Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Wizards and Coming Back to Life

Every level, a wizard adds two spells for free to their spellbook.
    When you come back to life, you lose a level and all skills, feats, spells per day, base attack and saves, and hit dice.
    But, your equipment is fine and undamaged.

Does a wizard level x who dies, gets resurrected and becomes wizard level x-1, and then levels into Wizard level x again, does said wizard gain two more spells into their spellbook for free again?

For a bonus round, if a character multiclassed into wizard 1, gaining all the original spells (3+Int bonus of 1st level spells), and then dies, and then goes back to wizard 1, do they get an additional (3+INT bonus of 1st level spells) added to their spellbook?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wizards and Coming Back to Life

When you level up, you get more spells, yes. De-leveling through death or XP penalty does not erase those spells, but regaining a lost level would indeed technically give you more spells. It's meant to be a byproduct of gaining XP while in that career field.

And the initial spells for choosing the wizard career are gained for long study. If you de-level and end up as wiz 1 again, you don't get more spells. You already HAVE those spells.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thank you for the clarification.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    And the initial spells for choosing the wizard career are gained for long study. If you de-level and end up as wiz 1 again, you don't get more spells. You already HAVE those spells.
    It should be noted that this is strictly a judgment call, though I would agree with it personally. As much as I hate paying for spells to add to my spellbook when I'm playing a wizard, they don't need any help. I might consider giving them the 2 they would gain at any other level though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gaborn in Into the Third Age
    Geist in Thershadeth
    Kinkal in Voyage of the Iron Maiden
    Jubilus Bellum in To Steal the Sun...On Earth as it is in Heaven
    Frahraek in The Secret Society [Take That 4th Wall]
    Thuk in A Brave New Frontier
    David Narless (Daeclan) in Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the 2 per level mechanic is really there just to put the brakes on your highest-level spells anyway. Spells of lower level get filled out later on by treasure and the odd shopping purchase or swap. Plus there are numerous ways to up that to 3 per level.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.