New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Red Hand of Doom

Why do people like it so much? Why do people not like it so much? I've heard wildly varying reviews of it, so I was hoping for a larger selection of reviews to average out the differences.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom

Do you like dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3

No strong feelings one way or the other. (also no major spoilers please, in case I do run it.)

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

What is this "Red Hand of Doom" of which you speak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It's a simple iconic plot, and lots of fun. As a level 5-12 (I tihnk) adventure/campaign it also covers what many consider to be the most fun levels in 3.5 dnd.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfamiliar View Post
    It's a simple iconic plot, and lots of fun. As a level 5-12 (I tihnk) adventure/campaign it also covers what many consider to be the most fun levels in 3.5 dnd.
    That's apparently a misprint and it's intended to be from level 5-10

I find it fun but I get to play a homebrew version of Paladin and have a homebrew dragon mount now so that's probably a factor (Dragons are my favorite mythical creature)

EDIT: Plus, Paladins are my favorite class.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-07-21 at 08:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

May people like/dislike it due to one unifying fact...It can and possibly will cause TPKs if your party is underoptimised OR it will be a massive cake walk if you have a party of power gamers.

From what I have heard, RHOD is best run using as few splat books as possible since it was a rather early made campaign in DnD's lifecycle and was not made with several quite common powergamer builds that have only been made possible by these later books.

Also, without giving TOO much away...Blaster AoE casters are NOT underpowered, you WILL need energy resistance of many types, and running away is ALWAYS an option unless its not...(if/when you play this campaign you will understand what I mean)

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    May people like/dislike it due to one unifying fact...It can and possibly will cause TPKs if your party is underoptimised OR it will be a massive cake walk if you have a party of power gamers.

From what I have heard, RHOD is best run using as few splat books as possible since it was a rather early made campaign in DnD's lifecycle and was not made with several quite common powergamer builds that have only been made possible by these later books.

Also, without giving TOO much away...Blaster AoE casters are NOT underpowered, you WILL need energy resistance of many types, and running away is ALWAYS an option unless its not...(if/when you play this campaign you will understand what I mean)
    Sounds like Dark Sun, 'cept that's level 1-60. xP

Sounds kinda fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, one question about the campaign. Spoilered for those here who haven't played it.

Spoiler
    Show
    We just killed a red dragon. I don't remember its name but it was in the forest with the people on giant owls and it had a ring of minor cold resistance and we're about to go to "Rest". Anybody know how far into the campaign we are?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Oh, one question about the campaign. Spoilered for those here who haven't played it.

Spoiler
    Show
    We just killed a red dragon. I don't remember its name but it was in the forest with the people on giant owls and it had a ring of minor cold resistance and we're about to go to "Rest". Anybody know how far into the campaign we are?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rhest is not yet halfway through the adventure.
    Edit: You might be playing with some modifications though, pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be a Red Dragon near Rhest.
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2010-07-21 at 08:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfamiliar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rhest is not yet halfway through the adventure.
    Edit: You might be playing with some modifications though, pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be a Red Dragon near Rhest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe. It appears that the red dragon was also way too strong for any normal group. We're level 10 and we only had a 20% chance of hitting the thing due to it having 32 AC and us not having a wizard. Although, as a class feature of my favorite Paladin ever I had a touch attack to deal with him

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

RHoD presents a unifed compelling theme across some of the widely regarded best levels of 3.5 D&D.

It has the widely regarded strongest monster as one of your main competition, with recommended power ups, and in situations designed very well to favor them.

It also has a host of memorable but incredibly weak and pathetic enemy NPCs.

As such, you play an epic D&D game, filled with tough fights you barely scrape by against powerful opposition, but lots of opportunities to prove how awesome and cool you are too.

The Plot is well done and cohesive, and never leaves you in a random "Damn, what do we do now?" moment, and involves about 1000 times less arbitrary DM fiat rules abuse than most modules.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As a DM, I liked RHoD because it was incredibly well-written. It had a lot of things in it that gave the DM options for what to do if the PCs do X, optional encounters, and a campaign timeline with notes on modifications based on the PCs' successes at certain tasks. Also, dragons!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    It had a lot of things in it that gave the DM options for what to do if the PCs do X, optional encounters, and a campaign timeline with notes on modifications based on the PCs' successes at certain tasks.
    This too, I think it would be more fun to play with a group good at seperating meta, or to tell your PCs straight up:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You destroyed the Bridge, and now, the horde is set back X days or Y strength.

Because Red Hand does an excellent job of allowing character actions to really affect things in more than the obvious "X is dead" form, even if it is all DM fiat.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Although, as a class feature of my favorite Paladin ever I had a touch attack to deal with him
    Don't tell me it was the Dragon Killer.

Shivering Touch for those not in the know.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Don't tell me it was the Dragon Killer.

Shivering Touch for those not in the know.
    Nope. Deals divine damage equal to half my class level + my charisma modifier in D8s so 10d8 worth of damage just for spending a single turn undead attempt.

It still took a while to kill him and the ranger in the group dealt a critical which helped a lot

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Running it right now on PbP here. I'm certainly enjoying it so far, and it's fairly well-written. However, the enemies are, by default, kind of a cakewalk for optimized parties, hence why I've been optimizing most of them... quite a bit.

On a separate and completely unrelated note, I just PK'd my first PC this campaign! It just happened at the Vraath Keep encounter.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    On a separate and completely unrelated note, I just PK'd my first PC this campaign! It just happened at the Vraath Keep encounter.
    You didn't PK a PC.

PK can either be Party Kill, to indicate that a PC killed another PC, or as 2/3rd of the phrase TPK means Total Party Kill, as in the party is being killed. (Usually meaning, as opposed to TPK, the entire party but one individual.) Since you didn't party kill, and you are the DM, you didn't PK.

19. - Top - End - #19

He could be Penalty Kicking them. In the nads.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

PK = Player Killing in WoW/MMORPGs IIRC.

Though, usually you're a player yourself...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, terminology difference. I was referring to it in the generic "Player Kill" sense.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I think the positive things about it is that it's one of the better-paced and better-written campaign games out there. The fluff isn't utterly interchangeable with other modules, it actually has an impact on the game. It freely admits the rough inferiority of many encounters given the party's intervention in the campaign world is more or less unexpected. It's the antithesis of the "trigger on entering room" dungeon; it builds in intensity. It also offers several different biomes, doesn't ever reduce itself to endless dungeoncrawling, and offers actual interesting skill-based challenges. The ticking time limit is also a plus; it gives a lot more immediacy to the idea that you've only got so long to get stuff done, which does impact on the 'endless time to build stuff' option.

I think it's also reeeeasonably customisable for more optimised parties if you know what you're doing; there's several good campaign journals on this site which give you a blow-by-blow for how to do it. And the climax of the adventure is just Made Of Awesome.

Probably its weak points are that one or two plot hooks are a little thin, but overall the game is somehow very good at making the players actually give a damn about the NPCs that inhabit the campaign universe.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

I think it is pretty meh, compared to actually good adventure modules. It is terribly one-sided (kill this, kill that... as boring as watching bread), the overarching plot is uninspired and the one element which actually could have an impact on the game , the time table for the Evil Horde of Evil progression, has too little impact on the game to really care.

It's playable, but way too one sided and flat to be very interesting in the long run, mostly to the lack of variation in the challenges.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post

My party was not heavily optimized, but it was mostly a cakewalk for the first couple of encounters. Then I started tweaking everything. It turned out to be challenging, epic and memorable for everyone.

I didn't find it to be a flat all-combat hackfest; some of the built-in roleplaying options were dealt with interestingly by my party. The Ghostlord terrified them, and they even found the interactions with the elves quite interesting.

If there's any part that kind of degenerates to hack-and-slash, it's the final dungeon.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-07-22 at 03:45 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I started as a player in 2 RHoD groups here on the forums. One did not even start but was dropped shortly after the characters were accepted, the other one got a few pages before ending. I would finally like to play it to the end for once. I liked what I saw sofar. You can always pimp the little guys if you feel they are too weak.
    Act well before thinking!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

So is this a downloadable module or do i buy it from a shop?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Buyable. And the reason it's so well-liked? It's a well-written module. Sure, difficulty needs to be adjusted and there's one horribly written place in it, but the shell and the ways in which it engages the players are excellent. The story is quite compelling and it just works.

There have been a few extremely good Campaign Journals on RHoD here, which certainly increases the stocks. Quick list:
    Saph's Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal
    Kjones's Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal Part I & Part II
    AslanCross's Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    You're about on my pace then, I've had to increase levels on a few things, since I have 10-13 PCs depending on who shows up, but I've killed 2 PCs so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bullrushing the stone shaping cleric off the bridge was fun!

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateGuy

Thanks for the shoutout, Eldariel - I can state with confidence that my campaign journal is, in fact, excellent.

I'll sum up my overall thoughts on the strengths of the module by quoting myself:

Unlike many other modules, the Red Hand of Doom module does a good job of not assuming that the players will take the straight-and-narrow path, and to its credit, it provides many provisions for what to do with wandering players, or those who miss a plot token or two along the way. However, the Vale is a big place, and many areas are simply not well fleshed out. I'm thinking specifically of the Hammerfast Holds here, but there are many others. Again, recall that this module should be viewed as a framework, and take the opportunity to flesh out small towns, minor NPCs, and random encounters on your own. Or be good at improvising, and remain consistent. If the party insists on wandering about the Vale, however, relate everything back to the coming of the Red Hand. Sooner or later, they'll get the picture.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    Why do people like it so much? Why do people not like it so much? I've heard wildly varying reviews of it, so I was hoping for a larger selection of reviews to average out the differences.
    Compared to other d&d modules I tried it was quite good compared to what other gaming systems have to offer especially dark eye it is simply lacking both in detail, complexity and variety, its like comparing wheel of time and a song of ice and fire to eragon . sadly most gaming systems with awesome story modules/campaigns have the worst mechanics, wonder why that is?