New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: thoughts

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default thoughts

heres a build I came up with after looking over the board and was wondering if you could help flesh it out a bit.

the build is spellthief 1/ wizard 4/ spellwarp sniper 5/ unseen seer 10.

the feats that I have so far for the build are point blank shot, master spellthief, practiced spellcaster, and darkstalker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: thoughts

Generally, you'll want to take the levels in Unseen Seer first to nab Hunter's Eye and a couple of Ranger spells from Spell Compendium that auto-crit with ranged attacks and similar such shenanigans.

You don't actually need practiced spellcaster to overcome the penalties from Unseen Seer on non-divination caster level due to the wording of master spellthief bypasses it.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Spellwarp Sniper, as I'd rather use TWFing to get me the DPS I want from all them sneak attacks. It's more a personal thing, though.

Darkstalker ist nice, though. Extend Spell and Persistent Spell are both must-haves for things like Hunter's Eye, Wraithstrike (assuming you want to melee), and whatever X Strike spells you have to bypass sneak attack immunity without blowing your swift action in combat.

I also suggest taking whatever the Assassin Spell in Complete Scoundrel is - I want to say "Healer's Vision" - as it gives some more bonuses to sneak attacks.

Craven is also a solid choice to take. You have the will save for the -2 penalty, and it's basically power attack for sneak attack users.

I may also just link you to a handbook, assuming my Google-Fu gets you there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

yeah, he going to be a ranged fighter more then anything else so I think I have an idea how it's going to go for the feats, but my feat and class fu is not as strong as yours and the rest of the forums so I thought I would ask.

I knew that master spellthief let me stack caster levels but i didn't know it over came the -3 from USS.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

What is a spellwarp sniper?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

see complete scoundrel, page 64.

basicly it's a PRC that lets you turn your spells into rays.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I may also just link you to a handbook, assuming my Google-Fu gets you there.
    This one, for example.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.