New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

consider the problem delt with
    Last edited by Logician; 2010-07-09 at 03:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Optimization help

Can you be talked out of Pseudodragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My first suggestion would be not to play a spellcaster with Level Adjustment. It's annoying for melee characters, and completely crippling for casters.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGirl

Agree with above.

If you really really really must be a Pseudodragon, you are .... oh my god, you're only level 2. That hurts. Anyway, go for spells that don't become useless at higher levels. Ray of Enfeeblement and Grease are your best friends.

Alternatively, you know what you can do? Play a regular human Sorcerer, take the Improved Familiar feat on level 6, and summon a Pseudodragon Familiar on level 7. This way, you get to control both the Pseudodragon and the full-level sorcerer, isn't it cool?
    Last edited by Lin Bayaseda; 2010-07-09 at 01:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm willing to change it I suppose, but after I brought up the idea (jokingly) the entire party got behind it thinking it was hilarious, but if there is no other option then yes, I guess i didn't realize how bad LA was for casters until I actually started trying to build my spell list.

6. - Top - End - #6

Feat ideas:
    Mindsight

Spell ideas:
    Power Word Pain

Equipment ideas:
    Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell, Lesser.
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Uh, doesn't the Pseudodragon have 2 RHD? Yes it does, so you don't have any class levels at all.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJoe15 View Post
    Uh, doesn't the Pseudodragon have 2 RHD? Yes it does, so you don't have any class levels at all.
    He mentioned the DM is lax, I think he meant the DM waives the RHD (a lot of DMs do).

To reiterate my advice:

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, you know what you can do? Play a regular human Sorcerer, take the Improved Familiar feat on level 6, and summon a Pseudodragon Familiar on level 7. This way, you get to control both the Pseudodragon and the full-level sorcerer, isn't it cool?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Bayaseda View Post
    He mentioned the DM is lax, I think he meant the DM waives the RHD (a lot of DMs do).

To reiterate my advice:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry i missed that, Like i said if i feel like theres no other way for me to be competant as is then i will just change the race. However, as i said earlier, It would definantly be a major killjoy to the rest of the party, and i would much rather avoid it.

And yes, my DM is waiving the RHD.

Thank you for your advice, but the main point of it is that its a psuedodragon Sorcerer, if i remade the char i would just leave out the psuedodragon completely and go with a typical setup.

Also, thanks Prodan, I'll look into those.
    Last edited by Logician; 2010-07-09 at 01:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Another way would be just making up a race of small sized lizards with wings. For example taking the stats for a kobold and add flight 50 ft. I think that would be quite balanced at LA +1 and no racial HD.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

A vanilla Kobold plus the Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings feats (in Races of the Dragon) makes a great small flying Sorcerer lizard.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Another selling point (for humor) was the fact that it was tiny.

Anyway, if the the idea is so unworkable that the only real suggestions I've been givin don't even accept the possibility of going with the original idea i think i'm going to just drop it, its a shame, but oh well. I'm not so attached to it that I'm going to go through some convoluted little setup just to get something similar, I'll just make a human or elf and be done with it. Thank you for your time anyway.
    Last edited by Logician; 2010-07-09 at 01:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Is your group playing with LA buyoff? If so, and it's a long game, you will eventually be able to buy off the +3 LA, but it's going to hurt all the way there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I've never heard of LA buy-off, but we do plan on it being a very long game yes, as i said before the DM is lax and will probably be open to suggested house rules.

Edit: just looked at the LA buyoff system, I'll ask my DM to have it implemented. Thanks. (unless i ditch the idea, which I'll probably do if i cant talk the DM into scewing a few things in my favor with the race and LA)
    Last edited by Logician; 2010-07-09 at 02:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15