New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Rules Clarification on Hunter of the Dead PrC

As a 5th level ability, the Hunter of the Dead PrC gains the ability to permanently kill any undead when they deliver the finishing blow.

So, does this class feature, obviously designed for a ghost's rejuvenation ability, also work against a vampire's fog cloud return to his coffin to heal and a lich's phylactery?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Clarification on Hunter of the Dead PrC

I'd say, at the very least, the vampire is not dead as a fog cloud, so it would not work there. Have no idea on the lich though.
    Binders are just hipster clerics
    Party member - "What god do you worship?"
    Binder - "He died like 1000 years ago, you've probably never heard of him" *sips coffee*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viking_Mage View Post
    As a 5th level ability, the Hunter of the Dead PrC gains the ability to permanently kill any undead when they deliver the finishing blow.

So, does this class feature, obviously designed for a ghost's rejuvenation ability, also work against a vampire's fog cloud return to his coffin to heal and a lich's phylactery?
    I wouldn't say it's obviously meant just for ghosts, as it wouldn't get the ability if returning from the dead wasn't iconic for undead (and more than just one type). It says that they're permenantly destroyed and never able to rise as undead again, so if I used it on an undead creature and saw it rise as undead again (including both vampires and liches), I would probably consider that unfair. Still, like all things, it's totally up to the DM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a DM I'd rule that it worked on any undead except those with a phylactery, since the phylactery is the house of the creature's soul, but in all other cases the soul is present in the creature itself (with some possible obscure exceptions- I seem to recall some sort of undead knight that keeps his soul in his sword).

But yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work against vampires, ghosts, etc.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2010-07-16 at 08:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If the ability didn't work on Vampires or Liches, I would say that it is relatively useless. IMHO, it should work on any undead, including Ghosts, Vampires and Liches. It's really the only ability the PrC gets that sets it significantly apart from a Cleric or Paladin...to nerf it to only work on Ghosts would make the PrC fairly unappealing. I mean, it is called Hunter of the Dead, not just Ghost Slayer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    I seem to recall some sort of undead knight that keeps his soul in his sword
    That's how the 4E Death Knight works. I don't think there was anything similar in 3.5e.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    That's how the 4E Death Knight works. I don't think there was anything similar in 3.5e.
    Ah, yeah that's it. I had a player who became a death knight during the brief amount of time I DM'd 4e (the first year it was out).