New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [3.5]Transmutation Feats

Greetings, I have noticed that the transmutation school of magic does not get as much love as the other schools. Do yall know of any transmutation buffing feats? I found one in the dragon compendium that's pretty nice but I cant for the life of me find anything else.
    Janaga: "I meet alot of interesting people...most of which seem to be in my head"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5]Transmutation Feats

Complete Mage:
    Toughening Transmutation - Get DR when you cast a Transmutation spell
    MinorShapeshift - Get a physical benefit and +1 CL to Polymorph spells

Not much but they are out there.

Of course there is always Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation) as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, minor shapeshift is all you need. Swift action to charge up temporary HP equal to your hit dice. Combine that with Stoneskin or Heart of Earth, and you have a Transmuter that is pretty darn hard to kill. (Failed saving throws aside.)
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think there are some trans reserve feats.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I don't remember what book it was in, but there is a feat that increases any ability score bonuses from spells like bulls str by +2 (for +6).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Dragon Compendium
    Janaga: "I meet alot of interesting people...most of which seem to be in my head"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    Greetings, I have noticed that the transmutation school of magic does not get as much love as the other schools.
    Wait, what?

Transmutation is the best school out there, though possibly with the sole exclusion of Conjuration (it's arguable). Spell Compendium has more Sor/Wiz Transmutation spells than those of other schools at nearly every spell level. There aren't many Transmutation-specific feats, but neither are there many feats specific for the other schools, especially not ones worth caring about.

Just pick feats good for anyone like Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Persistent Spell, Easy Metamagic, etc, then go to town.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Wait, what?

Transmutation is the best school out there, though possibly with the sole exclusion of Conjuration (it's arguable). Spell Compendium has more Sor/Wiz Transmutation spells than those of other schools at nearly every spell level. There aren't many Transmutation-specific feats, but neither are there many feats specific for the other schools, especially not ones worth caring about.

Just pick feats good for anyone like Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Persistent Spell, Easy Metamagic, etc, then go to town.
    I beg to differ actually, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment all have many more feats dedicated specifically to them than transmutation does.

But aye I do suppose I will have to mostly go with the general ones. Though I'm definitely going for those ones in the complete mage...I had looked at them before but didn't think they were that good I suppose I will need to try them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

There are some. But as if anyone needed them what with the plethora of abilities and the like you get with PAO.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I beg to differ actually, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment all have many more feats dedicated specifically to them than transmutation does.
    Ones that are any good? Most of the reserve/rider feats in CM are pretty terrible; Transmutation has one of the few good ones (Minor Shapechange). Minion-based schools (Necromancy and Conjuration) get a lot that improve their minion summoning techniques, but the other schools don't have all that many useful feats in my experience, though YMMD.

I suppose Transmutation may not have that many because of how varied the school is, though. Necromancy debuffs and makes minions. Evocation blasts. Enchantment beguiles people. Divination finds stuff out. Transmutation just does everything; you can buff, you can blast, you can save or suck, you can debuff, you can do whatever you want, so it's harder to make feats that would apply to the entire school without making it general enough to apply to other schools.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

11. - Top - End - #11

But aye I do suppose I will have to mostly go with the general ones. Though I'm definitely going for those ones in the complete mage...I had looked at them before but didn't think they were that good I suppose I will need to try them.
    I suggest you take a look at this. Or the Batman Wizard.

When players first look at the game, evocation seems to be the most powerful. But time and time again, people have shown that transmutation is probably the most powerful. Situations can vary.

Here is more arguments:

At higher levels, enchantment sucks. You are almost guaranteed to be fighting things immune to mind affecting effects (undead, constructs.)

Illusion requires a failed will save to be effective.

Many things of evocation can be replaced with necromancy (ranged touch attacks and the like.)
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The best Transmutation Feat is probably Power Attack

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    I suggest you take a look at this. Or the Batman Wizard.

When players first look at the game, evocation seems to be the most powerful. But time and time again, people have shown that transmutation is probably the most powerful. Situations can vary.

Here is more arguments:

At higher levels, enchantment sucks. You are almost guaranteed to be fighting things immune to mind affecting effects (undead, constructs.)

Illusion requires a failed will save to be effective.

Many things of evocation can be replaced with necromancy (ranged touch attacks and the like.)
    He wasn't claiming that they were more powerful, but that they have more feat support.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    He wasn't claiming that they were more powerful, but that they have more feat support.
    Which does have a better argument, as metamagic usually works better for other schools than transmutation.
    Last edited by Erts; 2010-07-13 at 06:47 PM.

-Voltaire

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Which does have a better argument, as metamagic usually works better for other schools than transmutation.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. Empower and Maximize, maybe, but metamagic feats like Extend, Persist, Quicken, Chain, and Heighten all work quite fine with Transmutation, sometimes even better than with other schools (especially Chain).

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. Empower and Maximize, maybe, but metamagic feats like Extend, Persist, Quicken, Chain, and Heighten all work quite fine with Transmutation, sometimes even better than with other schools (especially Chain).
    Chain, extend, persist, and heighten I understand, but quicken? Usually, for buffing spells, you don't need to be fast.

EDIT: To clarify, I said buffing because the OP originally asked about them. I can understand for debuffing spells what you mean.
    Last edited by Erts; 2010-07-13 at 07:29 PM.

-Voltaire

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Chain, extend, persist, and heighten I understand, but quicken? Usually, for buffing spells, you don't need to be fast.

EDIT: To clarify, I said buffing because the OP originally asked about them. I can understand for debuffing spells what you mean.
    What's better than getting one buff spell off the opening round? Getting off two.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    What's better than getting one buff spell off the opening round? Getting off two.
    What's better than getting off two buffs in the opening round? Having them all up already or getting them all up in the first round.

I like the Spell Matrixes....

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Even better: Buff, battlefield control to buy you another turn = two more buffs.