New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default What time is it? ADVETURE TIME!

Does anyone have any module recommendations (3.5 D&D) that capture the essence of the show "Adventure Time with Jake and Finn"?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What time is it? ADVETURE TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Does anyone have any module recommendations (3.5 D&D) that capture the essence of the show "Adventure Time with Jake and Finn"?
    Sure. Pick up a copy of BESM 3e and play out of the box.

EDIT: Alternate suggestions: Risus and Thousand Blank White Cards.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    Sure. Pick up a copy of BESM 3e and play out of the box.

EDIT: Alternate suggestions: Risus and Thousand Blank White Cards.
    Umm, did the whole "D&D 3.5" thing completely fly over your head?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    In his defense, it's in character for the complete randomness of the setting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Tomb of Horrors.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

3.5 is entirely the wrong system if you want an Adventure Time styled, pre-written game. Might not even work if you do it from scratch.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Then let me rephrase my question. Are there any modules that reward "balls first" style adventuring and punish tedious over-planning?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Take any standard DND adventure. . . Cast magic "DMFIAT?SOMEHOWPLOT RELEVANT THINGY" over said Dungeon. . .

For every 8 hour rest period they take. . . increase the DC's of the rest of the dungeon by 2. . . trust me . . your party will learn to move faster.
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

9. - Top - End - #9

Then let me rephrase my question. Are there any modules that reward "balls first" style adventuring and punish tedious over-planning?
    None as far as I'm aware. All of the one's I've ever looked at make you die if you go in "balls first" without stopping to think ahead. Of course, it would be pretty funny to watch a group of PCs go through the Tomb of Horrors that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that's more of a DM thing. If your stuff is made to trap & trick, then over-planning is rewarded while running in gets you killed. If your stuff is made to surprise and fight, then running in is rewarded with surprise rounds and such, while over-planning causes boringness.

I once did the later for a party that expected the former. I couldn't get them to drop their unfounded paranoia... All their checks wound up doing was spoiling surprises. Not, like, trap-surprises... Like, "This mountain range we're adventuring in the caverns of is actually a primordial in a coma!" type of surprises. It was D&D 4th ed, which I know is not what you're looking for, but I'm sure the same sort of reasoning applies to older editions.

My current 4e group doesn't over-think things. We don't even check doors for traps unless there's a reason to. Being a door is not a reason to. I find it quite fun.

My DM has nicknamed the group Legends of Wrestling III after we lept off a ledge, grabbed flying enemies and rammed them into the ground to break our falls. (We had been doing other similar things up to that point.)
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-17 at 08:42 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsGrnEyes View Post
    Take any standard DND adventure. . . Cast magic "DMFIAT?SOMEHOWPLOT RELEVANT THINGY" over said Dungeon. . .

For every 8 hour rest period they take. . . increase the DC's of the rest of the dungeon by 2. . . trust me . . your party will learn to move faster.
    I tried something similar by having a dungeon with a cold temprature (fortitude saves every hour or take 1d6 points of damage) but it would be kind of cheap if I did that for every one in either a volcano or a glacier, lighting a fire under there asses. Basically I want a module that will teach them to take risks to get rewards rather than overthinking every door and floor tile.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Let them chase a running target. Nothing says speed up like the goal trying to get away. Have the BBEG moving away and leaving groups of minions behind to kill / slow anyone following.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Hmm... Have them chased by a monster that moves slowly?
    Or have the wall slowly start to crush them in in certain situations.

Something like a Juggernaut following them through the whole dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

14. - Top - End - #14

Just have a villain yell "In twenty five minutes, I will destroy the town and there's nothing you can do! Muhahahaha!"
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Make it a rule that every PC must be created chaotic neutral.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Almost all of them. Just make sure they have some sort of time constraint, or tack one on.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    Missed it the first time. Could've sworn it said any modules without the parenthesis. Seeing as two of those options are free and less than 10 pages long (although, one's not even an RPG but could probably do it better do to how its done and its reward for "most random player wins"), I don't really see the problem though.

It's been said multiple times by multiple people (myself included). Seeing the effort it takes to convert D&D to something it typically isn't, it's honestly easier and often more cost efficient to just learn a system that DOES do what you want right. D&D can do some pretty wacky stuff, but it doesn't typically sponsor an "Adventure Time" feel.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Set something on an insane plane of existence. Literally, if they plan something out logically, it WILL be wrong. The only way to progress is to literally just go with the flow, immerse yourself, and/or make stuff up.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Any dungeon in DND can be played the super overplaning way, or the on the fly go with it way. Really it's a difference in playstyle that is mostly up to the party not the dungeon. Edit: The module doesnt exist because the module is a framework, it's the DM's job to create the motivations that would keep a party moving.
    One option is to get them to spend ONE session planing out a default plan that they will use when certain things come up and then they wont have to plan it when those things do come up cause they will already have a plan in place. This sometimes works, it sometimes doesnt.

I think you're best answer to get people to stop over planning in any particular game, is to prevent it every time they try.

Some Exaples:

Party: okay we're going to stop here and plan what we're going to do next/do some shopping

GM: manticore charges out of the woods and attacks. (later all shops are closed after scary manticore attack)

Or

Party: we need to rest we'll stop here

Gm: the only person who needs rest is the wizard, and it's only midday

Party: yeah we need the wizard to be top notch.

GM: (roll a dice to make it look offical, wince a little for dramatics) It starts hailing, everyones rest is interupted. there is lightnight too. it's gonna last the rest of the day and through the night. you'll need to make fort saves to even TRY to get rest every hour. if you make 8 in a row you can count as rested.

Or

Party: okay! lets plan out how we're gonna approach this obviously trapped plot important door.

Gm: give them 10 minutes to actually plan, that's not an outrageous amount when looking at a significant trap in a dungeon. after that, backup traps start going off. (IE: weight sensor in the floor was slowly triggered, Timer that they set of when they went through the last door ran out, Monster that's been following them without their knowledge since they entered the dungeon catches up etc.)

Eventually they will learn to just discuss things they need to go over as they go, cause every time they try to stop the whole game to plan they get interupted with crap that just gets in their way. This may mean that you will be throwing more than the usual amount of monsters/circumstances at them for a little while, but dont worry they will either learn, or you will have a blast thinking up creative ways to keep them moving. probably both.
    Last edited by ShadowsGrnEyes; 2010-07-18 at 11:28 AM.
    RAMS > RAI > RAW