New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default 4e- Latest Errata

I didn't see a thread for this so... bam!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateJuly2010.pdf

I don't understand the reasoning for some of these changes, particularly the rewrite of Magic Missile. I guess the "omg, Magic Missile can miss? 4e is teh suck!" crowd got their way?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4e- Latest Errata

I thinkthe hybrid wizard|rogue, will be happy with that change....
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The one thing I saw that confuses me is the change in Static Shock's (from the Eberron book) range change. "Melee 5"? So it can reach 5 squares, but still counts as a melee attack for all intents and purposes?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    The one thing I saw that confuses me is the change in Static Shock's (from the Eberron book) range change. "Melee 5"? So it can reach 5 squares, but still counts as a melee attack for all intents and purposes?
    Possibly because '1 Creature in Close Burst 5' is too awkward? I'm not really sure.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I thinkthe hybrid wizard|rogue, will be happy with that change....
    Why? It does pathetic damage and I thought hybrid Rogues could only SA with Rogue powers (or something, I might be wrong)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Magic Missile actually became really abusable. Pump it up with all the White Lotus feats, Take the level 1 daily, get ways of recharging that daily... Eventually make it an an encounter power... Add the cold damage type to it, take the cold feats... You can pump everything into it.

Now it doesn't HIT. It EFFECTS. Most of that stuff is suddenly gone.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-06 at 10:32 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

You can no longer, by RAW, take an ungodly amount of free actions at once. Finally.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Why? It does pathetic damage and I thought hybrid Rogues could only SA with Rogue powers (or something, I might be wrong)
    Because she is of the crew that was sad because MM required an attack roll, and maybe I am wrong but I think the DM houseruled a feat that let her apply SA with all her powers.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Time to stop throwing lv30 minions against that 1st lv wizard...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

You can no longer, by RAW, take an ungodly amount of free actions at once. Finally.
    Alas, by RAW you still can. By RAI certainly not, but things like Ardent Fury and Rending Weapons do not specify what sort of action they are and a savvy player can argue that they are No actions. And there is nothing currently to work against them. I applaud wotc for nerfing TWO and Follow-up Blow (t2 of the offenders that DO specify a free action) but by their own wording the nerf is very unclear and not altogether effective. Also, the errata only stop free action attack stacking and as I pointed out, inconsistently

As to the magic missile nerf, I had a thread floating around a whiles back that averaged over 150 dpr with MM abuse

11. - Top - End - #11

My first instinct was that auto-killing a minion is too powerful, since every once in a while there's been minions that do a hilarious amount of damage because the party just plain can't hit them due to a string of bad rolls. Then I remembered that my party has no wizard and most of a wizard's attacks can take out half a dozen minions at once if they're standing close enough together.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

At least Harmonious Thunder finally got fixed to not do infinite damage. And apparently no more Windrise Port cheese, either.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    My first instinct was that auto-killing a minion is too powerful, since every once in a while there's been minions that do a hilarious amount of damage because the party just plain can't hit them due to a string of bad rolls. Then I remembered that my party has no wizard and most of a wizard's attacks can take out half a dozen minions at once if they're standing close enough together.
    Agreed, wotc saw the chance to nerf an extremely potent striker at-will on a controller whilst 'returning to a 3e classic.' In retrospect this is to be expected as they are cutting down on classes that masquerade as other roles. Thus why avenger AC has been a veritable roller coaster ride

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potion Sale View Post
    Agreed, wotc saw the chance to nerf an extremely potent striker at-will on a controller whilst 'returning to a 3e classic.' In retrospect this is to be expected as they are cutting down on classes that masquerade as other roles. Thus why avenger AC has been a veritable roller coaster ride
    That, and they cannot decide what to do with Avenger.

The Biggest thing for me was the nerf to Lead the Attack. Sure it needed the nerf. A LOT. But, it was nice as a Warlord to have a power there was no question about whether you'd ever retrain it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    That, and they cannot decide what to do with Avenger.

The Biggest thing for me was the nerf to Lead the Attack. Sure it needed the nerf. A LOT. But, it was nice as a Warlord to have a power there was no question about whether you'd ever retrain it.
    I think it was a good choice but pales in comparison to the abomination that is Withering Henge and it remains unerfed

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I think it was a good choice but pales in comparison to the abomination that is Withering Henge and it remains unerfed
    Actually, the version in the Dragon issue was a Stealth Nerf of the version in the original article .

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Actually, the version in the Dragon issue was a Stealth Nerf of the version in the original article .
    O goodness, I can only imagine the degree of tentacle death the original portrayed
    Last edited by Meta; 2010-07-07 at 12:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

*sigh* my rampaging barbarian dies a little inside...

Magic Missile actually became less powerful, not that it was the greatest to begin with. Almost everything (Hunter's Quarry, Warlocks curse, White Lotus feats) require you to hit with an attack, so not even any Versatile Master abuse there. Technically, you can't even add bonuses to damage rolls (wands with the Deadly feature, for instance) since there is no damage roll.

It does make it a pretty decent wand, though. *edit* for classes other than wizard that is. Bards in particular could keep one or two handy for killing minions on the other side of the battlefield.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2010-07-07 at 01:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

What are you talking about? I looked it up in the compendium and it only brings up withering courage, a warlord power. If that's what you're talking about, it's no worse than being blinded by say, prismatic beam.

PS, what was the original power, before the stealth nerf? Did it last til the end of the encounter?
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2010-07-07 at 02:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Time to stop throwing lv30 minions against that 1st lv wizard...
    Well, wizards could one-shot minions right from the start, using Cloud of Daggers. In my experience, this is not worth a "power slot"; heck, it's not even worth carrying a Master Wand for. Whenever minions need killing (and sometimes they don't, because they aren't a real threat) a massive area effect does the trick better.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Was dealing your intelligence modifier as damage to anyone adjacent to you when you teleported multiple times per round really that broken?
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-07-07 at 05:21 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Was dealing your intelligence modifier as damage to anyone adjacent to you when you teleported multiple times per round really that broken?
    Yes, in that it was the leading damage-per-round build by a factor of two or so.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    What are you talking about? I looked it up in the compendium and it only brings up withering courage, a warlord power. If that's what you're talking about, it's no worse than being blinded by say, prismatic beam.

PS, what was the original power, before the stealth nerf? Did it last til the end of the encounter?
    Misspelling. Writhing Henge

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    yep. It stacked with some other abilities and teleports could be broken up into multiple moves. You could end up doing hundreds of damage by jumping around

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This is what happens when a card game company gets their hands on an RPG. At the rate errata is coming out, it is pointless to buy hardback books for this edition.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demonix View Post
    This is what happens when a card game company gets their hands on an RPG. At the rate errata is coming out, it is pointless to buy hardback books for this edition.
    Yes, but it makes their DDI very attractive - which is rather the point.

For 4e, you're either buying books to get a sneak peek at the next splatbook before it goes live on DDI, or you're interested in the fluff, pictures and feel of a physical book. People just interested in having a game with solid rules get to shell out $10 for their group whenever they feel like getting an update.

By bifurcating the market, more people get legitimate access to the system and by constantly issuing errata we get a more playable system than the previous errata-by-splatbook method.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #27

Funny story:

One of my old 3.5 players just starting playing again. Excited to try the new wizard. He says he admits it playes a little different but was still lots of fun and enjoyed controlling the battlefield. He said the only he missed was the old reliable Magic Missile. Fun damage, no attack, never fails.

He'll be excited to hear this!!!
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    For 4e, you're either buying books to get a sneak peek at the next splatbook before it goes live on DDI, or you're interested in the fluff, pictures and feel of a physical book. People just interested in having a game with solid rules get to shell out $10 for their group whenever they feel like getting an update.
    I buy the books because I want something that lasts past WotC's current business model. If I get a craving for some 4e three editions down the road I want to be able to whip out some books instead of trying WotC's site and then checking if I still have my old computer around anywhere.

The wizard in my game is not gonna be happy about the MM nerf. His character was pretty much based on doing stupid damage with it (much to the chagrin of the Avenger). I have a sneaking suspicion he won't even bring up the errata, hoping I somehow missed it.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I, too, prefer DDI over buying all of the splatbooks that come out. The only real downside I find, is that you miss out on some of the sidebars and special rules that come along with the new powers and class features.

Like, the exact rules for a Ranger's beast companion, or some abilities of certain Paragon path powers that say: 'See Sidebar for details'.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I buy the books because I want something that lasts past WotC's current business model. If I get a craving for some 4e three editions down the road I want to be able to whip out some books instead of trying WotC's site and then checking if I still have my old computer around anywhere.
    Well, if you want that, I'd say wait until 4e is discontinued and pick up the books you want at a deep discount. Worked with 3.5, didn't it?

I also suspect that WotC will be releasing "compilation" versions of the Core Books at some point with all the Errata fully integrated. It'll probably be towards the end of this "business model" but heck, that's when you'd want the books in the first place

EDIT:
    @Snowstorm - DDI has that information in their Rules Comprehendium. Of course, you need a live account to access it, but they have to provide some reason to have a persistant account
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-07-07 at 02:45 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad