New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Psionic Shot + Eldritch Blast

Can I use Psionic Shot (and it's Greater version) on Eldritch blast, or with other ray spells? Because I am smelling a build here.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Psionic Shot + Eldritch Blast

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Can I use Psionic Shot (and it's Greater version) on Eldritch blast, or with other ray spells? Because I am smelling a build here.
    Sure. So you can add an additional +2d6 or +4d6 damage every round, assuming you can regain psionic focus as a move action, and aren't in any immediate danger that you need to move.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Yes, Psionic Shot works with any ranged attack or ranged touch attack.

Your main issue is needing to recharge your focus with each shot. You're also looking at 4 feats tied up in doing +4d6 damage (PBS, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Shot, GPS) which makes it a touch less attractive, but still doable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your main issue is needing to recharge your focus with each shot. You're also looking at 4 feats tied up in doing +4d6 damage (PBS, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Shot, GPS) which makes it a touch less attractive, but still doable.
    Well I already plan on having pbs (and precise too, I don't like -4 to hit), and I don't want to resort to hellfire to get decent damage (I have an aversion to self inflicted ability damage). I am probably going to dip a level in psywar (for the feat and psionics).
    Feats
    Lvl1 - point blank
    human - precise shot
    Psywar bonus feat - Psionic shot
    Lvl 3 - psionic meditation
    Lvl 6 - ??????? (probably skill focus(concentration))
    Lvl 9 - GPS

So at lvl 10 I am throwing 9d6 every round, though this doesn't work on those tasty AoE blast shapes. So this is by no means optimized, but it will work for a fun character.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Skill Focus (Concentration) isn't really all that great a feat to take; your concentration checks should be fairly high already, and you should be able to avoid needing to make them most of the time anyhow.

Ability Focus is a better choice. It increases your EB saving throw by 2, so it helps whenever you apply a blast shape or essence that allows a save. Alternatively, Martial Study (ToB) can get you any 2nd level maneuver, such as Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, or Action Before Thought. Even something like Spell Penetration or Improved Initiative will help you more than Skill Focus (Concentration).
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So at lvl 10 I am throwing 9d6 every round, though this doesn't work on those tasty AoE blast shapes. So this is by no means optimized, but it will work for a fun character.
    Hmm, but wont it work on things like Chain?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hmm, but wont it work on things like Chain?
    No, because Eldritch Chain requires making new attack rolls for targets beyond the first one, so Psionic Shot will only apply to one of the attacks.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

You need 7 ranks for psionic meditation, meaning the earliest you can take it normally would be 6th lv (though you could always splash a lv of psywarrior at 4th lv).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    No, because Eldritch Chain requires making new attack rolls for targets beyond the first one, so Psionic Shot will only apply to one of the attacks.
    Secondary targets in a chain specifically take exactly half the damage the primary target took.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Yzzyx View Post
    Secondary targets in a chain specifically take exactly half the damage the primary target took.
    I think that refers to only base damage, external sources of damage such as psionic shot or mortalbane might not count.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    I think that refers to only base damage, external sources of damage such as psionic shot or mortalbane might not count.
    Eldritch Chain states the opposite:
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane, pg. 133, Eldritch Chain
    Each target struck after the first takes half the damage dealt to the first target. This reduction in damage to secondary targets applies to any effect that increases the damage of your eldritch blast (such as vitriolic blast)
    By RAW, Eldritch Blast counts as a ranged attack (a ranged touch attack, but nonetheless counts as a ranged attack). This feat is an effect that increases the damage of Eldritch Blast, given that it is a ranged attack and hence complies with the requisite to enable Psionic Shot (and Greater Psionic Shot); hence, it applies to all secondary characters affected by Eldritch Chain by virtue of the reading.

However, take heed that it might not work on other Blast Shape Invocations, such as Eldritch Cone, Eldritch Doom or Hideous Blow (or Eldritch Glaive). It could work on stuff like Eldritch Spear, tho, since it keeps the ranged attack action.

In any case, the build is so complex it wouldn't affect that much (Eldritch Chain becomes a good option, but so does with Hellfire Warlock's Hellfire Blast if you think about it), so it's not exactly something to ban or worry about. It only works on a few variants of Eldritch Blast, in any case (basic, Spear and Chain).

Now, it could make for a mini-nova along with Hellfire Blast...
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This idea is interesting. Is there a psionics/warlock theurge PrC anywhere?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This idea is interesting. Is there a psionics/warlock theurge PrC anywhere?
    No, but you can use Cerebremancer if you can qualify somehow. You'll need a wizard dip + Precocious Apprentice or something similar.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    No, but you can use Cerebremancer if you can qualify somehow. You'll need a wizard dip + Precocious Apprentice or something similar.
    I guess it's not really necessary if you're only dipping psionics to use Psionic Shot, but it was worth a try.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually a psionic/invoker prc would not be bad to brew. It will probably show up with in the next few days on the home brew boards, but first I have to do some research.

Also the amalgamancer prc in my sig does advance psionics and warlock, but you also need divine, prep'ed and spont arcane, and meld shaping so it hardly helps for this case, just thought I would give it a plug.
    My homebrew