New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Arcane bond (pathfinder)

im playing a wizard in a pathfinder game and im not sure what to go with

i was thinking of eather a raven familar and having it take UMD so i have an extra spell per turn

the other is a staff for the benefits of the spell and the ability to make it in to a good item as i level

what one of these seems more worth it

im plan to take many item crafting feats if this makes a deference

please help

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Arcane bond (pathfinder)

Both are good.

Bear in mind that you won't be able to use Arcane Bond to enchant your staff until you're level 11+ (since Craft Staff requires you to be level 11+). The main use of Arcane Bond is the free spell 1/day.

A UMDing familiar is always nice, too, but unless your DM allows custom items you'll have trouble getting to the +19 bonus that you need to reliably activate a wand until you're quite high level.

So either have their points, but they'll both take a while to get good.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Arcane bond (pathfinder)

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Both are good.

Bear in mind that you won't be able to use Arcane Bond to enchant your staff until you're level 11+ (since Craft Staff requires you to be level 11+). The main use of Arcane Bond is the free spell 1/day.

A UMDing familiar is always nice, too, but unless your DM allows custom items you'll have trouble getting to the +19 bonus that you need to reliably activate a wand until you're quite high level.

So either have their points, but they'll both take a while to get good.
    i mainly was just going to use the raven to add spell i cant case at low level
    and spell i dont have time to cast example
    i cast shield he casts bark skin next turn i cast ray of frost he cast mage armor

so if that changes anything......

mainly im just wondering with scroll and such do i need the staff and with quicken spell on my lower level spells do i need the familiar? seeing as how it will only get lower level spells anyway?
    Last edited by Prax4788; 2010-07-15 at 05:17 AM.