New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Derro Sorcerer.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Derro Sorcerer.

OK, as some of you may know, my Derro originally had 1 Wisdom, which was unacceptable. So, I rerolled him with my DM's permission, and here are the new stats:

STR: 11
    DEX: 17
    CON: 16
    INT: 17
    WIS: 7
    CHA: 24

Obviously this is a vast improvement, but the -2 WIS is still a slight concern to me. Whilst not being incredibly low, it will obviously still impact the character.

The character is a CE sadistic psychopath, has a superiority complex, is completely insane, loves to torture people to death, delights in the pain of others, and he once kicked a puppy (The rest of the stuff was fine, but the puppy was to make him PROPER evil ).

How would you, oh wise and powerful playgrounders, envision this playing out? (Envision, such a lovely word... Got a very woody sound to it...)
    Last edited by Scarey Nerd; 2010-07-15 at 11:54 AM.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Derro Sorcerer.

Force of Personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    Force of Personality.
    Force of personality, and force of knives...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, 7 Wisdom is just a bit lower than "average" if I'm remembering correctly, so it shouldn't impact things too much. He'd probably fail to think things completely through from time to time, and he'll be a bit less attentive than most people. But otherwise I can't really see a 7 Wis really impacting how he plays very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yup, poor impulse control, impatience and a quickness to resort to force...those seem like good starting places.

I'm assuming that the other players are prepared for this kind of character? Otherwise, there could be serious problems.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Post Re: Derro Sorcerer.

To be fair you do have 24 cha for a sorcerer whcih is silly for a character with only one level in a class. also arn't derro's supposed to have low Wis? so surely you should just act as they would? Arn't they just crazy running around killing things for fun? If so with the 7 wis you would be kinda quick to act with out thinking things through just so you could cause some PAIN DAH PAIN!
    Last edited by Sarquion; 2010-07-15 at 01:02 PM.
    Me as a D&D character (in the spoiler).
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Many thanks to Bradakhan for making the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sarquion View Post
    To be fair you do have 24 cha for a sorcerer whcih is silly for a character with only one level in a class. also arn't derro's supposed to have low Wis? so surely you should just act as they would? Arn't they just crazy running around killing things for lols? if so with the 7 wis you would be kinda quick to act with out thinking things through just so you could cause some PAIN DAH PAIN!
    So I should act like this ----> ?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

hell yeah you should. Thats what i meant by ARRGH DAHH
    Me as a D&D character (in the spoiler).
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Many thanks to Bradakhan for making the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9

Goblin

Isn't there a Dwarf Sorcerer racial substitution level that uses Constitution instead of Charisma?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    Isn't there a Dwarf Sorcerer racial substitution level that uses Constitution instead of Charisma?
    That sub level gives you a bonus to your charisma score equal to your con bonus to determine spells per day.
    Please read and evaluate the changes I'm trying to smooth out in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154036

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Derro are racially notated as "unstable" in the best lighting. Dangerously unpredictable would probably be closer, with destructively insane probably the closest to the mark.

If you want to play on a cruel streak, a focus on Fell Draining metamagic tainted blasting is a pretty interesting path to follow. Fell Draining is in Libris Mortis, and provided a foe takes at least 1 damage from a spell, they gain a negative level, no save. This is commonly paired up with the 0th level SpC spell Sonic Snap, a no-save, no-attack 1 point sonic damage spell, only affected by SR, and with Magic Missile to drain up to 5 targets. Draining someone of their life energy is a rather evil, cruel thing to do, and something that this type of character would be giddy to perform.

And yes there is such an ACF, but its only for spell/day, not DCs, and his Cha is already WAY higher than his Con.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12

There's also a feat for dealing vile damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I second Keld's suggestion, with the addendum that you can use Acid Splash against foes with SR.

I have had an idea for a Fell caster that casts Invisible Fell Draining Wall of [Energy] spells. I love the idea of someone just running throughstuck in an invisible Wall of FireAcid Fog.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2010-07-15 at 02:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I second Keld's suggestion, with the addendum that you can use Acid Splash against foes with SR.

I have had an idea for a Fell caster that casts Invisible Fell Draining Wall of [Energy] spells. I love the idea of someone just running throughstuck in an invisible Wall of FireAcid Fog.
    Get a dungeon crashiung fighter as a party member or cohort to double the fun

(practical metamagic: fell draining is another option to consider
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC