New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Misuse of animal shapes

I just realized that the druid spell animal shapes could lead to some interesting role playing situations.

The party I am DMing is about to try to assault a demilich enchantress in her own house. I was trying to see what spells they might use, so I was considering the druid spell list.

A dog could be purchased fairly cheap. 20 dogs is not much of an expense either. Once those dogs are all the size and shape of Mastodons, however, they are fairly capable of destroying walls, priceless libraries, kitchens, arcane tools, and anything else that gets in their way. They wouldn't take a hit, but if you released 20-100 of them into the place, the lich would likely get so angry that she *might* make a mistake and not teleport away if she is in a tough situation. I wonder if there are any other spells like this (ones that I should be aware of from a roleplaying stand point, as my group tends to come up with interesting solutions to problems.)

We have a wizard, druid, bard, and monk

(by the way, they use mainly the SC, and the PH for their spells)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Misuse of animal shapes

Quote Originally Posted by TrueMikeBrown View Post
    A dog could be purchased fairly cheap. 20 dogs is not much of an expense either. Once those dogs are all the size and shape of Mastodons, however, they are fairly capable of destroying walls, priceless libraries, kitchens, arcane tools, and anything else that gets in their way.
    A dog only has 1 HD, or 2 HD for a riding dog. This means it cannot be polymorphed into anything with more than 1 or 2 HD. You could turn them into ponies, but not elephants.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

oh! hmm that is too bad... Well that prevents her from being annoyed in that particular way

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

oh! hmm that is too bad... Well that prevents her from being annoyed in that particular way
    if you are of high enough level, you could always purchase a bunch of these dogs and use a couple of awesome buffs and let them loose.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #5

If we're using animal assailants go with the fastest and smallest bird you can find, and then have it hold a delayed blast fireball in its beak. it takes dove-bombing to a whole new level.

I know it's not what you asked for specifically, but it's along the same vein...

6. - Top - End - #6

1) Collect and trap hundreds of rats
    2) Buy a couple bags of corn
    3) Feed rats
    4) Turn rats into pigeons
    5) Release pigeons in BBEG's house, mansion, cave, tower.
    6) ????
    7) Profit (In laughter)
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-07-14 at 01:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You want chickens. I'm not sure what the statblock is, but you can probably polymorph them into cats. Chain some buffs onto them, and you got yourself a 2cp army. Bonus points if you take leadership for a lvl 1 commoner with chicken infested and quick draw.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if there are any other spells like this (ones that I should be aware of from a roleplaying stand point, as my group tends to come up with interesting solutions to problems.)
    There are dozens. Scores. Perhaps hundreds? If you have two full-casters and a half-caster in your group (I assume the monk is a lawn ornament), the ability to think on your feet and react quickly to curve balls is pretty much mandatory.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Animal shapes. Do you have any good contacts in the regional Wealth Relocators guild? A crack team of mid-level rogues might jump at the chance to recon or infiltrate the place in force. High level casters tend to have really valuable stuff. They can enter as rats, scope the place out, and lurk until the fireworks start. While you guys are busy with the lich, they can handle minions and otherwise make off with a lot of valuables while the lich is busy.

Best scare I ever gave the PC's was them confronting an evil priest with the Animal domain. Leave now, or you shall all die... and the songbirds in the area all turned into assassins, surrounding the PC's. (The party won, but with 2 PC deaths.)
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    A dog only has 1 HD, or 2 HD for a riding dog. This means it cannot be polymorphed into anything with more than 1 or 2 HD. You could turn them into ponies, but not elephants.
    If you could hire a bard at a high enough level to use Inspire Greatness, he could give them enough bonus HD for you to turn them into black bears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You could try this the other way around: rather than turn small animals into large, turn large into small.

eg
    1 Turn a herd of elephants into mice.
    2 Place mice in bag.
    3 Throw bag into room.
    4 Dismiss the spell for all recipients.
    5 Profit!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Best scare I ever gave the PC's was them confronting an evil priest with the Animal domain. Leave now, or you shall all die... and the songbirds in the area all turned into assassins, surrounding the PC's. (The party won, but with 2 PC deaths.)
    I am stealing this.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show