Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Quick question about Battle Jump.

Is it a full-round action to do a battle jump? I don't have the text in front of me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quick question about Battle Jump.

Depends on how far you jump. It's the jump part of Battle Jump that determines how much time you spend doing it.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, here's the specific thing I want to do with it. It may not be possible, but the possibility is nagging at my brain.

Dervish dance, and use movement mastery and an obscene jump check to battle jump each attack.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AFAIK jumping is part of the move action so I think theorethically you could do a battle jump during the dervish dance
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

The dance, however, says you can't end the movement in the same square you started, so you have to do a horizontal jump instead of a vertical jump. This means you have to jump 20ft per attack tto qualify for battle jump. This is not viable against smaller than Huge characters, against enemies that aren't far enough apart, or even to allow a full attack since you burn your move action before getting to attack again.

Unless you can do an attack mid-air, but then you'd only Battle Jump half of your attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCracker View Post
    Well, here's the specific thing I want to do with it. It may not be possible, but the possibility is nagging at my brain.

Dervish dance, and use movement mastery and an obscene jump check to battle jump each attack.
    I am pretty sure you can do that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the number and arrangement of your enemies and the physical lay of the battlefield made the tactic unusable, or less effective than its theoretical maximum, in many fights.

That being said, being a dervish is all about being a leaping, jumping harbinger of death, so I support your goal.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I could actually get close to my current maximum. Level 11. Three attacks. And I don't twf. I two-hander power attack. The two-hander damage doubled would be way better than a single-handed attack.

Going to see if my DM allows this.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCracker View Post

I think that works, vertical movement would should count, as far as dervish dance is concerned, and as long as you can jump 5 feet

You could jump around someone, jumping 5 feet horizontally, leaving him still within reach. If they're medium or smaller, you could also just jump over them.
    Last edited by Starfols; 2010-07-14 at 03:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    I think that works, vertical movement would should count, as far as dervish dance is concerned, and as long as you can jump 5 feet

You could jump around someone, jumping 5 feet horizontally, leaving him still within reach. If they're medium or smaller, you could also just jump over them.
    The thing about jumping is that jumping vertically doesn't take you out of your square, and jumping horizontally puts you at the desired jumping height only halfways into a horizontal jump twice longer than tall.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

So basically, it's situational, but doable?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    The dance, however, says you can't end the movement in the same square you started, so you have to do a horizontal jump instead of a vertical jump. This means you have to jump 20ft per attack tto qualify for battle jump. This is not viable against smaller than Huge characters, against enemies that aren't far enough apart, or even to allow a full attack since you burn your move action before getting to attack again.

Unless you can do an attack mid-air, but then you'd only Battle Jump half of your attacks.
    Not at all, this is dervish dance after all. You don't even have a move action to spend, you are doing a full-attack while moving your speed and you must attack before each 5-foot step. I'd say it's completly doable; you just a very, very high Speed to pull this of.

Nice find!