New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 3.5 CR Query

All the time playing D&D 3.5, I've considered 1 CR1 Creature = A lvl one encounter suitable for 4 lvl PCs. A friend said that it was actually 4 CR 1 monsters = one encounter suitable for 4 level four PCs. Which of us is correct?
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5 CR Query

A creature of CR X is a suitable encounter for a party of four PCs of level X, draining 25% of their daily resources.

Of course, it never turns out that way, but this is the intention.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    A creature of CR X is a suitable encounter for a party of four PCs of level X, draining 25% of their daily resources.

Of course, it never turns out that way, but this is the intention.
    This. One creature is supposed to be a suitable encounter.

Although 4 CR 1 is a total CR of 4 (due to CR stacking until 2, then +2 per double), so you're actually both right...
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Really, you measure encounter toughness by Encounter Level(EL), not CR. EL is the aggregate difficulty of all factors in an encounter. A CR1 critter is EL1, and a CR2 critter is EL2. 2 CR1 critters is EL3, as a doubling of similar CR creatures increases EL by 2. Other factors, such as favorable conditions, affect EL.

An EL = APL (Average Party Level) encounter should take about 20% of the party's daily resources, be they spells, abilities, HP, etc. An EL = APL +4 encounter is a REALLY tough encounter, which in theory, should have the potential to off one of the characters. Most of the time, you should through EL = APL-1 to APL+3 encounters at the party.

Do note that APL is only averaged for a party of 4. For more, increase the APL by ~1 for each party member present after 4. More actions means more advantage. Thus, a party of 5 level 4 characters would be APL5, and thus an EL5 encounter should consume about 20% of their daily resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks , you've awnsered my question. My friend said 4 lvl 1 = suitable for 4 lvl 1, not 4 lvl 4. Sorry for the mix-up.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.