New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: VIII Will Show Them All!

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I wonder what would happen if Her Undying Majesty DID take an interest? And if she did so the last time the Other poked her head out?
    Well you could just read up on the othar twitter...
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't remember if it went into detail about england, but what we do know is that future of Europa was indeed bleak... when it comes down to it, Wooster in a way actually may have contributed to the destruction; informing the generals may have lead to the jagers saving the castle from destruction and thereby saving the lives of both Agatha(lucrezia) and Zola; In othar's future, one of them may have taken advantage of the slaver infested baron... in short, the destruction of der ketsle could have been all that was needed to save europe... we can only hope though that othar's interference will be able to prevent that bleak future

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Gotta say, I love wooster :)

Question I've got now, though, is: how powerful is Britain exactly in the GG universe? The only times I can recall it being mentioned before are Wooster offering the circus asylum and Gil threatening to blow the whole place up . I don't really follow the twitters, so don't know if anything is in there, but would England getting involved really make a difference when the Other comes back in force? Or is her undying majesty taking an interest just going to be a minor roadblock?
    Well, so far we know it's powerful but we do not know if that just defensive of offensive... At the very least there is enough to say that england has the power to keep klaus from forcing his way in. The real question left though is if england has the power to really wage a war against the Wulfenbach empire and have a rela chance of winning... it does seem likely as Dr.Sun seemed pretty worried about Gil threatening to boil england

2. - Top - End - #602
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Woo, it WAS Wooster! And being very stylish (and prepared; he had copies of the Baron's orders right at hand to give to the generals) in the process. My flesh to futility ratio with regard predictions is no longer approaching infinity!

I assume, if the generals take exception to this, Boris will just leap out the window, grab the rope, and slide down after Wooster. Or maybe climb up so they can't cut the rope above him...

I wonder what would happen if Her Undying Majesty DID take an interest? And if she did so the last time the Other poked her head out?
    She took at least enough interest that Lu considers Albia and Britain her safe fox hole to duck into to escape Klaus. Which honestly adds a really nasty level to this: it's possible Albia actually promoted the entire line of actions and connections that led to Lu becoming "The Other" we all know and love.

It is equally possible that Albia would end up in a turf war with anything that proved to have the danger potential of The Other. But, still, I just had this nightmare vision of Albia greeting a victorious Lu with an ooooozing, "Greetings, my dear sister in wasps. So good to know you ultimately succeeded in all our plans...."

Which just puts the most evil spin on Wooster's last comment, as it would indicate he knew perfectly well that if Agatha WAS the other, Albia would be thrilled because it's all part of her Undying Schemes.
    Last edited by Stalkingheron; 2010-08-27 at 10:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

My guess is that Britain is almost entirely defensive. They don't care what happens in Europa as a whole, so long as whoever's in power there doesn't try to cross the Channel. From that point of view, destabilising Wulfenbach's empire (which seems to be one of the largest, most stable power blocs in the continent for quite a while) is absolutely in Albia's interests, because it makes it less likely anyone will want to invade.

Of course, if the Other took over the whole of Europa then that plan might spectacularly backfire, but that's a future threat. Klaus is a threat that is clear and present, and given the bad blood between him and Albia, I'm sure she's more than happy to see him greatly weakened.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkingheron View Post
    She took at least enough interest that Lu considers Albia and Britain her safe fox hole to duck into to escape Klaus. Which honestly adds a really nasty level to this: it's possible Albia actually promoted the entire line of actions and connections that led to Lu becoming "The Other" we all know and love.
    Well, between defying Albia being literally unthinkable and how Wooster would blow his cover casually expressing faith in British publishers, I think it's less a matter of Albia being a sympathetic spirit and more her using similar tools. And thus, tools Lu thinks she can reverse to her own use. Of course, there's always the question of whether she's deluding herself...

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Well, between defying Albia being literally unthinkable and how Wooster would blow his cover casually expressing faith in British publishers, I think it's less a matter of Albia being a sympathetic spirit and more her using similar tools. And thus, tools Lu thinks she can reverse to her own use. Of course, there's always the question of whether she's deluding herself...
    That's not really compromising his cover. Gil knew he was British, but he wasn't aware that Gil knew he was also a spy.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Orc in the Playground

I may have actually asked this before, but I don't remember it if so: Is there any indication of what caused the Heterodyne Boys to turn out so well, to the point of going out of their way to do good when pretty much every Heterodyne before them was Evil with a capital "E"? Do the resident archive trawlers know of anything to suggest that they had a different sort of upbringing than the others, e.g., that their Heterodyne parent (their father, I think) wasn't involved in raising them or something along those lines?* Or something else along these lines.

* I would expect their other parent to be nearly as bad, but you never know. Sparky charisma and all that. And perhaps they were raised by a nursemaid or something along those lines.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by junovalkyrie View Post
    I may have actually asked this before, but I don't remember it if so: Is there any indication of what caused the Heterodyne Boys to turn out so well, to the point of going out of their way to do good when pretty much every Heterodyne before them was Evil with a capital "E"? Do the resident archive trawlers know of anything to suggest that they had a different sort of upbringing than the others, e.g., that their Heterodyne parent (their father, I think) wasn't involved in raising them or something along those lines?* Or something else along these lines.

* I would expect their other parent to be nearly as bad, but you never know. Sparky charisma and all that. And perhaps they were raised by a nursemaid or something along those lines.
    Their mother was apparently a decent human being, and had alot to do with their upbringing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #608
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Their mother was apparently a decent human being, and had alot to do with their upbringing.
    Ah, well that makes sense. Do you remember where it was mentioned?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by junovalkyrie View Post
    Ah, well that makes sense. Do you remember where it was mentioned?
    It might have been implied in the comic proper, but most of it is in The Secret Blueprints:

Spoiler
    Show
    Then what seemed to be a miracle occurred. One of these vicious Heterodynes took to wife the daughter of a conquered house. Her good behavior was bought with the continued health of her family. She proved to be an extraordinary woman who, when her children were born, saw to their education with a strength of purpose that defied all of her husband’s efforts to pass on family tradition. Finally she found her chance and poisoned her husband, ridding her people of the ancient scourge and becoming a minor folk hero (and, unfortunately, martyr) into the bargain.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-27 at 06:27 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #610
    Orc in the Playground

In Othars twitter timeline Europa was devoid of human life so either Albia didn't try to expand her empire once the war with the Other had left it unpopulated, or some fate had befallen Britain as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Albia had something to do with destabilizing Europa by, say, helping the Storm King plot along; keeping your enemies fighting amongst themselves is classic international politics. But I'm not sure of her helping the Other, that was developed in great secrecy by Lucrezia until the the whole thing blew up in the castle.

On the other hand, Albia rules Britain via mind control which seems awful familiar to the Others plan. If a British agent had gotten into the castle and starting whispering ideas into Lucrezias ears...

Uhm, Higgs is a classic English last name.
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2010-08-27 at 06:39 PM.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    My guess is that Britain is almost entirely defensive. They don't care what happens in Europa as a whole, so long as whoever's in power there doesn't try to cross the Channel.
    If Albion is accurately modelled on the British Empire at the same approximate time, then the whole Splendid Isolation guess is only reinforced, with the caveat that they don't care what happens in Europa as long as it doesn't affect British interests not just land.

Given that Wooster is spying on the Wulfenbachs, I'm assuming that makes him a SIS operative (MI6 in layman's terms), thus reinforcing the James Bond parallels.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Two thoughts have occurred to me. One, Wooster may be lying about his doubting Agatha is the Other. If her flying dingbot, the one in Strumhalten that she programmed with a backup copy of her message and that survived the dragonoid, reached Wooster as he flew overhead in Gil's plane, then he knows exactly what the situation is. And he may very much want to get Agatha to England, so Albia can deal with her. Letting anyone know he knows, though, might work against that... On the other hand, if the dingbot didn't reach the plane in time, Wooster may be telling the thruth.

Second, I mentioned earlier Boris might have to bail out of the room after Wooster if the generals get upset with him. However, I also suggested Boris might have brought shock troops with him to seize the generals if they didn't agree to remain in Klaus' service. Since Wooster's revelation will certainly prevent that, if the troops ARE there, Boris should order them to attack immediately; it may be the GENERALS who have to go out the window! However, being Jagers, they might welcome a major donnybrook. But they're also generals, and very old and experienced; they may have anticipated an attack, and have backup plans in place to deal with such a thing...

13. - Top - End - #613

BlackDragon

On an unrelated note--does anyone know why the character ended up with the name Wooster? Is it a joke on the old Jeeves and Wooster books (hey, let's have Gil's manservant be called Wooster!), or unrelated?

14. - Top - End - #614
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    If Albion is accurately modelled on the British Empire at the same approximate time, then the whole Splendid Isolation guess is only reinforced, with the caveat that they don't care what happens in Europa as long as it doesn't affect British interests not just land.
    They care a lot about what happens in Europa, because they firmly believe in a "balance of power" and it's very important to them that Europe remains a divided, squabbling continent. The reason being the fear that a united Europe would be able to go on and conquer them with little troubles.

Two thoughts have occurred to me. One, Wooster may be lying about his doubting Agatha is the Other. If her flying dingbot, the one in Strumhalten that she programmed with a backup copy of her message and that survived the dragonoid, reached Wooster as he flew overhead in Gil's plane, then he knows exactly what the situation is.
    And he'd also know that Agatha wanted the Baron's help. ("Tell Baron Wulfenbach.")
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

On an unrelated note--does anyone know why the character ended up with the name Wooster? Is it a joke on the old Jeeves and Wooster books (hey, let's have Gil's manservant be called Wooster!), or unrelated?
    I am almost certain it's a reference to the P.G. Wodehouse books, yeah.
    Truth resists simplicity.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just making sure they were not kalled Killemall and Axemurderer would have helped a lot

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    And he'd also know that Agatha wanted the Baron's help. ("Tell Baron Wulfenbach.")
    Yeah, I would NOT want to be Wooster. Both Agatha and Gil will be ticked at him when they find out what he has been up to.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yeah, I would NOT want to be Wooster. Both Agatha and Gil will be ticked at him when they find out what he has been up to.
    Well Gil will want to punish him for no other reason than failing to take agatha to england... As for Agatha, she would be happy that he helped stop the attack on der kestle, however i think it would have been more ideal for wooster to tell the generals Agatha's exact situation in regards to the other possessing her body... Agatha would have preferred the Baron stop her, than allow the other to get loose; as such she would want to make sure the jager generals know to only follow her only and to subdue her if Lucrezia were to take control again.

As it stands, if Lucrezia were to take over, she could just pretend to be agatha and control all the jagers and they will follow her never realizing that she is not their true master...
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-08-28 at 12:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    As it stands, if Lucrezia were to take over, she could just pretend to be agatha and control all the jagers and they will follow her never realizing that she is not their true master...
    Already too many friends of Agatha know about the situation. If they come near the castle, it is unlikely they will meet none of them, or be done met by none of them.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would be very surprised if Agatha hadn't taken precaution's against mother dearest impersonating her again. Her friends (Like Zeetha, Krosp, and the Jaegers) have probably been given certain question/response sets that lucy wouldn't have access too. Stuff like "What color is the rooster" "Margarine".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guciek View Post
    Already too many friends of Agatha know about the situation. If they come near the castle, it is unlikely they will meet none of them, or be done met by none of them.
    Thing is though, amongst those friends, only the Jager bros and vanamonde are the only ones that the jager generals know they can trust... As for the rest, Lucrezia could easily just claim they're part of wulfenbach's crew or the knight's of jove and that they are just trying to turn the jagers against her... Lucrezia may be able to fool Van since he's not too familiar with agatha personally... so all she really needs to do is get rid of the Jager trio; she may even find an excuse to oust them aswell

I would be very surprised if Agatha hadn't taken precaution's against mother dearest impersonating her again. Her friends (Like Zeetha, Krosp, and the Jaegers) have probably been given certain question/response sets that lucy wouldn't have access too. Stuff like "What color is the rooster" "Margarine".
    Not sure if such methods could be trusted at this point... much like how Agatha has started dipping into Lucrezia's mind, Lucrezia may figure out how to peak into her mind and learn such secrets

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Dragging the conversation back a bit, I just had a moment of Fridge Brilliance and I want to run it by you all. Specifically about Zeetha's Parentage:

Word of God Spoilers Included Inside Spoiler Bars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, we know that Zeetha has been introduced sometimes as Zeetha, Daughter of Chump. Now she has said something like, "Yes, I know what it means in your language." Which implies that the word Chump (or one very close to it) is in the Skifander Language and it just means something different.

But with the revelation that Zeetha really is Klaus' Daughter <<<EDIT::: this was the Word of God bit that I mentioned. We "know" this via sketches seen in various bookplates>>>, this takes on a possible different meaning. What if when Klaus first wakes up, he is already in Skifander. And then suppose he gets dragged to the Queen. I imagine the conversation might have gone something like this:

Queen of Skifander: And who are you who has suddenly appeared in our kingdom.
    Klaus (still pissed about being duped by Lucrezia): A Chump, apparently.
    Queen of Skifander: Very Well, Chump. This is Skifander and I am it's Queen.
    Klaus: ...
    Klaus: Actually my na-
    *pauses*
    *realizes that contradicting the Queen in a Strange Land probably isn't the best of ideas*
    Klaus: Yes Chump. Chump, Warrior of <Whatever> is my name.

Hilarity Ensues.

Now I am quite sure it won't go exactly like that. And maybe this was super obvious to lots of people. But I am convinced that we are eventually going to see a scene where Klaus self-identifies as being a chump and the name sticks.

Hence, Zeetha, Daughter of Chump.

That is sheer brilliance for the misdirection involved, I tellz ya.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-29 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Edited for clarification

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #623

BlackDragon

Just one question about that theory:

Spoiler
    Show

When did we learn that Zeetha is Klaus's daughter?

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just one question about that theory:

Spoiler
    Show

When did we learn that Zeetha is Klaus's daughter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    We 'learn' who "Chump" is in this post by datalaughing, and I can confirm via my own sketch that I received that Klaus' Wife is the lady seen in this strip. Which I still haven't gotten around to uploading.

So call it Sketch of God instead of Word of God, I suppose.

BTW, as a refinement to my theory, I suppose that we could have Wacky Translator Hijinks. I.e. a translator, who conveniently knows some of the language of the outside world, asks Klaus what his name is, and he replies sourly "a chump". And the translator, not being completely fluent enough to recognize that word dutifully translates to the Queen that Klaus is indeed a Chump.

Or maybe he arrives in a box with the word "chump" on it, and they get his name from that. That also works, and is a bit more in the style of Foglio Humor.

Either way, as I said, Hilarity Ensues.

Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-29 at 03:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625

BlackDragon

Don't know why you spoilered that, since the links are both to stuff that's in the public domain. Anyway, the original strip just says that the Royal Family sent "one of their own"--which does not mean that Zeetha is necessarily the Queen's daughter.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

^
    Spoilered because it's material that was not revealed in comic... though i'm guessing the folgios are genre-savy enough to know that at this point it's not much of a surprise to anyone... as for Zeetha and the queen
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually if you keep looking down that page (where we confirmed klaus as her father), someone asked the foglios "can i get a picture of Klaus's wife"... Guess who they say they them sent them a picture of

(though i don't think they ever posted the actual picture)
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-08-29 at 07:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We 'learn' who "Chump" is in this post by datalaughing, and I can confirm via my own sketch that I received that Klaus' Wife is the lady seen in this strip. Which I still haven't gotten around to uploading.

So call it Sketch of God instead of Word of God, I suppose.

BTW, as a refinement to my theory, I suppose that we could have Wacky Translator Hijinks. I.e. a translator, who conveniently knows some of the language of the outside world, asks Klaus what his name is, and he replies sourly "a chump". And the translator, not being completely fluent enough to recognize that word dutifully translates to the Queen that Klaus is indeed a Chump.

Or maybe he arrives in a box with the word "chump" on it, and they get his name from that. That also works, and is a bit more in the style of Foglio Humor.

Either way, as I said, Hilarity Ensues.

In the immortal words of our forebears, Pics or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Early Sneaky Gate is Early:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well. Looks like the Jägergenerals aren't that fond of the Other after all. Which makes sense, given Da Boyz reaction to seeing that The Other was still active.

in regards to earlier conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    In the immortal words of our forebears, Pics or it didn't happen.
    Later today. I have to buy a new cable for my scanner.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-08-29 at 03:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

Why is Boris saying goodbye in Russian?

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Why is Boris saying goodbye in Russian?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I presume you mean Wooster. Anyway I would think he is doing it because he is speaking to someone of a vaguely Russian background. In much the same way one of the Jägergenerals addressed Boris as "Gospodin" Dolokhov.