New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Metamagic in Domain Spell Slots? (D&D3.5)

I've taken a look around and I can not seem to find anything regarding whether it is legal to use a Domain Spell Slot for a lower-level spell with a Metamagic attached (though I'll admit my search-fu is weak).

For example, If you have the War Domain is it legal to use your eighth level domain spell slot to prepare a Quickened Divine Power, or a seventh level slot to prepare an Empowered Flame Strike?

I'm not interested in whether is may be the most optimal choice of spell preparation, just whether it is rules legal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metamagic in Domain Spell Slots? (D&D3.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    I've taken a look around and I can not seem to find anything regarding whether it is legal to use a Domain Spell Slot for a lower-level spell with a Metamagic attached (though I'll admit my search-fu is weak).

For example, If you have the War Domain is it legal to use your eighth level domain spell slot to prepare a Quickened Divine Power, or a seventh level slot to prepare an Empowered Flame Strike?

I'm not interested in whether is may be the most optimal choice of spell preparation, just whether it is rules legal.
    It is; it's still a domain spell, just at a different level. In fact, since you can always prepare lower-level spells in higher-level slots, you could prepare a normal divine power in an 8th-level slot if you wanted to.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Metamagic in Domain Spell Slots? (D&D3.5)

Yes.As an aside, posts on this board have a 10 character minimum.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show