New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Pathfinder and D&D 3.5

I have heard of Pathfinder and read some of the online open-content material about it. I see that it has some different class options than D&D 3.5.

Could you tell me what the major differences are? Is it just D&D 3.5 with a slightly different mechanics or options?

Does it have a different setting?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Pathfinder and D&D 3.5

Here you go

This was taken from the sticky at the top of the forum - there are many other gems in there worth reading.

(Hence, it being stickied and all )

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The base classes have some different features, Concentration is no longer a skill, spells and monsters have been reworked, and there are various mechanics changes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Pathfinder changes many things, some for the better. I prefer their skill system, but the other changes in general aren't how I would have handled things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Pathfinder changes many things, some for the better. I prefer their skill system, but the other changes in general aren't how I would have handled things.
    The sorcerer and paladin changes are definitely what I would have done, or are at least a big step in the right direction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

They also have their own setting, Golarion, where one person became a god by accident after a heavy drinking night(he's the god of drinking, luck and some other things, along with his dog), the first human civilization only prospered because they were actually backed by psychic sharks, and Gnomes are hated by the universe itself, under constant threat of turning into Michael Jackson.

Also, don't mess with Shalelu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You forgot to mention that said psychic sharks brought a [insert obligatory Samuel L. Jackson remark here] Asteroid on top of the first human empire after those humans turned on the "overlords" (being the said psychic sharks).
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

8. - Top - End - #8

**** yes! The setting was the best thing that PF ever did (apart from paladins)

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfClericGuy

Oooh! In one land there's wreckages of an alleged spelljammer (it wasn't explicitly stated as such, simply a great ship or starship that fell from the Sky) all over the countryside and the largest piece has a capital on top of it.
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

Hell! And I thought my magic-psionic Cold War apocalypse setting was a little convoluted :P