the best classes in the game for maxxing HP. Why Ninja? The Throw ability. It just took him THAT long in training to learn a new move.

19. - Top - End - #19

Default Jinn's Curse

The spinning eventually slowed, and after I picked myself up off the ground and opened my eyes, I saw where we were: standing outside the entrance to a cave surrounded by mountains, with a large, expansive field in front of us.

"Where are we?"
    "Near my hometown. Come on." Chris seemed to know where we were going, so we all followed without protest. Besides, it seemed that this world was a dangerous place and that Chris had experience with it. Best to follow whoever knows the most, right?

It was a long walk, several hours easily. It was exhausting, to say the least. It seemed that if we spent any period of time in this world, I'd certainly be getting the exercise I needed for my entire lifetime within the next few months. Thankfully, though, we eventually approached a town.
    "The town of Ur. My hometown." After that, it didn't take very long for us to arrive.

"We should go see the elder." Again, nobody argued as Chris led us to a large building.

"But... Chris, are you alright? We all felt the earthquake, and when you didn't show up... Chris shook his head.
    "I'm fine. There were a few problems, but I had help," Chris motioned back to us as he said this. Well, mostly to Doughnut, but still. "and it wasn't too much trouble." The person Chris was talking to looked like he wanted to ask more, but Chris cut him off. "I would love to stay and talk, but we really need to see the elder." Chris had already started walking into the building by the time the guy responded.
    "Oh, all right then... I understand entirely." We bowed our heads in a silent hello to him as we followed Chris into the building. To be honest, we were too tired to do much else.

"Chris, is that you?"
    "Indeed it is, Elder Loa."
    "I'm glad to see you've made it back, but... who are these three?" The elder in the room motioned to us.
    "I found them in the cave. Their names are Holly, Ash, and Doughnut. Any more than that you would have to ask them."
    "Would that be... the Altar Cave?" Chris nodded, and the elder turned around. "I see..." He stayed turned away from us, thinking I presume, for a long time. At one point I thought maybe he had a heart attack and nobody had noticed, but he turned around eventually and spoke again. "And at the Altar Cave... did you meet the Wind Crystal?" Chris nodded again. "You were chosen?" And again. "Were they chosen as well?"
    "I believe so."
    "Interesting... I assume you know what you must do, Chris?"
    "Of course, Loa, but why these three? Only the one can fight at all, and-"
    "Chris, there are other ways than through brute force. These three were chosen for a reason, and it is not our place to question the crystals." Chris bowed his head respectfully and the Elder turned to us. "Do you three know what's going on?" I looked at Holly and Doughnut. They seemed just about as lost as I was.
    "Not really, sir." He sighed.
    "It is a long story... one, I am afraid, we do not have time for in its entirety. The balance of this world, and its counterpart the Dark World, is threatened. If the problem is not solved, the darkness will invade and devour everything. The crystals have been our protection for the longest time, longer than anybody can remember, but now they are failing. The Crystal of Wind, which you found, is the nearest of the crystals. Legend says that the crystals, in times of dire need, choose four Warriors of Light to protect the balance and the world. I believe that Chris, and you three are the warriors, for whatever reason. You must journey across the land and find the other crystals. Obtain their powers, and prepare to fight for your lives, and the lives of everybody. This is no doubt a tall order, but you are our only hope."

We stood there in awe at the task now put before us. We'd gone from trying to raise the best monster there is to being a dying world's last hope... quite a promotion.
    "Come, it's time to go." Chris snapped us out of our wonder and left the room in a hurry. We followed behind and he led us in front of three buildings.

"Chris, where are we going?"
    "Master magician." Chris led us into the building on the left.

We walked in and the scent of incense was strong enough to knock us out. A woman sat scribing a magic circle on the ground, complete with strange runes. She didn't look up when she spoke.
    "Chris... what brings you here?"
    "These two. They've been chosen by the Crystal, but can't fight to save their lives. I figured that if the Crystal chose them, their talents must lie elsewhere, so I would bring them to you." The woman looked up from her circle and studied Holly and me.
    "A wise choice. Their powers lie not in swords and brute force, but in the mystical, magical powers." The woman rose from her circle and walked over to us. She said a few words in a strange language I couldn't understand and placed a hand on both Holly's forehead and mine. He hands glowed momentarily, and I could feel a short surge of power inside of me. She removed her hand and walked over to Doughnut.
    "And this one... his power is martial in nature, but weapons do not suit him. His power lies in his own body and the weapons given to him by it." She took Doughnut's dagger away and walked into a back room. When she returned, she was holding three different changes of clothes. "The clothes you are wearing currently... they do not suit your strengths. Put these on instead, and you will be more powerful than you would be if you remained in your current attire." She handed me a blue robe and yellow hat not unlike what she was wearing, Holly a white robe with red trimming, and Doughnut a set of robes and bindings similar to what a martial artist would wear. "I wish you luck, Warriors of Light. Your new powers should be easy enough to figure out by yourselves, as they are fairly simple." She returned to her circle and we left her to her own devices.

"I have to say, I like my new clothes. Just feels right, for some reason."
    "I know what you mean... it really does feel like these things are helping to boost my powers." We took a few moments to admire our new outfits, but we had a job to get down to.
    "Where are we going now, Chris?"
    "Don't know. Good start might be Kazus, in the south." Great, Chris didn't know where we were supposed to go, and none of the rest of us were familiar with the world. Oh well, guess he's still the best chance we've got.

We left Ur to travel south. We passed through a forest and past a desert on the way.

After resting, of course. We were exhausted already, so leaving without resting would have been idiotic.

And we arrived in Kazus. The town seemed strangely empty, except for one man camping outside in the forest. I approached him.
    "Hello, sir! H-" Unfortunately, the man didn't seem to understand the situation entirely. He jumped to his feet and backed away as fast as they would carry him.
    "G-g-ghost!" He was breathing heavily when he got to the edge of the forest and turned around. He took a few seconds to study us and sighed, walking back to his fire. He sat down and didn't look at us as he spoke. "I-I'm sorry... I thought you were ghosts... the entire town's turned to ghosts, you see... can you help them?"
    "We'll do our best, sir." The man smiled, but kept looking at his fire. He didn't say anything else, so we moved on to the town inn.

"Are these the ghosts? They seem more like the people just became two dimensional outlines..." When we walked into the inn, the ghosts all turned to look at us. There were a few whispers in the crowd, but nobody said anything.
    "We're here to help. Is there anybody who can explain what happened?"
    "I can!" One of the ghosts far in the back stepped forwards to talk to us. "Nice t' meet ya! M' name's Cid from the village o' Canaan. I was trav'llin' on through when an earthquake hit. 'parently there was a guy named Jinn, an' he cursed this town 'fore. Last time 'e did it, 'e was trapped in a Mythril Ring. The earthquake musta broken the seal, and as revenge he turned ev'ryone here inta ghosts! The only way t' undo the curse is t' reseal 'im in another ring! Normally that wouldn't be a problem, wit' the Mythril mine in town and all, but we're all ghosts! The princess at Sassoon Castle got a ring recently, so if you go there she might be able to help! Mah airship is waiting out in the desert, so go and fly that beaut over to the castle. Don't worry none about flying it, it's simple 'nough!"
    "Thanks, mister..." We left the inn right after he finished. That accent was a bit thick, but we got what he said at least. We headed out into the desert, and we didn't have to go that far to find the ship he was talking about. We climbed in and...

"Alright, I think the wheel is over there... and..."
    "Huh, there's not really much here. I guess it really is pretty simple." The airship had practically no controls, so it was easy enough to fly the thing. Finding the castle was the only hard part, and even that was pretty easy since it was the only castle anywhere around.

We landed just outside and walked onto the castle grounds. We looked around, but the place was pretty deserted...

Until we got attacked by a group of monsters, that is.
    "Did the curse hit here too?"
    "It must've! Why else would there be so few people? And the monsters!"
    "Ash, Holly, get in the back. We'll protect you." Holly and I backed up as Doughnut and Chris moved in front of us. I decided that rather than just sit back I'd try to use my new powers. I focused on it, and a burst of energy shot from my hand, hitting the strange plant thing in the eye. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do anything. Didn't need to, really, because right after that Chris ran up to it and slashed in half with his longsword. Doughnut charged the other one and slammed it in the eyes with a heavy punch. Probably not the best idea, since it had teeth surrounding it.
    "Do!" Doughnut cried out in pain as the monster snapped its mouth shut on his arm. He slammed at the thing with his free arm, but it didn't let go until Chris cut off the thing's head. We ran up to Doughnut as the mouth dropped off his arm.
    "Doughnut, are you okay?" I don't know why I asked, because his arm was bleeding so profusely that he obviously wasn't ok.
    "Oh, Doughnut... hold still..." Holly closed her eyes and seemed to be concentrating as she held Doughnut's arm in her hands. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, but he listened to Holly and didn't move. Holly's hands started glowing, and the glow spread to Doughnut's arm. The bite marks faded away and the blood fell away. When she opened her eyes she squealed in glee. "I did it! How does it feel, Doughnut?"
    "Do!" Doughnut smiled and hugged Holly, obviously feeling better.
    "Wha-how did you do that?"
    "Oh, that's the power I got!" I just stared at her; how did she know what it would do? "...What, you don't know what your power is?" I shook my head slowly, and holly laughed nervously. "Oh, sorry Ash. Guess we'll have to figure yours out through trial and error!"
    We moved on, entering the castle itself instead of standing around in the grounds.

And... more ghosts. Nobody stopped to talk to us as we moved onwards and upwards, eventually finding our way to the throne room.

"I know what you are here for, but my daughter had the ring, and Jinn has kidnapped her! Both Jinn and the princess are up north in the Cave of the Seal. If you have any hopes of defeating Jinn, you must also rescue my daughter!"
    "Of course, your highness. We will do our best."
    "Oh, thank you, you mysterious heroes! I must warn you, the cave is full of nasty undead creatures... if any of you are well versed in healing magics, they will be your greatest weapon against them. I wish you luck in your endeavor, for the sake of my daughter, and everybody under this terrible curse."
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-07-11 at 03:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Dear lord, the color of the king's text... @_@

(I guess right at the start there are only these basic classes available, hm? Of course the chick gets stuck with healing duties. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Dear lord, the color of the king's text... @_@
    Fixed, sorry 'bout that.

(I guess right at the start there are only these basic classes available, hm? Of course the chick gets stuck with healing duties. )
    Yup, only basic classes. And hey, people want Ash to go Summoner, and I'd rather not lose the healer when he does that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

of orse she dose, its the law :P

and here i thought the origional final fantisy 3 would be alot diffrent then the one i played, turns out its preity much exactly the same only with worse graphics XD
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post

and here i thought the origional final fantisy 3 would be alot diffrent then the one i played, turns out its preity much exactly the same only with worse graphics XD
    Oh, and remember the Kraken? The boss that was near impossible to beat without near perfect class set ups? Well that boss has a power boost now, and you have to have perfect class set ups to beat him.

FF3 for the NES was fun.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Dood. You should totally make him finally embrace the Insanity! Embrace it!

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post

Worse?

Those are NES graphics, friend. The graphics games were meant to have.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default Resealing Jinn, Breaking the Curse

With our next mission in front of us, we prepared to travel to the Cave of the Seal. To better arm us, the King told us where in the castle we could find a bow and some Holy arrows, especially good at taking down the undead. I had never been particularly good with a bow before, but the Kind assured me that the arrows would fly true even without any skill. Since Holly had her magic, and Doughnut and Chris were good fighters, I took the bow and arrow. We got back in the airship and flew off to the cave.

We landed just outside and prepared ourselves. We weren't sure how many undead would be in the cave, or how tough they were, so we had prepared for a long and difficult journey.

We stepped inside and the smell of death assaulted our senses. The cave was nearly silent, aside from distant noises too quiet to make out. We went ahead cautiously. We met no resistance for some time, but soon enough we were approached by three humanoid figures wrapped in bandages.

"Mummies. Be careful, or you'll be poisoned." Holy and I backed up behind Doughnut and Chris again, and they took up offensive positions. I thought it might be the time to try my power again. One more time I gathered up a blast of energy and launched it at one of the mummies. It hit square on, and the mummy collapsed.
    Holly took the opportunity to use her own power. She gathered a ball of her healing energy and launched it at a second mummy. When it hit, the mummy all but disappeared, leaving behind only a pile of dust and bandages in its place.
    The last mummy was no trouble. Doughnut ran up to it and slammed it in the gut with the headbutt that had brought us victory so many times in his world. It didn't seem to be phased other than being throw off balance, but that was all that was needed. Chris took the opening to decapitate the undead beast.
    We all walked up to the mummy that I had downed at looked at it. It was snoring.
    "...A sleep spell?"
    "I have the strangest feeling that we should be questioning how mummies snore, but I don't want to push our luck." Chris made short work of the mummy and we moved on. As we got deeper into the cave it only reeked more of death. We were approached by more undead including skeletal warriors, but we made short work of them all. The king was right about the arrows, because they almost never missed their mark.

Eventually, we came across another human in the cave. We had our defenses ready just in case it was another undead, but thankfully it wasn't.
    "W-who are you?" She asked, staring at our weapons.
    "We're the Warriors of Light, come to find Princess Sara and reseal Jinn in the mythril ring."
    "Oh really? What luck, as I am Princess Sara! I came to reseal Jinn myself, because the ring had protected only myself from the curse, but I was forced to stop here because of the monsters ahead."
    "It's a good thing we found you, then! Who knows what would have happened if the monsters had gotten you?"
    "But wait... your father said Jinn kidnapped you?" Sara sighed.
    "Did he really? Father has no trust in me..." I decided to change the subject at that point, because Sara seemed a bit saddened by her father.
    "I think we should get going. The sooner we can break the curse the better, and you're our only hope, Sara."
    "You're right, let's advance." Sara seemed a lot happier after that, even with the less than cheery surroundings and occasional attacks by undead. Sara wasn't much of a fighter, but she helped to heal any wounds after the battles.

"I... think we've found Jinn. If anything happens, use these... they should stun him so I can use the ring properly." Sara handed me two small blue orbs. They were freezing cold. I just nodded and put them in my robe.
    "Right... is everybody ready? Hopefully we can just go in and reseal him without any problem, but be ready to protect Sara." Everybody nodded and Sara went ahead to confront Jinn.
    "Jinn! You dare to break out and curse my people again?"
    "Oh, Princess... it is nothing personal, I simply want to control the world. I'm sure you understand that I can't allow you to reseal me... and I can't allow you to live." From our position we saw Jinn gather two orbs of fire in his hand. Sara backed away in fear. "A shame it had to be this way. But not really. Die!" At this point we rushed out to protect Sara.
    "Not so fast, Jinn! Princess Sara isn't alone, you see!" Jinn seemed surprised to see us. Surprised enough that his fire dispersed. Holly helped Sara to her feet and she stepped to the forefront again.
    "You can't win, Jinn! I shall reseal you in this ring!" Sara presented the ring strongly and it began to glow, but Jinn only laughed.

"That silly thing won't work on me! You see... I've allied myself with the Darkness!" Jinn again summoned fire, and threw one of the orbs at us. I tackled the Princess out of the way as the rest of the group drew their weapons and got in front of us. "You fools dare to oppose me? Then you must die!"
    "Not in your wildest dreams, Jinn!"

Boss Battle - Jinn

Jinn fell to the floor gasping for breath and grasping at various wounds over his body. "N-no... I refuse to believe it..."
    "Believe it."
    "You've lost, Jinn. You'll never get another chance to enact your evil plans! Sara, the ring!" Sara stepped forward again, brandishing the ring. She spoke some words in a language I didn't understand and the ring began to glow again, stronger than before.
    "I swear I shall get my revenge on you! And even if I don't... I'm not the only one who has allied with the Darkness... Your efforts are futile, and I laugh to think that you could even try." The light from the ring grew stronger and stronger until everything was blocked out. When it faded, Jinn was gone, and Sara sighed in relief.
    "Thank you, Warriors of Light... There is still one thing to do, though. I will use the power of the ring to transport us back to the castle..." The ring glowed again, and this time when the light faded we were in an ornamental room with a pool of glimmering water in it.

"I'll throw the ring into this pool of holy water. It should prevent him from ever escaping again, for as long as our nation stands at least." Without another word on the matter she hurled the ring into the pool of water. She turned around and walked towards the staircase, but turned around. "Thank you, Warriors of Light... if not for you, I doubt the curse would ever have been broken..." She looked at us all, slowly examining us. "I'm sure that you will be able to fulfill your job well... thank you again." She turned and walked up the staircase. I can't tell you when it started, but I noticed that she was trying to hide a blush as she turned around. We followed her up the stairs, but parted ways when she left for her room to go see the King.

"Ah, Warriors of Light! I see you have returned, and as you can tell by my much more regal voice we have all regained our normal forms! I cannot thank you enough, so I hope this token of my appreciation can suffice!" One of the servants brought us a canoe and placed it on the ground in front of us.
    "A... canoe?" I know you're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, but we had an airship. How was a canoe supposed to help?
    "Indeed! It is infused with magic that will allow it to shrink into a much more manageable size! I hope it comes in handy, because you never know when you're going to need a way to cross a river!" The King chuckled, as did the servants. We just looked at each other and bowed to excuse ourselves. We took the canoe anyway, because it just might come in handy.
    "Oh, and Ash? You have much more power than it seems. Don't worry if your spells seem worthless right now, because eventually they will grow to be invaluable." He was kind of right about my powers being useless. The sleep spell seemed to be downright useless and only worked about twice during our many battles so far. We left after that and flew back to Kazus and Cid approached us.

"I'm sure you're tired, but I was hopin' you could fly me back to my hometown? I'll wait for ya'll to rest o' course, and I'll e'en give yous the airship as thanks!" We agreed to take Cid back to his home and went to the inn to rest. All the way there we were greeted with thanks. The townspeople gave Chris shiny new equipment and allowed us to stay in their nicest rooms for free. It was nice, being heroes. I'd already dealt with fame, but this was different... it felt better.
    I felt like I could get used to it, even with the life-risking on a daily basis.

27. - Top - End - #27

I shouldn't be surprised at all that Ash ended up with a bow. Shooting an arrow really isn't much different from throwing a pokeball. .....In theory anyway.

Speaking of which... I was kinda disappointed the words "SouthWind! Go!" didn't come up in the video.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised at all that Ash ended up with a bow. Shooting an arrow really isn't much different from throwing a pokeball. .....In theory anyway.
    No. Archery is in all ways different from throwing anything.

29. - Top - End - #29

Default Not Slaying the Dragon

After a peaceful night's rest, we met up with Cid just outside the town and boarded the airship to go to his hometown with him. As we were going to pass through the mountains...

"Oh, this isn't good... it's a good thing the airship's got the super-sturdy Mythril bow! Ya'll go get on the ground and I'll ram the boulder. With any luck, the boulder'll break and it'll be no problem gettin' through!" We decided not to argue with Cid. It seemed stupid but he knew more about the capabilities of the airship than we did. We got out and he took off at full speed towards the boulder.

"Oops. Oh well, Canaan ain't that far from here... I suppose we can just walk and then you can get another airship later." We walked with Cid and eventually we got to his hometown.

"Thanks for the help, all y'all. It means a lot. Why don't you look around the place an' then come an' see me... I'm sure my wife would love to thank you too!" At this he ran off to his house. We explore the city a bit, but there wasn't much exciting going on. With a little bit of asking around we found where Cid lived and went to visit him.

But when we got there...
    "Cid, is everything alright?"
    "Ohh.... no it isn't, lad... when I was gone, my dear wife fell ill..."
    *cough cough*
    "I'm really worried... I think the only thing that could cure her at this point is an elixer, and those are supposed to be really hard to find! But... rumor is tha' some cooky wizard came by a while ago and hid one somewhere! It ain't too much to ask of you to see if ya'll could find it, is it?"
    "Of course not, Cid! We'll do our best to find the elixer!"
    "Indeed."
    "Thank ya'll so much! People say the wizard liked hangin' out 'round the water, so if I were gonna look that's where I'd do it." We left Cid to try and find the elixer. We looked over the entire town and couldn't find it, until...

"Man, I don't think that elixer is anywhere..."
    "Wait. Something on that island." Everybody looked at the small island Chris was talking about and... he was right! There was a small bottle over there, and since we'd already looked everywhere else, it had to be there! We looked for a way to get over there (the cliff was too high to get back up if we jumped down into the water) and eventually, at the northernmost corner of the city we found an easy access point.

And we had to jump down a waterfall. Ouch. Anyway, we managed to get to the island, and it was indeed an elixer! We ran back up to Cid's house to give it to him.

"That's twice now that you've helped my husband, isn't it? I know it's not much, but please take this as thanks." She went in a back room and came back with a beautiful, well-made bow, which she gave to me. "And you absolutely must stay for lunch!" The lunch she made was absolutely delicious. We stayed a bit to talk, but we had to leave eventually to find some lead for the next step in our adventure. We looked around the city but found nothing. Just before nightfall we went to the inn to make sure we had a room and...

"Y-you had to... *sob* go to the mountain... w-where they say... *sob* a dragon is!"
    "Excuse me ma'am, are you okay?"
    "W-wha? N-n-no... I'm not... my beloved Desh ran off into the mountains... *sob* I don't know if he'll ever be back!" Looking at the sad woman, lying there in bed, paralyzed with grief, I couldn't help but feel sorry. I think Holly felt the same.
    "Don't worry, we'll go find him. We promise we'll bring him back perfectly fine!"
    "R-really? Oh, thank you! Thank you all!" With our next mission ready, we set off for the mountains just south of town.

As we approached, a dragon flew overhead, heading up to the peak.
    "T-that dragon was pretty big..."
    "Yeah, but we can't back down now... right guys?" I think we were all feeling a bit apprehensive after seeing that dragon, but we moved on anyway.

The way up to the peak was strangely well-kept. We considered it a blessing as we moved on.

But of course, as seems to be the law in this world, we were attacked by a large group of monsters. 3 strange, flaming, amphibious creatures and two large birds with vicious talons. Doughnut ran up to one of the flaming things and punched it right in the face. It didn't move again after that. One of the birds was occupying itself with Chris, who was doing everything he could to block its claws and talons while still going on the offensive.
    I figured my wooden arrows wouldn't do much against the flaming enemies, and my lack of skill would keep me from hitting the birds, so I tried my magic again. I focused on my powers, searching for something new, rather than the mildly useless Sleep spell. I flicked my wrist and a burst of icy wind shot from my hand. When I looked up, both of the grounded creatures had been encased in a block of ice, and their fire put out.
    "Woah! That's quite a bit more useful than Sleep!" I looked over to Holly to see what she was doing to find that she was concentrating on her own spell. For a brief moment I wondered if it would be as awesome as my new spell, but I then realized how ridiculous that was, since her last spell was healing.
    But then she threw a small orb of energy up into the air. It soared up to the level of the second bird, and exploded in a swirling maelstrom of wind, knocking the bird out of the air. It fell right into the first bird which had backed up slightly to get a better angle at Chris, and they both crashed to the ground with a sickening sound.
    "Wh-"
    "A wind spell," Holly smirked, before I could even finish my question.
    "Right..." We moved on, going further upwards. Eventually, a shadow passed over us. Next thing we knew...

...we were in a giant nest on the top of the mountain.
    "...guys, I think we're about to be baby dragon chow..." I looked around and saw tons of dragon eggs, in various stages of hatching. It didn't look good, but at least the parents weren't here.
    "Hey, did the dragon get you guys too?" We turned around to look at the other edge of the nest, and we saw there a man.

"That kinda sucks, because there's no way we could fight that thing off... Oh, I'm Desh, by the way."
    "Desh? We met a woman back in town who was crying over you leaving for her back in town!"
    "Really? Oops... but I had to come up here! I have amnesia, and all I can remember was my name and that I had to do... something... and if that's the only other thing I could remember, it must've been important!"
    "I guess that makes sense, but sti-"
    "Look! The dragon's back!" We looked up at the sky and descending slowly, as if it was mocking us, was the dragon.

"There's no way we could win this fight! We've got to run!"
    "Where? There's nowhere to run!"
    "We... uh... we've got to jump!"
    "Jump? We'd never survive that kind of jump!"
    "You've got to trust me! We have to jump!" Without even waiting for further discussion, Desh ran towards the edge and vaulted himself over it, falling. We looked up at the dragon and realized he was right; we couldn't win. I shrugged and ran after him.
    "Geronimoooooooooooooooooooo..."

----

"Uh.... where are we?"
    "Where are you? You're in the Forest of Healing of course! Where weary travelers can stop and rest, and regain their composure before continuing or returning home!"
    "Is that why you're here, midget?"
    "Gnome, sir, and no! I came from the Gnome town to the south. I'm here to get away from all the drama and all the 'OMG did you hear what Brittney said' and the 'Jimmy said Sally said she heard from her cousin's dog that Beth is cheating on you' an-"
    "Alright, we get it..."
    "Sorry... it just gets so annoying at times. But yeah, Gnome-"
    "Midget!"
    "-shut up. Gnome town. You can only enter if you're small like me! But lucky you, I think th-"
    "I think I have a spell for that!"
    "...really?"
    "Sorry Ash, guess I'm just more in tune with my magic than you are!"

----

Alright guys, this is the fourth update. Anybody have an comments or criticism? Any problems with the new format? I'll tell you, it's a bitch to write, especially since I'm not the best writer. I was a bit worried about heading to this more text-heavy format, but I think it's coming alright so far. But maybe some of you have different opinions?

Oh, fun fact: Bahamut was doing all of 1 damage to Doughnut. That fight could have dragged on forever if I hadn't realized you were supposed to run.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-07-18 at 06:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Default Midgets and Rats

"Alright guys, I haven't tried this spell yet, so I'm not sure exactly what it will do, but you shouldn't worry! I've got a good enough idea!"
    "Holly, I have to say that that isn't very comforting..."
    "Don't worry, Desh. If Holly wasn't sure that nothing bad would happen, she wouldn't be doing this. Right, Holly?" Holly smiled.
    "Right!" Desh shrugged.
    "If you say so..." Ignoring Desh, Holly closed her eyes in concentration. She cupped her hands together and a green glowing light filled them. She threw it up into the air and it showered down on us, covering us all. The glow made it a bit hard to see, but I could just barely make out the silhouettes of everybody else. I didn't notice any changed happening, but when the glow suddenly faded...

"Well, I guess I had no reason not to trust you, then." I don't even know how small we were. If I had to guess I'd say we were 2 feet tall.
    "Well, the spell certainly worked! I just hope it isn't too tough to get to the village now!" Luckily for us, the village wasn't too far away. Of course, at this size, it took quite a bit longer to get there, but it wasn't too bad.

We entered the village and looked around. Everyone was taller than us. I thought it was a bit funny that the gnomes were taller than us now, but Desh just seemed annoyed.
    "I can't believe we're smaller than the midgets! This sucks." The gnomes could tell we were outsiders, obviously. We were smaller than them, we looked human, and we didn't have their stupid fashion sense. Which is saying something since we were in these robes and stuff. We looked around and listened to the gossip (and boy there was a lot of it! The gnomes were worse than the preps from Cerulean!), but the only really notable thing we heard was about the village doctor.

"If he doesn't cure himself, then he won't be able to help any of us! We'll all die!"
    "Don't worry, I'm a healer. I should be able to help him!"
    "Oh thank you, kind lady!" We said our farewells to the gnome that informed us of the doctor's illness for his house. As we were leaving, though, we heard him mutter under his breath, "Probably got it from that girl he was with last week..." As soon as we were out of earshot, Desh turned back to me.
    "I hope we don't have to stay here that long. The gossip is really annoying." I nodded in agreement with him, it was pretty annoying. We took the short walk to the doctor's house and knocked on the door. We were greeted moments later with a frail looking gnome, but the moment he saw us he ushered us in and perked right up.
    "Oh, it's you! I thought you were another one of those annoying gnomes!" He sighed in relief. "No need to explain who you are, I heard about you Warriors of Light." He'd heard of us? We were all a bit surprised at that.
    "How?" The doctor just looked at us incredulously.
    "Did you HEAR the gossip? Word travels quickly here. Why I pretended to be sick, honestly. It's gotten so annoying..." He led us to a far wall in his home and pulled a book his bookshelf. The wall slid to the side revealing a deep passage.
    "Forgive me for asking, but why are you showing us this?"
    "Because this is where you've got to go next. I'm not sure how I know, but I do. This is the path you have to take next." He waited for a moment before continuing, "Just kidding, this is just the way through the mountains. I imagine you'd like to get home, yes?" We thanked the doctor and moved through the passage.

"This is kinda weird. It's like there's nothing keeping us from falling."
    "Don't say that! Say stuff like that and the path might disappear!" But of course, it didn't. It led to a small room with a staircase going down.

Which itself led to a cave. Getting through was fairly easy.

Except for one group of monsters, although they didn't prove much trouble either. Although, since they were so big and us so small, Chris and Doughnut ended up not doing much. But hey, I got a new spell out of it! A cool ice spell!

It wasn't long before we got through the main part of the cave, and came to a small inhabited area full of self-proclaimed Vikings. We rested there, and one of them told us of their problems.

"Not no more, I suppose. We had plenty o' ships, but just after the earthquake, a sea serpent woke up and trashed all but one! Now everybody's afraid to go sailing, and we've only got one ship! I think it's sad, but now there's nothing left to do but sit around and drink away our sorrows..."
    "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Is there anyway we could help?"
    "I dunno, lassy... I guess you could go see the leader."

"I mean, ain't much we can do anyway... getting rid oof that serpent'd be enough."
    "Alright then, we'll do that!"
    "Just be warned, that's a mighty serpent! I doubt anybody could beat it in a fight!"
    "Well, that's a problem..."
    "Maybe there's something up at the temple. The serpent used to sleep up at the temple, but he came out after the earthquake. It's possible that the earthquake caused it."
    "That earthquake is causing a lot of problems. It can't be coincidence."
    "It's probably a side effect of the darkness... we need to hurry up and fulfill our destiny. Where's the temple?"
    "Up north, along the coast. I wish you luck on your journey." We said our thanks and moved onwards, up to the temple.

Inside, there wasn't much. The only thing unusual there was a large statue of a serpent with a missing eye.
    "There's a hole."
    "What?"
    "A hole. Where the missing eye is." I looked closer.
    "Chris is right, there's a whole tunnel going back! I think if we were smaller we could fit, but..."
    "Oh, I'll just cast the spell again!"
    "You can do that?"
    "Well, I don't know about normally, but the spell wore off a while ago." Long story short, Holly shrank us again and we climbed up the statue and into the path behind the missing eye. It's a good thing that the statue was such a large statue, or else we might not have fit.

We moved on, and there wasn't much until the tunnel came to a dead end. There was the largest rat I've ever seen standing there playing with a deep red gem. And I don't just mean largest because we were small, I mean this thing must have been about the size of a small child. Before we could even say anything, it lunged at us shouting (I'm not even going to ask) about how nobody would ever take its gem.

Boss Battle - Big Rat

With the battle done, we took a few moments to tend to our wounds and went back the way we came.

We replaced the eye in the statue. There was a great shaking and a voice boomed out from around us. "Thank you, mighty heroes. The gem... is my mind. Without it I became a berserk servant of destruction. Thanks to you, I have returned to my normal state. But... the water is dark... it lost the light... please return the light. I return to my deep slumber now, and again, thank you..."

"Guess who took care of the serpent!" The group of vikings all turned to stare at us before letting out a mighty cheer. They gathered around us and thanked us endlessly. They held a huge feast in our honor. It was pretty weird, being the heroes again, but the food was really good. At the feast, the leader officially gave us their last ship. I asked what they'd do without it, but he said that they'd get by somehow. We rested there for a night, with people constantly coming to thank us. In the end we didn't get much sleep.

But eventually the next day came and we had to set sail for our next destination. It's interesting how these ships are so easy to sail.