New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Looking for a +1 LA template [3.5]

I'm building a non-psionic thri-kreen character for a high-level game, and I've got enough XP to buy off a +1 level adjustment acquired template. I just can't find one that will work for the character.

The build's mostly Ranger going into Dervish, with a Rogue dip for sneak attack.
    • Mineral Warrior is LA +1, but it removes the ability to fly. The only way to actually get enough movement to use up all the Dervish Dance scimitar attacks with all 4 arms was to get wings that work at 2x land speed and fly just above the ground. Those come from the Unseelie Fey template (at LA +0, just impossible to resist).
    • Lolth-Touched, since it provides immunity to fear, would disallow Craven, which (since it isn't damage from dice) contributes substantially to damage multipliable on a critical hit. With a 15-20 threat range from Improved Critical (scimitar), Dervish Dance and flight providing the ability to make a circuit of multiple flanking positions repeatedly, and mondo attacks: that's going to be a lot.
    • Feral almost would have worked (applying it before Unseelie Fey, as it will work on monstrous humanoids but not fey), but it also changes the favored class to Barbarian, which wouldn't allow multiple base classes (Ranger, Rogue) because of the huge multiclassing penalties to XP.

I'm hoping somewhere in some Dragon issue there's a useful +1 LA template that will do something for this character. Any help here, playgrounders?

P.S.: Just to avoid going down some blind alleys regarding the Rogue dip:
    • Magic isn't going to be able to supply sneak attack. The character's designed to function in combat without (almost) any magic. Just a bunch of Antimagic Torcs so enemies will be forced to work entirely without magic, too.
    • There's just no way the build can free up 2 feats for Martial Study and Martial Stance. Without magic (like keen weapon enhancements) I need feats to compensate (like Improved Critical).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a +1 LA template [3.5]

Would you be interested in large bonuses to hiding and the ability to Hide in Plain Sight? The Dark Template in Tome of Magic might work for you. It also increases the movement speed of all your modes of movement by 10... which I think would actually improve your fly speed by 30ft total because of your flight's dependency on landspeed.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-07-18 at 12:53 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Feral is inherited anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The only thing I was able to come up with was the Fire Souled Template from Dragon 314. (I was looking at it on Crystalkeep, so forgive me if the LA is off. They are bad about mixing up CR and LA.) Cha+4, and Morale Bonus to 'allies' on saves vs. fear and charm, attacks, and skills. Looks like it is an aura ability, like the Marshal's, but I'm not sure from the reading whether you apply as an ally. (There is also a haste ability, but I'm guessing it is a SLA, and thus useless to this charachter.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Lolth-touched MM4 could work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps a single level in a Savage Progression might work? Half-Dragon gives +2 Str, +2 Int, +2 NA, and some other bonuses. Half-Fiend gives +2 Dex, +1 NA, some SLAs, and outsider type.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought Unseelie Fey was errata'ed to be LA +1…

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I second the Dark template

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Dark from ToM grants +10' movement speed, Hide in Plain sight, and several other minor bonuses. It may not be great, but it's better than nothing, and Dervish Dance never minds extra speed.

Edit:

So, yeah. Right. Thirded.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2010-07-18 at 01:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Would you be interested in large bonuses to hiding and the ability to Hide in Plain Sight? The Dark Template in Tome of Magic might work for you.
    I think we have a winner! I don't know why I overlooked this one, even if the Hide in Plain Sight is the weakest of all such abilities. The speed boost is worthwhile. Thanks, FMArthur.
    Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    The only thing I was able to come up with was the Fire Souled Template from Dragon 314.
    That's LA +3, so no good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    Lolth-touched MM4 could work.
    No, it couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by FirebirdFlying View Post
    I thought Unseelie Fey was errata'ed to be LA +1…
    Nope. They changed the CR, not LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Compendium Errata
    Unseelie Fey: Replace “beast” with “plant” for the summer caress ability.
    Add line, “Challenge Rating: As base creature +1”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    [*]Feral almost would have worked (applying it before Unseelie Fey, as it will work on monstrous humanoids but not fey), but it also changes the favored class to Barbarian, which wouldn't allow multiple base classes (Ranger, Rogue) because of the huge multiclassing penalties to XP.
    I didn't know any DMs actually used multiclass XP penalties and favoured class rules.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2010-07-18 at 02:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    I didn't know any DMs actually used multiclass XP penalties and favoured class rules.
    Some clearly do, I don't see why you should naturally assume that something you don't like has been houseruled away in every game.
    BEEP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    All the ones I know do. Perhaps it's because they also played/DM'd in RPGA games, where this (like other rules) was strictly enforced.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

White Dragonspawn? I think it's either MMIV or MMV. It's the only LA+1 Dragonspawn. Necropolitan combined with a few Evolved Undead (Libris Mortis) could do too. Best thing is Necropolitan doesn't have LA, you just lose a level but gain bonuses as undead, so maybe you could do that in combo with Evolved Undead.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Necropolitan combined with a few Evolved Undead (Libris Mortis) could do too. Best thing is Necropolitan doesn't have LA, you just lose a level but gain bonuses as undead
    The thing is, I get to buy off an additional +1 level adjustment, so a template would be "free". But a lost level is just a loss.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

There are multiple templates called Dragonspawn, but the only one that ever generally worth mentioning is the White Dragonspawn from the Dragonlance campaign setting, which is atrociously good.

+2 Con, +2 Dex, Natural Flight, and another ability that would make this an overpowered LA+1 template if it was the only ability offered, and then several other minor abilities.

It's a bit over the top, honestly.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2010-07-18 at 06:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    There are multiple templates called Dragonspawn, but the only one that ever generally worth mentioning is the White Dragonspawn from the Dragonlance campaign setting, which is atrociously good.

+2 Con, +2 Dex, Natural Flight, and another ability that would make this an overpowered LA+1 template if it was the only ability offered, and then several other minor abilities.

It's a bit over the top, honestly.
    Also ~+8 Nat Armour and a free level of Sorcerer Casting. Not much use to the OP considering the whole no magic thing, but everyone can benefit from a Magic Missile in a crisis.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Also ~+8 Nat Armour and a free level of Sorcerer Casting. Not much use to the OP considering the whole no magic thing, but everyone can benefit from a Magic Missile in a crisis.
    There are quite a few tactically useful level 1 spells. First ones that come to mind for me are Benign Transposition and Blockade. Access to those two three or four times a day (Plus fun with caltrops) is an asset by itself to me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The part people always fail to remember about dragonspawn is the whole being a thrall of the dragon that created you aspect, not to mention being very campaign-specific.
    BEEP.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

A lil hard on the backstory, but if you're playing an evil campaign, working for a White Dragon ain't that bad.