New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default J.V. Jones' Sword of Shadows: Clan Lores

I've been reading these books and I like the clan lores as a character element. So, just for fun, let's make them into a game effect!

For those who have read these books, how would you turn the lores into a mechanical game effect? I'm thinking background feat, with different effects depending on the lore.

For those who haven't, a quick summary is that every child born into the clanholds (a territory held by culturally similar but distinct clans, something like 15 of them, with three main ones) is given a lore based on a 'dreaming' by their clan guide. These lores are supposed to protect and guide the clansperson, as well as represent some attributes of that person.

Here's a list of which lores I can remember off the top of my head, as well as characters who have them:

Eagle: Inigar Stoop, Raina Blackhail
    Fox: Anwyn Bird
    Bear: Tem Sevrance, Drey Sevrance
    Wolf: Mace Blackhail
    Stone: Effie Sevrance (this lore is odd to the point of intolerance)
    Raven: Raif Sevrance (though an animal like other lores, poorly regarded)
    Deer: Unknown grandaughter of Vaylo Bludd
    Dog: Vaylo Bludd
    Owl: no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance and Inigar Stoop
    Fish: no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance internal monologue
    Trees: rare, no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance internal monologue

I also suspect that Bram Cormac was born to the hawk lore or eagle lore, and that Stillborn of the Rift Brothers to the bull lore; due to a taboo on asking another's lore, these characters have never had their lores mentioned.

And traits which seem to be associated with each of these lores:

Eagle: Foresight, Awareness
    Fox: Home, Work, Action
    Bear: Strength, Loyalty, Protection, Patience
    Wolf: Deceit, Cunning
    Stone: Steadfastness, Mysticism; Effie's Stone Lore often warns her of danger to her or loved ones.
    Raven: Death, Endurance, Cleverness; Raif is marked by a unique ability to hit living targets in the heart, and also has had conversations with "Death".
    Deer: Grace, Innocence
    Dog: Loyalty, Leadership
    Owl: Night Vision, Foresight, Good (it is mentioned with reference to its ability to see in 'dark times')
    Fish: ?
    Trees: ?
    Hawk: Eyesight? Intelligence?
    Bull: Strength?

So, how would you implement it, and what specific effects should be associated with each lore? Does the player choose the lore or is it determined randomly?
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2010-07-25 at 09:03 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: J.V. Jones' Sword of Shadows: Clan Lores

Too obscure?
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.