New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default My brain will explode if...

I can't figure out which of the following to do:
    Make an all dwarf campaign
    OR
    Make an all-kobold campaign

I just 'finished' a game of dwarf fortress (OMGBESTGAMEEVER) and a game of kobolds quest and I gotta say, I loved them both. I think I may have understood dwarf fortress faster than any other human alive, due simply to randomly going through every button and writing everything down.

Now, I need to decide whether to make an all dwarf campaign based off of a group of dwarves doing missions for the ruler of their fortress (and ecountering the dwarf fortress style of horror and hilarity along the way) or one of a group off kobolds going on missions to help protect their cave and dealing with the cruelty of the larger folk.

Any preferences from the people?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: My brain will explode if...

a goblin mob game is also a rather fun type of game. basically, run it as some sort of modified gestalt where each player is a mob of goblins and each goblin in the mob contributes class levels to the "pc"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Yes, I know what those are and they are fun, but I wants ta know if I should do kobold or dwarf!
    EDIT: DAMN NINJA PRINNY! The above comment was about gob mobs.
    I'll take a few more votes before I decide, for I like the idea of a group of killa kobolds turning the tables.
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-07-16 at 11:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote kobolds. Why? Because kobolds are awesome. If you can locate/borrow/glance at a copy, you should read the write-up for kobolds in Races of the Dragon. Trust me, reading that will solve your problem immediately.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I can just imagine a team of kobolds disarming traps and using them againt the enemy, or putting scorpions in their slings.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'd suggest dwarves. I've seen at least one pbp all kobold game, but I don't think I've seen any all dwarf games.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Okay. Unless the next vote is for kobolds, it's a dwarf game.

9. - Top - End - #9

Dwarves...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobolds, Because only Kobolds trap everything.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

As a kobold fan, I gotta go with kobolds, because tiny, pathetic lizards fighting against monsters and winning is the best mental image ever.

But yeah, I haven't heard of a all dwarf game, an all elf game could also be fun, as long as it's 'holier than thou' elves, who constantly berate everyone of their non-elf enemies.
    Last edited by Touchy; 2010-07-16 at 11:49 PM.
    Hey people, I can see you signed your name. You don't need to do this. I can see it on the side, right above your avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Dwarves, unless it's the fuzzy orange kobolds, in which case it should be PVP dwarves and kobolds.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Dwarves!!!!!!
    Suppose you start your game in a tavern that is circular and evenly lit. Where do the PCs sit?

Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Draconium- Darus
    Vampire2948's Sandbox- Jayel
    Treasures of the Lower Underdark- Zerith

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobolds.

Kobolds lay eggs, thus you could have a big guarded chamber full of eggs while all the kobolds go about their business. Plus, Kobolds are related to dragons, one shot of a Polymorph any Object should be able to turn a kobold permanently into a dragon... or at least have it last several hours. It still should be easier to turn a kobold into a dragon than to turn a dwarf into anything even remotely as cool (except maybe trolls or something).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Kobolds.

Kobolds lay eggs, thus you could have a big guarded chamber full of eggs while all the kobolds go about their business. Plus, Kobolds are related to dragons, one shot of a Polymorph any Object should be able to turn a kobold permanently into a dragon... or at least have it last several hours. It still should be easier to turn a kobold into a dragon than to turn a dwarf into anything even remotely as cool (except maybe trolls or something).
    Actually it takes just one feat to change kobolds into dragons (the feat in question is Dragonwrought found in Races of the Dragon)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I actually have to say Kolbods, because a militant race of small framed lizards using guerrilla tactics in tunnels and winning is to awesome. Also, Tuckers Kolbods come to mind. -http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

Dwarfs are indeed epic and all, not to mention Manliness Incarnate. However, Kolbods represent intelligence. Intelligence always wins in the battlefield ;]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Make it a Dwarf campaign with Kobolds as the enemies. Perhaps you could make it a short adventure, and have the next one be one where the players play Kobolds that fight against Dwarves (possibly including relatives and friends of their previous Dwarf PCs).
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NelKor View Post
    Kobolds, Because only Kobolds trap everything.
    Somebody hasn't played Dwarf Fortress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobolds. Any small-anything campaign is awesome because of Swarmfighting. A gang of spear-wielding kobolds with Wolfpack, Formation Expert and Swarmfighting is too great an opportunity to pass up. Especially since they can wield tiny spears one-handed with no penalty.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Go All Dwarf. I've been itching to play an all dwarf game
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Especially since they can wield tiny spears one-handed with no penalty.
    I believe they still take a penalty either for using a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a weapon of inappropriate size. If you are using slight build in a way to get around that, you're applying it to wielding weapons in two different ways, as far as I can tell, and that's just weird.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Just a note, I WILL NOT BE USING ANY FEATS OR ABILITIES OUTSIDE OF THE CORE BOOKS!

Lemme just let that sink in a minute for everyone...
    EDIT: I just did a recount, and I didn't count any of the vague answers or replies without a vote, and I got:
    Dorfs:7
    Cutebolds:6
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-07-17 at 10:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I vote Dorfs, just because they are awesomer.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Alright.
    I was gonna do this according to tennis rules, where the first person to be two ahead and get to four won. Then, I went to bed and everything got mixed up.
    Dwarves are now past four, and two ahead, so DORFS IT IS!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Sheraton View Post
    I believe they still take a penalty either for using a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a weapon of inappropriate size. If you are using slight build in a way to get around that, you're applying it to wielding weapons in two different ways, as far as I can tell, and that's just weird.
    Slight Build lets you wield weapons made for creatures of one size category smaller than you at no penalty. Weapons too small for you decreases the effort of wielding them from Two-handed to one-handed to light, and there is no additional penalty that needs avoiding from this part of it. The weapon is being wielded in one way and in what is likely the intended use of Sleight Build to begin with. What's the second way you think I'm applying it to?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-07-17 at 11:39 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

26. - Top - End - #26

I say Dwarf game. Load it with Dwarf Fortress quirks. The capital of the Dwarven empire is built around Planepacked.

I should play Dwarf Fortress again. Still pretty new to the game.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you've gone Dorf. Cool, cool. I think you're honour-bound to have NPC Cutebolds involved too. Calling them enemies is probably a bit of a stretch, but certainly they should be a presence.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Oh hell yes there will be cutebolds.
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-07-17 at 08:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Slight Build lets you wield weapons made for creatures of one size category smaller than you at no penalty. Weapons too small for you decreases the effort of wielding them from Two-handed to one-handed to light, and there is no additional penalty that needs avoiding from this part of it. The weapon is being wielded in one way and in what is likely the intended use of Sleight Build to begin with. What's the second way you think I'm applying it to?
    It doesn't really matter in this case: the only difference between a Tiny spear and a Small shortspear for the kobold is that the spear costs 1 gp more.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    a goblin mob game is also a rather fun type of game. basically, run it as some sort of modified gestalt where each player is a mob of goblins and each goblin in the mob contributes class levels to the "pc"
    My thought process was totally different, I am gonna try to run a campaign where the goblins are the Mob, as in the Mafia now.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995