New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better monk?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Better monk?

So one of my co-players wants to play a... monk. Which, I think, is going to mess with things horribly. The idea she wants I think is a former thief turned from her thieving ways (hence her rejection of rogue as too trickery-based for her liking). Any better suggestions for her? All sources allowed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Better monk?

Unarmed varient Swordsage? I think that's what's normally the 1st thing suggested in these circumstances...
    Avatar by Sneak (a long, long time ago)

What Hayley Said

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Homebrew? There's a ton of 'monk fixes'itP. Otherwise... uh... is it Gestalt? That's the best way to get good mileage out of Monk. Druid x//Monk2, something better x, possibly Cleric.

Otherwise Unarmed Swordsage.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00by View Post
    Unarmed varient Swordsage? I think that's what's normally the 1st thing suggested in these circumstances...
    Will look at it. I don't think weapons are an issue if I understand her character concept, actually she'd probably prefer to be swinging a sword than her fists.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Cherokee would let their children burn themselves on camp fires in order for the children to learn firsthand the danger of fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Will look at it. I don't think weapons are an issue if I understand her character concept, actually she'd probably prefer to be swinging a sword than her fists.
    In that case, Cleric all the way. Or just re-fluff something. Anything.
    My games:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    In that case, Cleric all the way. Or just re-fluff something. Anything.
    Oh that's her other limitation. Not at all a magic-user. Just no.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The homebrew monk in my sig?
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You could always just buff them.

One thing I like to do with my monks is the following:

Flurry of Blows:

Allows the monk to add an additional attack to.
    If he uses flurry of blows as a standard action, he gets an extra attack and -2 on both attacks.
    If he uses flurry of blows as a full round action, he gets an extra attack and no penalties.

At Level 5th its -0 on standard and +2 on full at level 9 its +2 on standard and +4 on full and on level 11 its two attacks, which add +5, so basically full base attack.

Or just use the one from the sig above. Waaaaaaay better, same principle tho.
    Last edited by Panigg; 2010-07-16 at 04:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

She wants a rogue that isn't stealing. She just has to play a rogue that doesn't steal.

Otherwise a swordsage will do. Or warblade. Or crusader. Or fighter. Or Ninja. Or Knight. Or Marshal.

Or any freaking thing.
    All we know is what she isn't. What is she?
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-07-16 at 04:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    She wants a rogue that isn't stealing. She just has to play a rogue that doesn't steal.
    This. It's really easy to build a rogue around pumping out damage, as opposed to building a stealthy thief that serves no real purpose in combat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Otherwise a swordsage will do. Or warblade. Or crusader. Or fighter. Or Ninja. Or Knight. Or Marshal.

Or any freaking thing.
    All we know is what she isn't. What is she?
    Personally I think she's a rogue. But she doesn't like that.

What she is is a now good aligned drow (none of that, the drow in our world are all good aligned...has to do with our previous incarnations breaking part of the foundations of reality...). Very strong sense of honor, more of a melee fighter but also a skillmonkey. Specializes in a light-and-quick fighting style.

13. - Top - End - #13

What she is is a now good aligned drow (none of that, the drow in our world are all good aligned...has to do with our previous incarnations breaking part of the foundations of reality...). Very strong sense of honor, more of a melee fighter but also a skillmonkey. Specializes in a light-and-quick fighting style.
    Light, fast melee unit with skills? Sounds like a rogue to me! If she absolutely refuses, and high power isn't a concern, see if you can get Scout (CAdv) to pass instead. It does the same noncombat job and is more about mobility than tactics, but Sneak Attack is generally much better than Skirmish.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Swordsage?
    What she is is a now good aligned drow (none of that, the drow in our world are all good aligned...has to do with our previous incarnations breaking part of the foundations of reality...).
    Swordsage?
    Very strong sense of honor,
    Swordsage?
    more of a melee fighter
    Swordsage?
    but also a skillmonkey.
    Swordsage?
    Specializes in a light-and-quick fighting style.
    Swordsage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Recommended she look at swordsage, will see what she says.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Desert Wind has a lot of really good mobility maneuvers, along with some decent, albeit [Fire] based damage boosts. Tiger Claw also has some mobility with Sudden Leap and Pouncing Charge. Diamond Mind has Bounding Assault, and almost all strikes, being standard actions, work with a move in + hit, or hit + move out role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

17. - Top - End - #17

Rogue/swashbuckler with daring outlaw might work. It has a bit of rogue but no ones going to force her to go around stealing stuff.

18. - Top - End - #18

+1 for swordsage. It's just what the doctor ordered (or the player, as the case may be).
    Last edited by Tar Palantir; 2010-07-16 at 05:17 PM.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Rogue/swashbuckler with daring outlaw might work. It has a bit of rogue but no ones going to force her to go around stealing stuff.
    Yeah, but if she's all "NO,NO,NO,NO,NO ROUGE. NUH-UH." then we've got to think of something else. I'd second Scout or possibly Ranger. Homebrew trading out ranger casting for a bonus feat whenever she'd get a new spell level, and take Swift Hunter feat from CAdv or CScound (never can remember).

EDIT: If she's a new player, I'd shy away from Swordsage a little. It's a great fit and fun to play, but she doesn't want to be a caster, and she seems newbie-ish.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2010-07-16 at 05:21 PM.
    My games:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Pray she doesn't see the Shadow Hand discipline.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Recommended she look at swordsage, will see what she says.
    if she doesnt like ToB, i would suggest she look into scout.

if she wants someone who does extra damage without having to move 10 feet, i would actually suggest spellthief, even though she doesnt want to be a magic user. she could always steal other people's spells and blow them up in their face. most people i know that dont like being a mage is because they dont want to have to pick spells and then be stuck with them (whether its for a day like a wizard or until they can retrain their spells like a sorc)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    Yeah, but if she's all "NO,NO,NO,NO,NO ROUGE. NUH-UH." then we've got to think of something else. I'd second Scout or possibly Ranger. Homebrew trading out ranger casting for a bonus feat whenever she'd get a new spell level, and take Swift Hunter feat from CAdv or CScound (never can remember).

EDIT: If she's a new player, I'd shy away from Swordsage a little. It's a great fit and fun to play, but she doesn't want to be a caster, and she seems newbie-ish.
    Not sure about newbie-ish as much as very very strong RP-over-power in a fairly optimized group.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Then remind her that just because the class says "Rogue", doesn't mean she should be "Thief".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Failing swordsage, you could try my monk.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Then remind her that just because the class says "Rogue", doesn't mean she should be "Thief".
    Aye; Rogue covers a wide variety of archetypes. The widest out of the PHB-classes, perhaps. Basically every mundane skilled character (that isn't a Ranger) is a Rogue. Warrior, thief, guard, you name it, Rogue does it. There's more to the name than that.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

26. - Top - End - #26

Here's an odd idea: Convince your DM that Ascetic Rogue does let Monk and Rogue stack for Sneak Attack. Then, have here go rogue 1/Monk x. Not great, but slightly better than a crappy Monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Factotum can work too, using Knowledge Devotion, Iaijutsu Focus, or just plain using the Font of Inspiration feat over and over until she has Int to everything forever, or a heap of extra standard actions. It can be magical if she likes but Factotum is also just good enough at melee to slip by without using magic (and is the best at skills).
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Factotum (already said, but it deserves a look)

Wildshape ranger? or standard ranger is wildshape is too much magic.
    No one needs more wildshapers

Unarmed swordsage has already been said too

Barbarian, refluffed slightly, someone who doesn't wear heavy armor, who gets angry about theives but has no formal education... its perfect, just take feats that mitigate the lost power from rogue attributes, unless you just stat for barbarian and run with it
    Last edited by fryplink; 2010-07-16 at 07:42 PM.
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

29. - Top - End - #29

I, for once, would suggest Daring Outlaw, as mentioned above.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fryplink View Post
    Factotum (already said, but it deserves a look)

Wildshape ranger? or standard ranger is wildshape is too much magic.

Unarmed swordsage has already been said too

Barbarian, refluffed slightly, someone who doesn't wear heavy armor, who gets angry about theives but has no formal education... its perfect, just take feats that mitigate the lost power from rogue attributes, unless you just stat for barbarian and run with it
    Hey! Wildshaping is MY job around here! My little anthro bat self is the only one that's allowed to turn into bears!