Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: VIII Will Show Them All!

Well... he was supposed to be the world's best juggler... And one might assume that might include having not just great reflexes but also some added strength to juggle heavy objects =p

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    He tortured the info out of a Jager?

Impressive.
    Indeed. So much so that the Generals are giving him an audience with no other justification.

I, for one, welcome our four armed overlord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Well... he was supposed to be the world's best juggler... And one might assume that might include having not just great reflexes but also some added strength to juggle heavy objects =p
    From, where else, The Secret Blueprints:

11: Boris Vasily Konstantin Andrei Myshkin Dolokhov
    Boris began life with two arms and an eidetic memory. He spent a happy youth as a student librarian in the palace library before he came to the attention of his Duke, an evil genius of the first water who forcibly modified Boris in an attempt at building the ultimate juggler. In addition to the extra arms, he was given enhanced speed, strength and balance.
    Boris has worked with Klaus for many years now, and has been attacked by Things Man Was Not Meant To Know more times than he cares to remember (even though he actually can remember, and if you ask him, the number is 356. Unless you count the time Dr. Migstrom hit him with a radish pie, which he hardly thinks qualifies.) He still hasn’t got used to it, but it’s better than a stupid hat with bells on.
    Or to put it another way, one does not become Kalus' Second in Command without being at least a little badass.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-20 at 12:46 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Or to put it another way, one does not become Kalus' Second in Command without being at least a little badass.
    Well, third in command =p
    But I guess Klaus knows all to well... not only should a ruler be able to protect himself, but sometimes he may just need to quite literally beat some sense into people

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

No, i would say second in command.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, Boris is more ruthless than I expected. I wonder how you make a Jager talk.

OK, more specifically, I wonder how you make a Jager talk AND give you the information you want. And what it takes to make a Jager shut up...

Why are the generals still hanging around Castle Wulfenbach (and poring over a map of Mechanicsburg) if the Jagers are leaving the Baron and going to Agatha instead? Shouldn't they be gone already? Maybe there's more going on here than simple defection.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Why are the generals still hanging around Castle Wulfenbach (and poring over a map of Mechanicsburg) if the Jagers are leaving the Baron and going to Agatha instead?
    They don't yet have incontrovertible proof she's the Heterodyne heir, do they? When der Kestle wakes up and starts fighting them off, then's when they might decide to rejoin the old cause and leave the Baron in the lurch--although even a Jager is probably going to realise that a teed-off Baron Wulfenbach is not necessarily an enemy you want for long! (We don't even know what proportion of Wulfenbach's forces are Jagers--he seems to have plenty of conventional troops available).

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Three things come to mind with the new strip:

1) The Generals are not ON the Castle any more. They're on one of the Castle's significantly faster support vessels. This is why they're surprised Boris found them, as it wasn't as simple as going down to their quarters and rapping on the door - they were hidden on one ship in a swarm busily going about their business, and even if Boris had recognized what they'd do, he shouldn't have been able to locate them before they did it. Yes, friends, fore-warned was our four armed.

2) I've been wondering for a while if/when the Generals would act in Agatha's behalf, which I now realize was a really stupid expectation. They are already acting, but as generals: plotting and planning and logistics and the like. I know that sounds somewhat contrary to Jaeger thought, but I would assume the Generals would point out that a little bit of foresight can allow the Jaegers to have a lot more fun.

3) Yes. Boris intimidated or tortured a Jaeger for the location of his superior officer. Jaegers, I might add, that regard being dismembered by Von Pinn to be tantamount to foreplay. This just goes to remind us that, in order to be higher in the chain of command than Jaegers, you have to be ten kinds of badass. At least.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2010-08-20 at 10:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

Yes, friends, fore-warned was our four armed.
    THAT...was wonderfully awful.
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They don't yet have incontrovertible proof she's the Heterodyne heir, do they?
    Incontrovertible proof, no, but they don't need it. All three of them are certain, they have independent confirmation from Jenka, and the rest of the Jagers are probably more loyal to the generals than Klaus and will follow their orders whether or not they're personally convinced that Agatha's a Heterodyne.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, third in command =p
    No, he is Klaus' Second. It's implied in this strip and outright confirmed in the SB. I just didn't quote that bit.

If you were thinking about Gil, he's the Heir, which is slightly different (think the Shojo/Miko/Hinjo dynamic where Miko outranked Hinjo despite Hinjo being the heir). Now as a practical matter, if Gil told Boris to do something, he'd probably do it. But if Boris felt he had a good enough to disagree with Gil... Well, it'd be an interesting devlopment, wouldn't it?

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #462
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Incontrovertible proof, no, but they don't need it. All three of them are certain, they have independent confirmation from Jenka
    The linked strip would argue the opposite--they're not sure if she's a forgotten by-blow or second cousin or something; presumably someone of that distant a relation may not be sufficient to command their loyalty, or they would have acted back then, wouldn't they?

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Why are the generals still hanging around Castle Wulfenbach (and poring over a map of Mechanicsburg) if the Jagers are leaving the Baron and going to Agatha instead? Shouldn't they be gone already? Maybe there's more going on here than simple defection.
    They aren't even supposed to be near Castle Wulfenbach at all. All of the Jägers are supposed to be up north because Klaus for some reason that I cannot possibly fathom has concerns about the Jägers loyalty.

And while the comic doesn't explicitly state (I think) that the Generals went with their fellow Jägers, I think it is a reasonable presumptiion to make.

EDIT: As to why they are in the Castle Fleet as opposed to hiding out in some barn somewhere? Well one place is as good as any when you are plotting. Might as well be a (supposedly) secret place that you set up in familiar territory. Also, who knows, mabe they would want to try to recruit people from within the Baron's ranks to their cause. And, you must admit, it's a lot easier to keep an eye on the Baron's plans and troop movements when you are hiding right in the middle of them.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-20 at 12:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground

EDIT: As to why they are in the Castle Fleet as opposed to hiding out in some barn somewhere? Well one place is as good as any when you are plotting. Might as well be a (supposedly) secret place that you set up in familiar territory. Also, who knows, mabe they would want to try to recruit people from within the Baron's ranks to their cause. And, you must admit, it's a lot easier to keep an eye on the Baron's plans and troop movements when you are hiding right in the middle of them.
    It's also mobile; when you're thinking of breaking loyalty with the Baron mobility should probably be a top priority. "Some barn somewhere" is far too likely to become "a small smoking crater somewhere" once the Baron learns of your intentions. I wonder what message that unlucky Jager had to deliver?
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2010-08-20 at 12:18 PM.
    "First lesson. Every princess needs a battle axe." - Zeetha

"I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices." - Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

OK, after consideration brought on by the comments of others, I see that the Generals still being in the neighborhood of Castle Wulfenbach ISN'T that odd a thing (thanks, all), especially since C.W. is also still probably still near Mechanicsburg, just out of the reach of the Torchmen. I would also assume that, while Klaus sent the Jager troops to the edges of his empire, he kept the generals near both to be able to give orders to them AND to keep an eye on them. And thinking as to why they haven't left yet: While I'm sure they regard Agatha as the Real Deal ('by-blow' is an archaic description of an illegitimate child; with what we know of the Heterodynes, illegitimate might be just as good as legitimate. And a second cousin would STILL be something of a Heterodyne..), the Doom Bell hasn't rung, they don't know if Agatha is still alive in der Kestel, and they don't know what her plans are. She may be like her father and uncle, and not be a Jager fan (of course WE know she's as much in love with the Jagers as the Jagers are with her, but the Generals may not). If Boris is smart he might make those points to keep the Jagers in the Baron's service, and use them to put down all the rebellions flaring up all over the Empire, until Agatha calls for them.

Or he may have a phalanx of shock troops waiting just out of sight to arrest the Generals if they refuse.

Maybe both.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The linked strip would argue the opposite--they're not sure if she's a forgotten by-blow or second cousin or something; presumably someone of that distant a relation may not be sufficient to command their loyalty, or they would have acted back then, wouldn't they?
    Regardless, she still has Heterodyne blood. Even if she's not a legitimate heir, the Jagers will obey her anyway, seeing as they're so desperate for a Heterodyne.

And the fact that they didn't act then means nothing. As Jenka said it's been a long time. The generals are no doubt well aware that Klaus will not be entirely accepting of a new Heterodyne, and powerful enough to wipe them out should they end up on the wrong side of a conflict. That's why, as another poster pointed out, they're hiding out on a support ship planning strategy rather than gathering an army and going on a rampage of conquest.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    That's why, as another poster pointed out, they're hiding out on a support ship planning strategy rather than gathering an army and going on a rampage of conquest.
    To be fair, they are Jaegers - they could be doing both
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Even then, they probably don't want to betray the Baron. (Well, betray him more than needed anyway. Plotting a defection to someone your boss sees as a threat is a betrayal after all.) He was a friend of the Heterodyne boys, and they turned to him for help, and he did. Jägermonsters have an exaggerated "proud warrior guy" attitude, and despite their love of mindless violence, they are loyal.

The issue for them is probably therefore to gather all the Jäger troops to Mechanicsburg sneakily, while avoiding confrontation with other Wulfenbach troops while doing so. And that requires real tactical genius when you're talking about the Jägers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just got book 9 with the sketch. I requested an image of Chump, and now I share it with you all:

Spoiler
    Show
    Look familiar?

"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight ... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin' paid, but ... eating people alive? Where's that get fun?" - Jayne

20. - Top - End - #470

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Just got book 9 with the sketch. I requested an image of Chump, and now I share it with you all:

Spoiler
    Show
    Look familiar?

I think he does
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks a lot like Klaus. so Zeetha and Gilgamesh are siblings, or at least half-siblings.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Look familiar?

Spoiler
    Show

Seems kinda tactless for them to do something like that... but then again, they may well aware of what the internet talks about and thus new it wasn't THAT big of a secret anymore

22. - Top - End - #472

Or they could have been planning to reveal it soon* anyways. So they didn't think it was right to refuse misters datalaughing his request.

*like planing to do it right after the Castle arc which unfortunately just keeps going.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Or, possibly, they're toying with us. They know the theories and are messing around for their own amusement.

This being said, it's certainly interesting evidence. Whether or not we can trust it is another story.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    *like planing to do it right after the Castle arc which unfortunately just keeps going.
    heh... ya ever since Klaus said he would explain EVERYTHING to Gil way back at the beginning of this arc, i've been waiting for that

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, I requested a sketch of Klaus' Wife, and I got
    Spoiler
    Show
    a picture of the Queen of Skifander, who can be seen in the second panel of this strip. I might upload it later if I get the chance.

So, really, all you had to do was ask them.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-21 at 12:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

So, really, all you had to do was ask them.
    I'm only a little surprised at the reveal - and I really like their picture of Chump
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Yessss. It sure is nice to both meet the Jaegergenerals again and move outside Castle Heterodyne.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know, i think i might have been most interested in seeing a drawing of the queen of England

29. - Top - End - #479
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

But if Chump = Klaus, where are his construct-assembly scars that we see all over him in the hospital bed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Y'know, i think i might have been most interested in seeing a drawing of the queen of England
    (thoughtful frown) We've seen a picture of Her Undying Majesty before, though, haven't we?

(goes to look)

Haw, got it! DataLaughing got a sketch from the Foglios of her!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...hing_albia.jpg

I've got to say, she doesn't look like any Queen of England I've ever seen before...

RE the Chump sketch: I note the sword apparently shares the trait with Zeetha's headpiece of having expressions, although the sword doesn't mirror that of its owner like the headpiece does. I also assume the Foglios AREN'T pulling a fast one, and the sword's name is NOT Chump.