New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Best Divine Spells

So I'm playing an Archivist, and my DM said the fateful words after a plot point 'pick any applicable spells'. Basically I get to remake my prayer book but can pull from anywhere, not just Cleric. My question is what spells are hard and fast 'never miss' ones. I've played Archivists so I know the Cleric spell list pretty well, as well as the HoH spells, but Druid, Ranger, and Paladin are all kind of new to me from a player perspective. What should I NEVER miss?

Total Spell's Known by Spell Level
    1: 10
    2: 8
    3: 6
    4: 4

That being said, I have some extra GP, so I don't mind buying scrolls to increase my repertoire. As always, thanks play-grounders.
    "Blessings of Father Malkav be with you, and might madness follow in your footsteps."

What D&D Character are you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Bard (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

Avatar by LordRod. Thanks again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Best Divine Spells

Lesser Restoration is a level 1 paladin spell iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

How cheesy are you willing to get? Between the Southern Magician Faerun feat and the Geomancer class, you can get pretty squirrely.

That being said, the first thing to do is look through the Divine Bard, Paladin, and Ranger lists. They'll get cleric spells at a much lower spell level.

Failing that, I recommend Shillelagh as a low-level Druid spell. It's a blast.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You have a limited number of spells, so tell us what you want to DO. Blast? Buff? Screw with the enemy? Do you need divination to solve a plot or dungeon mystery?
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

@gbprime: Sorry about that. Divine magic isn't that good for blasting, so mostly buffing (I'll be taking the Vigors for healing) with some enemy screwing/battle field control. Our Barb is a DPS cheese machine and we have a bunch of tanks already.

@subject42: We have a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker that puts out 100+ damage a hit with Lion Totem leaping cheese. I don't mind being broken as possible, and will mitigate it to make sure others don't feel left out. Hopefully buffing will help them keep up with the Barb.
    "Blessings of Father Malkav be with you, and might madness follow in your footsteps."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FatherMalkav View Post
    @subject42: We have a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker that puts out 100+ damage a hit with Lion Totem leaping cheese. I don't mind being broken as possible, and will mitigate it to make sure others don't feel left out. Hopefully buffing will help them keep up with the Barb.
    Convince your DM that you've found a Southern Magician Geomancer that had the scribe scroll feat. Now all Sorcerer/Wizard spells are also available for divine casting. There are a lot of great buff spells that you can get access to this way.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can convince him of that. So should I have changed the thread to 'Best Spells period' lol?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Streamers is a level 2 spell from Shining South. Maybe your Southern friend knows that one.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

A must-read for all Archivists - Lowest-level versions of spells

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Optimystik beat me to it. You can also do well using the Runescarred Berserker spell list, which has Air Walk, Cure Critical Wounds, Death Ward, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon, and Haste at 3rd; Greater Invisibility, Righteous Might, and Stoneskin at 4th; and Antimagic Field, Heal, and Polymorph at 5th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11

Try to grab as many Paladin versions of spells as possible, so you can autoQuicken them with Battle Blessing (Complete Champion).
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?