New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Suggest a feat?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Suggest a feat?

Character: Human Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Duelist 10. About to hit 18th level. Wondering if anyone has a good feat suggestion.

I already have Dodge, Mobility, Daring Outlaw, Proficiency (Whip), Chaos Domain, Deadly Defense, and Einhander.

Craven is not allowed unless the PC is evil; I am not. (GM ruling.)

Most books OK, no Tome of Battle. Any suggestions appreciated, I never really expected to have to fill this feat slot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Suggest a feat?

Travel Devotion or Trickery Devotion (both from CC) are great for a character of this level.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Character: Human Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Duelist 10. About to hit 18th level. Wondering if anyone has a good feat suggestion.
    Staggering Strike (Complete Adventurer). Every time you sneak attack a creature, Fort save DC = damage or they are staggered for one round.

Undo Resistance (Fiendish Codex II). Requires a cold iron weapon, but every time you hit a creature with spell resistance, it reduces SR by 1. Which doesn't really do you any good, but should make any spellcasters in the party really happy.

Planar Touchstone (Planar Handbook) linked to Oxyrhynchus. Anytime you full attack someone that's flat-footed, you get an extra attack at BAB -5.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

See the rogue handbook (sig) for some feat suggestions.

However, limiting Craven to evil is just stupid. There's nothing evil about being a coward, or about attacking vulnerable areas (or else all rogues would be evil). I could see an argument for limiting it to non-lawful (though even that's flimsy), but limiting it to evil is just downright idiotic.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Their group doesn't seem very optimized, so I can see where they're coming from. I agree that it's a somewhat ridiculous limitation, Craven isn't even that strong, but it's the GM's ruling. Although he really just should've said, "you can't take the feat".

I also fully endorse taking Travel Devotion. Staggering Strike isn't terrible either, but if you can, go for Travel Devotion, great for melee fighters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post

Most books OK, no Tome of Battle. Any suggestions appreciated, I never really expected to have to fill this feat slot!
    How about Spring Attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that Craven may be two powerful for certain tables, but the DM should definitely just ban it rather than soft-banning it like this. Limiting Craven to evil alignments (and not doing the same to rogues in general) just makes no sense in any context.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    How about Spring Attack?
    Not a great feat unless you've Hide in Plain Sight. Admittedly, he does have the prereqs for it already, but still, being limited to a single attack in one round leads to extremely low damage, especially when he's sacrificed so many rogue levels already.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Not a great feat unless you've Hide in Plain Sight. Admittedly, he does have the prereqs for it already, but still, being limited to a single attack in one round leads to extremely low damage, especially when he's sacrificed so many rogue levels already.
    If he picked up Combat Reflexes, he could go into Shadow Dancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    If he picked up Combat Reflexes, he could go into Shadow Dancer.
    OR just advance rogue or swashbuckler. Honestly shadow dancer might not offer him much.

Honestly for feat suggestions refer to PId6s' rogue handbook. Very well built and proof read by the GITP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Why not combat expertise? It will help with deadly defense and if you get a bonus feat from a PrC you can go improved trip or disarm to work with the whip

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

If you fight evil a lot, consider sacred strike. It would get you a damage boost to d8's for evil creatures and allow you sneak attack non-lethaly without penelty with any weapon. It is in BoED.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Vexing or adaptable flanker might be good.
    Last edited by 23minds; 2010-07-18 at 02:58 PM.