New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Hollow

Hollow

Atraceria, the home of the Hollow, was once a grand cathedral of mortal ingenuity. Surpassing even the kobolds in technological and magical power, and possessing the creativity and determination of the humans, the Atracerans were a strong and capable race.

It was this combination of power and hubris that was their downfall.

Their Emperor, Tyrian, sought divine power. Using his vast magical abilities, he and his servants created a device so powerful it could challenge the gods. The object, known only as the Atracian Device, cannibalized spirits and sapped divine power from Boross and Avindia themselves. Though the drain was small compared to their near-infinite power, they felt it, much like a human can feel a seasonal illness gaining strength.

To the Atracerans, however, this power was unfathomable. Tyrian began to reshape Atraceria. The peasantry worshiped his might. He solved any problem they came across, and rid them of diseases, suffering, and loss. Atraceria had entered a golden age, or so it believed.

There are many things mortals do not know, and much mortals never will. Reality is deeper than any sorcerer could ever dream, and to the gods, Tyrian's sweeping alterations were merely cosmetic. Tyrian was only aware of reality's surface, and so it was the surface he meddled with. They saw only corruption where once a beautiful world had been. Tyrian, with his power and naivety, overwrote their masterpiece with the equivalent of a child's drawing in the sand. They fancied themselves gods.

Tired of watching their power be abused in such a way, and concerned for nearby species, Boross and Avindia acted in concert to snatch back their divinity. They cursed the Atracerans, barring them access to divine power forevermore, and bestowed upon them a destructive touch that ensured they would never build such a testament to arrogance ever again.

Atraceria fell into disarray, and its people fell into a depression. The true cost of the curse did not reveal itself until Tyrian, who had brought this upon his people, attempted suicide.

The Atracerans were barred from the spiritual planes, as well.

Days later, Tyrian finally awoke, wrapped in funerary garb and still occupying his own, dead body. Thus, Tyrian became the first Hollow.

Hundreds of years have passed since then, and all of Atraceria has since perished, only to reawaken as a Hollow. Their undead flesh senses all it used to, such as touch, texture, and temperature, but they do not experience the sensations. They do not feel the cool wind blowing, but they know that it is. They do not feel their lover's touch, but they know the hand is there. Never needing sleep, never able to die, the Hollow are locked in a prison of flesh and bone, unable to feel the world around them but knowing it is there.

The Hollow are a consciousness suspended in a sensory-depriving void, disconnected from reality around them. They exist, with no goals and no hope. They fear only death, for death brings a deeper loneliness, and robs them of what little senses they retain. Atraceria, once a glorious country, lays in ruins, crumbling around its former inhabitants who are unable to care for it.

Personality: Hollow vary in how they deal with their situation. Some are deeply depressed and long for the experiences of life. Some are fatalistic and wish only to end their misery. Others are filled with hate for the living and the gods they worship. Still others simply try to forget what life was once like and learn to cope with their new self.

Physical Description: Previously very much like humans, Hollow are now withered and dessicated creatures. Their skin is blackened with rot and tough, like leather. Their eyes are shriveled white orbs hanging limply in their hollowed skulls. Hollowed are roughly as tall as a human, but weigh a third as much. Hollow who weigh 50 to 75 pounds are not uncommon.

Relations: Atraceria is distant, and few Hollow have made the journey eastward towards the other races. Most races hate the Hollow because of their undead nature, but those who are aware of their curse typically pity them. Hollow hate other races in their own lands, though the aggression appears to be out of a desire to hide their shame instead of a destructive hate of the living. The yeenash and sheevra find it hardest to adventure with a Hollow, while the kobolds find them fascinating.

Alignment: Hollow lean significantly towards evil, often consumed with anger and shame. It is not unheard of for Hollow to be good, however, and many good Hollow are, ironically, spokesmen for the twin deities and the danger of hubris. Hollow lean towards chaos.

Hollow Lands: Atraceria lies to the west, hanging low in the sky. The lower side of Atraceria is, in fact, buried beneath the clouds of the Abyss. It is not known how deep it goes, but many scientists and scholars wish to gain access to the caverns and rifts to explore the Abyss from within.

The Hollow lands are filled with ruins, many of which are still inhabited by the creatures who built them. The land is overseen by Tyrian, who sits on his shattered throne amidst the ruins of his kingdom.

Religion: Hollow have no religion to speak of, though some have returned to worship and prayer to Boross and Avindia, hoping for salvation. While suspended in their void of death, a few Hollow have heard a voice, a voice that speaks through the emptiness that underlies the planes. They awaken from their death with a new patron, a creature that has existed before the planes, possibly before the gods, and will remain after everything has gone. These Hollow call it Omoroth, the Whisper from the Void.

A new religion based around the void has arisen in the ranks of the Hollow, who are enticed by the reward it offers. To become one with the void is to cease to be, and to free themselves from their cycle of suffering.

Language: The Atracerans had a unified language long before their fall, and they retain it to this day. It is ideographic, which each symbol being a discrete concept. This allows them to transmit great amounts of information in a very short amount of time, but increases the chances of being misunderstood and makes the language significantly harder to learn.

Names: Some Hollow retain the names they once had, while others have cast them aside and chosen a new one in an attempt to forget what they once had. When traveling, many Hollow call themselves Hebretari, meaning "Forsaken One", or Jeku, meaning "Pathetic", depending on how they view their curse. Ones who are filled with anger often refer to themselves as Karityrian, "Servant of Tyrian," an attempt at indicating national pride.

Adventurers: Few Hollow become adventurers. Those that do either seek to experience as much as possible, to warn others of the curse, or to seek emptiness through the path of the whisper.

Hollow Racial Traits

-2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, No Constitution
    Undead (Quintessent): Hollow are quintessent undead. This changes how certain spells affect them. Additionally, they are immune to mind-affecting attacks, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, quintessent death effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, death from massive damage, quintessent ability drain, or quintessent energy drain. They are immune to any effect that requires a fortitude save unless it is negative or positive energy based, works on objects, or is harmless. They use their Charisma modifier for Concentration checks. They do not breathe, eat, drink, or sleep. Negative energy effects still harm them as if they were living, and positive energy effects harm them as if they were undead.
    Medium: As Medium creatures, hollow have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Hollow base land speed is 30 feet.
    Saṃsāra: Cursed by the gods themselves, and rejected by both Heaven and Hell, Hollow cannot die. When destroyed, a Hollow reforms 3d4 days after its death. The maddening sensory deprivation the Hollow's consciousness undergoes during this period is traumatic; the Hollow loses a level, just like a normal character when he is returned from the dead. If the Hollow is level 1, it instead loses 1 point of Charisma. If it ever reaches 0 Charisma, it does not return, but does not cease to be. Its consciousness is forever locked in a featureless void, alone and aware, but lacking the strength to awaken its body. For this reason, Hollow fear death as much as a living creature.
    Forsaken: Hollow are unable to channel divine power through any means. They may not take levels of cleric, druid, paladin, ranger or any other class that wields divine magic or gains divinely powered class features. Even Sovereigns refuse to interact with the Hollow. Hollow may not benefit from divine magic cast on them, nor can they use divine magic items. They may still be harmed by hostile divine magic.
    Corruptive Touch: The touch of a Hollow is damaging, dealing 1d8 points of quintessent damage, plus the Hollow's Charisma modifier, to any living creature it comes into contact with. This applies even to natural weapons that strike the Hollow. Manufactured weapons and items take this damage every hour, regardless of hardness. The corruptive touch is always on and cannot be deactivated, nor can this touch heal Hollow, unlike normal quintessent damage.
    Experienced Craftsman: When your touch destroys your tools and materials, you learn to work quickly and efficiently. Hollow may make Craft checks to create or repair an object with half the cost and half the time. This does not apply to the cost to create or repair a magic item, but it does apply to the time required.
    +2 racial bonus on Hide checks.
    +2 racial bonus on Knowledge [History] checks. Hollows are of great age, and know much about what has happened.
    +2 racial bonus on Concentration checks. The lack of sensation allows Hollow to keep focused more easily.
    Automatic Languages: Common and Atraceran.
    Favored Class: Whisper. A multiclass hollow's whisper class does not count when determining whether it takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
    Last edited by Kuma Kode; 2010-10-02 at 11:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Winds of Aether [3.5 Campaign Setting PEACH]

Kuma Kode: First, this is an awesome setting, based off an interesting premise, and extremely well-made. I just have one question: How did you make the pictures?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Kuma Kode: First, this is an awesome setting, based off an interesting premise, and extremely well-made. I just have one question: How did you make the pictures?
    Thanks! I did not make the picture for the Atmosphere, but the rest I just used GIMP for the others. The planets I created following this tutorial, which also helped with my d20 Future campaign setting.

4. - Top - End - #64

Also, I apologize for not posting anything terribly recently. It's not that I've lost interest, it's just that I'm obsessing over the whisper class. Far realm based invocation/shadow magic user.

5. - Top - End - #65

Chimera

Awesome! I've only glimpse a bit off it, but I like this a lot

Oh, and nice logo you have there
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-10-10 at 06:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

6. - Top - End - #66

Default Wildeholt Island

Wildeholt Island

Wildeholt is a small collection of islands home to a pleasant populace of fishers and craftsmen. It is a quiet village, somewhat distant from the rest of Praedany and occupying the dispassionate Cowie barony. This tucked-away location, combined with the easy access to the skies, is the reason Wildeholt Island is the base of operations for the Coral Thunder and its band of pirates.

The townsfolk do not mind the presence of the pirates; they keep far enough away not to bring problems, but close enough to protect the village and stimulate its economy, a quality which has made Wildeholt a popular stopping point for travelers looking for a quiet place to sleep or conduct business.

Wildeholt is close to the adventure locations Obou Island, and the Temple of Twilight. It is home to Erwin Manor.

Vital Statistics
    Barony: Cowie
    Goverment: Lawful Good Council of Elders
    --- Chairman: Judson Blanchard
    Land Area: 1,260,128 square feet
    Elevation: Aproximately 998 feet
    Population: 840
    Gold Limit: 156 GP
    Total Wealth: 13,166 GP

Full-Time Guards: 8
    Militia: 42

Population By Class and Level
    {table=head;width=80%]|1|2|3|4|5|6|7
    Adept|3||||||
    Aristocrat|3||||||
    Barbarian|0||||||
    Bard|0|1|||||
    Cleric|0|2|0|1|||
    Commoner|725|16|8|4|2|0|1
    Druid|0|2|1||||
    Expert|23|1|||||
    Fighter|0|0|2|0|0|1|
    Paladin|1||||||
    Ranger|1||||||
    Rogue|0|1|||||
    Sorcerer|0||||||
    Warrior|39|1|||||
    Wizard|0||||||
    Yeenash|1||||||[/table]

Notable NPCs
    {table=head;width=80%]Name|Alignment|Sex|Race|Class / Level|Role
    Kirk Ware|LG|M|Human|Expert 1|City Council
    Delbert Beach|LN|M|Human|Aristocrat 1|City Council
    Jengo Rudo|LG|M|Kobold|Aristocrat 1|City Council
    Judson Blanchard|LN|M|Human|Aristocrat 1|City Council Chairman
    Benny Long|NE|M|Deva|Druid 2|City Council
    Iva Barry|N|F|Human|Expert 1|City Council
    Harold Grant|LN|M|Human|Warrior 2|Captain of the Guard
    Trent Morgan|LE|M|Human|Warrior 1|Night Guard
    Elden Nicolas Hernandez|N|M|Human|Warrior 1|Night Guard
    Ezequiel Walters|N|M|Human|Warrior 1|Night Guard
    Tommy Jim Graves|CN|M|Human|Warrior 1|Day Guard
    Werner Merrill|LN|M|Human|Warrior 1|Day Guard
    Rey Gordon Cooper|N|M|Human|Warrior 1|Day Guard
    Aldrik Bamber|LN|M|Hobgoblin|Warrior 1|Dock Guard
    Lacy Arnold|CN|M|Deva|Warrior 1|Dock Guard
    [/table]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I have a few questions on this totally awesome setting, but I'll keep them one at a time.
    First, I don't want to sound like a idiot, but what happens if you fall off a ship? I assume its bad.
    Last edited by apocalypsePast2; 2010-11-09 at 09:18 PM.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

8. - Top - End - #68

I think it was posted earlier that in addition to falling forever, at the lover levels the atmosphere does acid damage.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmmm, yes, that seems bad. Also I'm confused on the way the religions of the two major gods work. You say that they're above good and evil and have all alignments actively worshiping them, but among their domains are Good, so how does that work? Do evil beings see them as slightly different aspects of the same god?

Call me Apoc.

10. - Top - End - #70

If you fall off a ship, you continue to fall until something stops you. Since Aether has no solid ground, you'll continue to fall until the atmospheric pressure crushes you into a fine powder which is then integrated into the liquid core.

Saving an ally who fell involves flying or dramatic use of feather fall and diving under the slowly falling friends with the ship.

Any particular cleric of Boross or Avindia needs to focus on a particular aspect of their deity. They can choose to focus on the pleasant aspects and even on how the deities are "good," but a person can still read their teachings and end up using it to justify evil. The deities themselves, however, are not evil and do not support that kind of magic. They may be beyond alignment, but they still have a preference.

Generally, they're designed to function similar to real-world religions. The deities themselves are not evil and do not support that particular kind of behavior, but their texts can still be used to justify horrible acts.

The only way to select the Evil domain is to worship the Sovereigns, which some particularly deluded individuals may do while thinking their power comes from the deities.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay I see, I thought it was going to be like evil worshipers seeing the calm god as some sort of manipulative chessmaster god, promoting those while the chaotic one could be seen (as the hobgoblins do i think) as a bloody goddess of destruction and war
    could we put these angles on the gods if we plan on worshiping them as non-good characters?

Call me Apoc.

12. - Top - End - #72

On a scale of 1-10, how dead is this thread?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

As in 1, no activity, or as in 10, really dead?

Call me Apoc.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Have patience, Kuma will be back in due time. He's been busy lately, but we haven't heard the last of him, I don't think.

15. - Top - End - #75

10 being really dead.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    10 being really dead.
    Yeah, that's the spirit.

Also, you misspelled Eberron.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Yeah, that's the spirit.

Also, you misspelled Eberron.
    3 Months and your the first to notice.

18. - Top - End - #78

"He's only mostly dead."

Ahh, yes, awesome. And I was just thinking about making some skies of arcadia items/creatures.

One thing that struck me: A world where all land is suspended in the skies would likely have to develop an entirely new system of mapping to indicate the 3rd dimension. I can't count the number of times I've had that problem in skies. I get to where the map shoes the island, but then I have to waste valuable time trying to figure out if it's above or below me.

On falling: There's a panic button that does feather fall for a few rounds, and I'm sure most societies would have some system designed to catch fallers. Suspended nets beneath the islands. Parachutes. Emergency balloons. On the sea during rough weather, sailors would have to tie off to the main mast to prevent going overboard. It would make sense for sky sailors to have similar measures in place.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes, and I imagine that feather fall amulets would be a common thing, if not required.

Also, I think this thread has moved down to an eight.

Call me Apoc.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    Yes, and I imagine that feather fall amulets would be a common thing, if not required.

Also, I think this thread has moved down to an eight.
    Feather fall doesn't do that much good for you, you're still plummeting to your doom, though this way you have more time to ponder your fate. It's mostly useful if you're falling ONTO something.

I like the balloon idea. Perhaps a new spell for this world, one that, instead fo slowing your fall, floats you in place. No further falling, but you can't move either unless you can normally fly, and you're rather exposed in the open sky. There might be skysharks about.

That raises another question. Sharks and sea-dwelling beasties are only a threat to sailors that fall overboard. In a world where the fish all fly, predators would be a serious problem because if you drop your guard, one could easily swoop down, snatch up a sailor and beat wing to go enjoy it's meal. Or a swarm of flying pirahna could devour your lookout before anyone could get there to save him. Plus, they would cause problems with the rigging and sails.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sky-octopi and sky-squid. No more need be said.

Call me Apoc.

22. - Top - End - #82

OMGWFTBBQHAX

Yeah, this entire world is screwed. Sky-kraken.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sky Dandan. VUACS, hell yeah. Incidentally, Zeta, I'm now advertising for you!

Call me Apoc.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    Sky Dandan. VUACS, hell yeah. Incidentally, Zeta, I'm now advertising for you!
    That is much appreciated, thank you. If you like, you can pick up a banner for your sig here.

26. - Top - End - #86

A wild ACTIVITY appears!

But seriously, all of my projects are on hold. My group is currently playing d20 Future, and I am attempting to put together a skill-based system I've named d20 Minerva. Aether is being integrated into the system as the "default" setting, but I otherwise have very little time for anything right now.

Since you've all been so nice, here's a peek. It's currently in the vestigial stage so nothing's balanced or particularly creative, since I'm still laying the "deal X damage" groundwork. Crazy stuff like grease and prismatic spray come a bit later.

Float Fungus is used as a floatation device. It's like a leather balloon you can tie to you that will slow your descent.

I may actually need to use a sky leviathan, which would make an epic ship battle.
    Last edited by Kuma Kode; 2010-11-24 at 06:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Kuma! when is this thing getting back a rolling? super excited about it still! need to experience it!!!!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

It's a pity this is on hold because it's awesome, but good luck with your group.

I'll just salvate of this while i wait for more.